Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News What if Shepard dies?

Black

Arcane
Seems pretty tough.
New Vegas- ammo has weight.
ME- dead means dead
Wow, lots of hardcore games nowadays.

DraQ

Arcane
Eastern Europe seems to have missed the memo and the games like STALKER - ammo weight, lack of bloom or overdone GFX, rather merciless weapon damage and lack of cover systems (for player) are still being produced.

Volourn said:
Eh. Makes since. if your Shepard dies, he dies. Not fuckin' complex so why all the crying? FFS

Only for you to play as Shepard anyways in 3 (with the unbelievable consequence of losing your levels), therefore turning all the somewhat interesting "zomg u can die in 2, I wonder what'll happen in 3" business into just an amusing alternate ending with no impact on the next game

I also imagine your companions dying won't affect things either, since you got almost a whole new team for 2. You'll probably get a whole new team for 3.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Gylfi.Fenriz.Conquests said:
IF done correctly, it would PISS THE HELL off of console retards

yeah ok maybe i live in a dream world of "morals" :shock:

I think you're just, uhm, a bit over-appreciative of Bioware. Of both their goals and their talents.

UPD. It doesn't of course mean that you can't "roleplay" as much moral depth as you wish into ME2. It's a roleplaying game after all, isn't it? :roll:

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Volourn said:
Eh. Makes sense. if your Shepard dies, he dies. Not fuckin' complex so why all the crying? FFS
Mass Effect 2: MY SHEPARD DIES AN HONORABLE DEATH PROTECTING THE ONES HE LOVE.
Mass Effect 3: BIOWARE IS GIVING ME A NEW SHEPARD BECAUSE I DID SOMETHING THEY DIDN'T WANT ME TO DO.

So, yes, crying. Lots and lots of crying.

Boo hoo.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Sounds like quality Choices and Consequences (TM). I bet VD will love it.

burrie

Scholar
I have to admit that I'm somewhat confused why Bioware makes such a big point about it. Way I see it, dying at the end of ME2 should basically show a Game Over screen, not a The End cutscene + Credits, unless it *was* going to have some sort of consequence in ME3.

Edit: Hell, even something unexpected(and possible lame) as The Illusive Man looking at a room where a clone of Shephard is growing would've worked. For now, I don't quite see the purpose of the current Shephard-less ending.

So, Bioware's Deep, Gritty, Mature choices don't have actual consequences, but are just there to give a thinly-veiled illusion of C&C...?

How is this news. We've all known this since Baldur's Gate.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
chicago_bankroll said:
So, Bioware's Deep, Gritty, Mature choices don't have actual consequences, but are just there to give a thinly-veiled illusion of C&C...?

How is this news. We've all known this since Baldur's Gate.
Not exactly, seeing as BG1 didn't have choices and is as linear as Final Fantasy 7. Bioware has improved when it comes to providing choices but it'll be a very long time before they learn how to provide consequences for them.

Dny

Educated
The codex truly is a bunch of dumb cunts that are so troll hungry they'll even criticize the things that Bioware did right. Shepard dying in ME2 is no different than the Vault Dweller getting put in a VAT in Fallout 1 thus going against FO2 canon. That they made it possible to so utterly fail is a nice thing with a local effect (on ME2). What did you expect Bioware to do, to branch out the story into two wholly different games ? think of it that way : your shepard died, it's the end of the story. No ME3.

Think of it as a fancy and much better "game over" screen that is brought if you did everything wrong while playing the game.

Crooked Bee said:

I think you're just, uhm, a bit over-appreciative of Bioware. Of both their goals and their talents.

UPD. It doesn't of course mean that you can't "roleplay" as much moral depth as you wish into ME2. It's a roleplaying game after all, isn't it? :roll:

ihih no i don't think RP is something you add interpreting the game, it's either there or not.

Point is, if in ME2 death is the final result of MANY of the choices you make during the game, and you can't "repent", AND these choices aren't too obviously avoidable, then it's a good Rpg, imo.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Crooked Bee said:

ihih no i don't think RP is something you add interpreting the game, it's either there or not.

Point is, if in ME2 death is the final result of MANY of the choices you make during the game, and you can't "repent", AND these choices aren't too obviously avoidable, then it's a good Rpg, imo.

I haven't played this ridiculous bullshit but you can bet your ass it's going to be a last-minute end-game choice wtf is goin on

made

Arcane
Dny said:
Think of it as a fancy and much better "game over" screen that is brought if you did everything wrong while playing the game.

Which actions exactly lead to Shepards death then? I know that squad members can die if they're not loyal (ie you skipped their side quest) when you assign them a special task or you didn't upgrade the Normandy. So I would assume Shepard dies if you skipped all of the above and just breezed through the mandatory missions. Would be nice if it weren't that transparent.

Bioware should implement this easy and obvious solution:

Import a dead shepard into ME3. A cutscene pops up showing your grave or whatever, on it displaying a list of your great accomplishments for the universe. Then it shows how whatever is the enemy in ME3 takes over the universe as humanity is powerless to stop it. Or maybe if you made certain choices then humanity is powerful enough to beat back the threat. Thats all. The game ends.

DraQ

Arcane
Dny said:
The codex truly is a bunch of dumb cunts that are so troll hungry they'll even criticize the things that Bioware did right. Shepard dying in ME2 is no different than the Vault Dweller getting put in a VAT in Fallout 1 thus going against FO2 canon.
It is. Bioware flaunts the fact that the dead Shepard won't import as "consequences" earning codex-wide ridicule and turning this thread into a dead Shepard comedy. If they chose to skip waving their dicks bragging about how awesome consequence it makes at the end they would have avoided lulzy consequences of their buzzspeak.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Dny said:
The codex truly is a bunch of dumb cunts that are so troll hungry they'll even criticize the things that Bioware did right. Shepard dying in ME2 is no different than the Vault Dweller getting put in a VAT in Fallout 1 thus going against FO2 canon. That they made it possible to so utterly fail is a nice thing with a local effect (on ME2). What did you expect Bioware to do, to branch out the story into two wholly different games ? think of it that way : your shepard died, it's the end of the story. No ME3.

Getting dipped in the vats is a game over in Fallout. You screwed up. You're dead. BAD END.

In ME2, Bioware made a huge deal about how all these choices you were presented with have consequences, and one example they gave was how Shepard can die in ME2. They acted like this was a big deal that would have consequences in the future, but of course now it turns out that it doesn't.

If you can't see the obvious differences between Fallout and ME then you should probably go back and play both again.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
As I understood it, Shepard dies if you do the final mission with too few loyal companions. So there's only one decision involved; deciding to go in before you're ready.

I guess the main point of threatening Shepard with death is to pad out the game by strongly encouraging players to complete all the recruitment/loyalty quests, without having to come up with some contrived reason for why it's impossible to progress in the game without doing them.

And Bioware never said that there were going to be direct consequences in ME3 depending on if Shepard lives or dies in ME2. They made it clear from the start that the effect of Shepard dying is that the story of your personal Shepard is over, and you'll have to play on with a different story as a generic Shepard in ME3.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Dny said:
Shepard dying in ME2 is no different than the Vault Dweller getting put in a VAT in Fallout 1 thus going against FO2 canon.
This is awesome signature material. I thank the heavens every day for people like you. Then I start to think I should buy myself a gun and cut my hair into a fancy mohawk.

made

Arcane
Spectacle said:
As I understood it, Shepard dies if you do the final mission with too few loyal companions. So there's only one decision involved; deciding to go in before you're ready.
Well, that's lame. The side quests are the game. Strip those and you're left with what, 3-5 missions? The choice is basically play the game or skip right to the credits.

All those missions have some C&C at the end - the choice being usually whether to kill someone or not, and the consequence being... actually, I don't know, there seems to be none apart from paragon/renegade points; it appears you gain their loyalty no matter how you handle the situation. Lots of missed potential there.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Xor said:
Dny said:

Getting dipped in the vats is a game over in Fallout. You screwed up. You're dead. BAD END.

In ME2, Bioware made a huge deal about how all these choices you were presented with have consequences, and one example they gave was how Shepard can die in ME2. They acted like this was a big deal that would have consequences in the future, but of course now it turns out that it doesn't.

So now the difference isn't in the game itself but in the fucking marketing? Jesus christ.

OH MAH LAWD A CORPORATION MAKES A BIGGER DEAL OF IT'S GAME THAN IT REALLY IS I MUST SUE SOMEBODY.

CK - you actually expected them to make a whole new character if your Shepard died? That pretty much implies they would have to make a game in which everybody said "OMG U SHEPPERD" and an alternate where people would go "who r u lol".

I'm all up for giving crap to Bioware - hell, they've reduced this genre to mediocrity - but this is just stupid.

Tycn

Savant
IMO death itself is the heaviest and harshest of the consequences ever conceivable if done well, it was already a miracle that they implemented such a penalty in ME2... we should already be thankful. Obviously it has to be prooved HOW exactly it is avoidable, if it's too easy or too hard(the latter i seriously doubt)

And it's the best consequence because it's not "you're dead, plz reload", it's "permanent" death forcing you practically to replay the whole game(or not, and accept it as you accept crying the end of "the Gladiator" or Romeo and Juliet, which would import tragedy in videogames which would be a great evolution for the media), it's the result of MOST of your actions/decisions, that are harshly thrown in your face at the end with a scene of inevitable agony and pain. This points out that you can't just reload the savegame previous of the ONE fatal choice, it must be the consequence of MANY and CAREFULLY hidden choices thruout the game, that in the end are there to even make a final morale(don't follow your instincts. love always brings you to self-destruction, or such similar shakespearean morales)

I repeat IF done correctly, it would PISS THE HELL off of console retards, it would literally push them to suicide, and yet they WILL buy the game, because they don't know of this mechanic. It's the best feature also because of this, because it's great for hardcore adventurers, and it's something the retards can't see at first.

and it's the reason why most new players hate Sierra adventures of the early 90's and why they instead love the lucasarts' style. I dare even say videogamers turned into wusses because they got lucasarsed into the concept of immortality.

In ME2 it's almost impossible to die. It only happens if all 11 of your party members dies - that takes eleven different screwups. And in the extremely unlikely event that this happens you could always replay the final mission.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
That's why I hate world recycling and sequels in cRPG genre.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom