Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is a good (recent) 2d-style/side-scroller action games? (Can also be top-down zelda-clones)

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
A couple of fun 2d mecha action games made by a JP indie dev.

And one from another dev.

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Children of Morta released today, if you like Binding of Isaac type dungeon crawls or just top down action in general I highly recommend it, it's got great artwork and a ton of details, good writing and a decent narrator. Feels like the game Bastion wanted to be.

Wait wtf that trailer shows literally no gameplay what were they thinking? They made a whole animated video that isn't even in the game for the trailer.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/330020/

qhdenzV.jpg

That's... not even the whole house. And it's animated. And it changes over time as you play and unlock more characters and trophies and finish odd side quests. And it's literally just the bit in between the actual fighting where you buy upgrades. I've spent at least half an hour just panning around waiting to see what the characters would say and looking at little details in the background. I've read all the backgrounds for the characters that's buried in the menu because I actually wanted to know why John's step brother has a limp and why he broke up with his ex. I rescued a wolf pup and the family nursed it back to health and built it a dog house. There were five completely unique well drawn rooms in the dungeon related just to it. It's served no gameplay purpose so far and I'm not sure it ever will. I love this game.

Last edited:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Children of Morta released today, if you like Binding of Isaac type dungeon crawls or just top down action in general I highly recommend it, it's got great artwork and a ton of details, good writing and a decent narrator. Feels like the game Bastion wanted to be.

Wait wtf that trailer shows literally no gameplay what were they thinking? They made a whole animated video that isn't even in the game for the trailer.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/330020/

qhdenzV.jpg

That's... not even the whole house. And it's animated. And it changes over time as you play and unlock more characters and trophies and finish odd side quests. And it's literally just the bit in between the actual fighting where you buy upgrades. I've spent at least half an hour just panning around waiting to see what the characters would say and looking at little details in the background. I've read all the backgrounds for the characters that's buried in the menu because I actually wanted to know why John's step brother has a limp and why he broke up with his ex. I rescued a wolf pup and the family nursed it back to health and built it a dog house. There were five completely unique well drawn rooms in the dungeon related just to it. It's served no gameplay purpose so far and I'm not sure it ever will. I love this game.

The graphics are almost too detail-rich in my opinion, they look certainly beautiful, but during gameplay I often find myself distracted by simple details of the landscape which often makes me wonder if its an object to interact with or just scenery

Also I hate it when they put movement on the analog stick and not on the d-pad

Doktor Best

Arcane
It has been said here before but ill repeat it anyways: Everyone who likes Metroidvanias even a bit owes it to himself to play Hollow Knight. Its almost the perfect iteration of that genre and does many things in a new and innovative way while other modern competition mostly does the old and tried formula.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
It has been said here before but ill repeat it anyways: Everyone who likes Metroidvanias even a bit owes it to himself to play Hollow Knight. Its almost the perfect iteration of that genre and does many things in a new and innovative way while other modern competition mostly does the old and tried formula.
I proudly display the chievo for beating Nightmare Boss Grimm in my achievement showcase on Steam. I died dozens of times to that bastard before finally becoming triumphant.

El Pollo Diablo

Educated
For those into really difficult side-scrollers, the new Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection (now also on Steam) is pretty insane. On the highest difficulty (which is also the default) it took me hours of retries just to get to the first checkpoint. It's one of those games where you really need to study each section and execute almost perfectly to make progress. And often, at first, sections seem downright unfair (like the one where if you miss an enemy you'll likely hit an eye that spawns a horde of new enemies), but the longer you play each section, the more you see patterns emerge and figure out ways on how to make it easier for you. I really haven't seen such a gameplay loop since the early 90s, except maybe in Volgarr, but it's a different loop in the sense that there are permanent checkpoints, just getting between them is more difficult. Got its share of hate from the gaming press because of the difficulty too, which I always consider a plus.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I've been watching some vids on the new GnG. I've always loved that fucking hard game. So many lost quarters. Picked it up on c64 and NES. Such different beasts. Good franchise in general imo.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
anyone mention Salt & Sanctuary yet? Very cool side-scrolling RPG that is heavy on the RPG elements. I dig it. :)

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I need to find more Zelda-like. Ouroboros Dungeon isn't doing much for me. I might be at max level and the relaxing music makes me sleepy.

edit... nope hit lvl 28 so no max yet.

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Someone made a port for Zelda - Link's Awakening (DX HD) with a map that has no cuts or loadings.
Instantly C&D-ed by Big N
nothing that can't be found on Internet Archive tho

Whenever I see these kinds of fan projects where someone is creating new assets to remake some game or something I just think about how stupid it is. You just make some changes, call it something else, and the rights holders can’t come after you. You make it a parody and they can’t come after you. You just remake something, especially while that company is selling a remake, and you’re just asking for the thing you made to be taken down the moment you put it up. Also means you can’t sell the thing you made even if the publisher doesn’t make you take it down.

Looks cool though.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Well, you can still get it but I don’t know if it runs or is error free. It could be a buggy version 1.0 out there.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Whoever did this also left source code. They knew what they were doing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom