Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is the best recent Obsidian RPG?

What's your favourite from the last 5 years?

• Total voters

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I'm curious to see which RPG reigns supreme.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Deadfire. Will be solidified once it gets turn-based mode in February.

Pillars 1 was mediocre except for the expansion. Tyranny had potential, but it was never fully realized.

Lhynn

Arcane
Tyranny was shit, and made with a shoestring budget and it was still miles better than anything obsi put out in the last 5 years.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I come from the alternate universe where The White March was a standalone campaign, and it was glorious incline. But you didn't let me vote for that.

Monkey Baron

Arbiter
Patron
I helped put crap in Monomyth
The Stick of Truth is the best one out of all those games. Keep in mind The Stick of Truth was mostly written by the makers of South Park. I also recall reading somewhere that the game wasn't finished by the time Ubisoft acquired the rights. Really makes you think.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Deadfire hands down. Once most spergs get their heads out of their asses and actually played the finalized release now that all DLC are out, they will change their minds too...

PS: Writing is not everything in CRPGs. For fuck's shake, visit a library and stop playing video games, you are on the wrong hobby dudes...

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Funny how Tyranny was blasted for being worse than PoE1, but now it's better than both it and Dumpsterfire.

It is typical on the Codex, retards always blast new games without having played them, only to later play them and change their minds. It will happen to Deadfire eventually, mark my words. 90% of the people who trashtalk Deadfire never installed the thing and 5% just played for 5 minutes and stopped. Give it some time, eventually most will recognize it as an all-time classic. It happened with Baldur's Gate too...

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Funny how Tyranny was blasted for being worse than PoE1, but now it's better than both it and Dumpsterfire.

It is typical on the Codex, retards always blast new games without having played them, only to later play them and change their minds. It will happen to Deadfire eventually, mark my words. 90% of the people who trashtalk Deadfire never installed the thing and 5% just played for 5 minutes and stopped. Give it some time, eventually most will recognize it as an all-time classic. It happened with Baldur's Gate too...

I played it, I think it's better than POE1 overall but the main story path is even less compelling than POE1. I personally find the combat to be clusterfucky, moreso than past RTWP RPGs. Towards the end game I was sailing around harassing ships but eventually grew bored and couldn't be bothered to go after Eothas for the final showdown.

Tyranny felt more engaging to me story wise than both POE titles, different playthrough paths give some replayability and the spellcrafting component was an improvement to combat.

The main problem with new Obsidian and their games to me is that story/character wise they are weaker than previous titles, the titles they are producing are more technically competent, but these improvements just don't outweigh the loss in writing ability. The games just don't seem to hit any great highs in any particular area, old Obsidian atleast had some highs in writing (as far as PC RPGs go).

Falksi

Arcane
I've not played Deadfire yet, but POE was a decent enough, one-time romp which had some enjyable elements to it and did a lot right.

However I fucking thrived on Tyranny. I've still yet to finish it as my PC can't handle the mid-late graphics, but up unto that point I've absolutely thoroughly enjoyed every second of it.

South Park was funny, but got very old very fast & I couldn't be arsed with it after around 10 hours.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Either South Park or PoE 2. Both are on about the same level of quality for me.
PoE 2 is definitely longer, so you get more for what you buy.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
deadfire, despite the haters and while the game still have flaws (especially in story structure) it is the best obsidian games at least technically (the best game imo still is new vegas) but deadfire wasn't plagued by bugs and shitty engine (even day 1 the bugs are never at new vegas/kotor2/ nwn 2 level) and by 1-2 months the game is pretty polished.

Loostreaks

Learned
Stick of Truth, no contest. PoE I/II were bland, dull IE copycats with none of the character and charm, despite good number of QoL improvements. Hell, even Dungeon Siege III was more enjoyable.
Tyranny stands out a bit more: spell crafting, art, factions, premise/themes and the setting. But the writing quality is what ultimately drags it down. Done by old Obsidian, would've been an absolute classic otherwise.

Lhynn

Arcane
The Stick of Truth is much better than Tyranny or the PoE series, which is so fucking sad.
Go Replay tyranny. It has some decent reactivity. This puts it above South Park thing. Tho the rest of it is pretty lackluster.

jf8350143

Liturgist
I actually like Deadfire more than New Vegas. It's the same reason I like Deadfire more than Kingmaker. The good part in Deadfire is not as good as New Vegas, but overall it's a less frustrating experience because it's less buggy, didn't crash as much and didn't require me to push the W button for 10 minutes before something interesting happens. Also the combat is more fun than New Vegas.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Deadfire hands down. Once most spergs get their heads out of their asses and actually played the finalized release now that all DLC are out, they will change their minds too...

PS: Writing is not everything in CRPGs. For fuck's shake, visit a library and stop playing video games, you are on the wrong hobby dudes...

Why did people hate Siege of Dragonspear then? It was set in a tried and true engine, the fights were (mostly) praised and it had decent items. It should have been at least on par with an above average BG/NWN mod written by someone who's first language wasn't English. And yet it didn't do well.

Deleted Member 16721

Fallout: New Vegas.

And Siege of Dragonspear (off-topic) had quality writing and the personalities of key characters were not altered at all. I played it recently in a BG:EE -> SoD -> BG2:EE EET run, and it was quality all around. They just dipped too deeply in the bestiary a bit for my tastes, making some encounters a little too "epic".

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
FNV was the only decent game they ever made, all their other games suck.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
The only thing that's worse about Deadfire compared to New Vegas is that it's not set in the Fallout universe.

Everything else is mostly the same, or better. Skill checks, quest design, reactivity, and the faction system are the same quality. Exploration, character building, and presentation/polish are all better than New Vegas.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Tyranny no doubt Pillowss of banality and dumpster fire were banal shit boring RPGees for Millennials and Stick of thruth although funny (it war written by South Park authors) is more of adventure than role playing game. New Version of Tyranny with DLCs however has terrible optimization and runs worse than vanilla did on my old less powerful comp. But atleast it offers somewhat interesting setting of bronze age and lot of C&C, combat was shit though but I yet to play a Obshitian made game which has good combat so...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom