Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is the best "Settlers like" game?

covr

Prophet
Patron
And please don't say Settlers II. I've played all Sierra caesar-like games, Knights and Merchants, Childern of the Nile (or whatever it was called), currenty I'm playing Grand Ages Rome - Gold Edition and it is quite good.
Eons ago I've tried the firs Anno game and first Tropico. I didn't like it. But it was 17 and 14 years ago, I was much dumber then.
Never played Cultures.

laclongquan

Arcane
I dont think Children of the Nile fit in your "settler-like" definition. Because if it is, then CotN and Caesar3/Pharaoh/Zeus is where it's at.

And in that case, it's hard to say which game is the best. Because each is different from the rest.

catfood

AGAIN
K&M is the best Settlers game. If you think any different you are wrong

Also Anno, Tropico and Caesar-like games are completely different from Settlers.

insukk

Augur
Patron
Codex 2012
K&M is the best Settlers game. If you think any different you are wrong

Knights & Merchants is not a better game than S2 (nothing is in this genre, to be honest) in my opinion, but aside from the retarded AI when it comes to switching army formations, it's a very fun and addictive game.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
If you are willing to consider the Annos "Settlers like", I'd say Anno 1404 / Venice.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't think there's a modern offering of this type of genre, unfortunately. Widelands looks way too badly aged, it just doesn't have that timeless quality that some older titles have. Banished is weird, I tried to like it but I couldn't get into it. It also doesn't explain anything (at least when I played it last) and it's hard to understand what is going on and how to build stuff or order people. Cultures was fun, but too viking focused and it starts getting samey quite fast.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Does Stronghold count?
I had a lot of fun with the first one and the crusaders expansion. Didn't try the sequels.

Stronghold-Kingdoms-31.jpg

It had the whole settlers thing with supply lines where goods were refined into more useful goods and you had to keep your peasants from starving. As an added bonus, you got to build moats and trebuchets.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
The game didn't have that much of color and soul. Is it from Beta or something?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Stronghold is a very good game by the way. Stronghold 1 and Crusader though, 2 has its charms but it's worse than the first one. The third one is awful to an unimaginable degree and Stronghold Crusader 2 is meh. It isn't the same as the Settlers though, it has much more of a military focus. Two had a fun economic campaign however. It also isn't as fiddly as Settlers/Cultures.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
The game didn't have that much of color and soul. Is it from Beta or something?

Eh... I just googled "stronghold game" for screenshots. I might've gotten one from this by accident:
http://www.strongholdkingdoms.com/

:dead:

Here's from the 2001 game:

stronghold-002-710x443.jpg

stronghold1.jpg

Stronghold-Crusader-4.jpg

Stronghold%20screen.jpg

Stronghold-1.jpg

As you can see, the color saturation is way lower. This is because old PCs didn't have the technology to handle stupidly bright colors.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Are the Anno games actually good? I've had my eyes on that series for a while, but I don't know anything about it.
Depends on what you like. They are the closest thing to Settlers without being Settlers, in other words lots of resource balancing, lots of getting your logistics right so everyone has the right goods, lots of attention to detail, but very little and simplified combat. So if you like AKSHUN it's not for you. But then neither is Settlers.

I actually prefer Anno especially since Settlers 3 and beyond where they went full retard with the Nintendo-y comical art style.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Depends on what you like. They are the closest thing to Settlers without being Settlers, in other words lots of resource balancing, lots of getting your logistics right so everyone has the right goods, lots of attention to detail, but very little and simplified combat. So if you like AKSHUN it's not for you. But then neither is Settlers.

I actually prefer Anno especially since Settlers 3 and beyond where they went full retard with the Nintendo-y comical art style.

I don't think anyone plays a Settlers-type game for the combat :p I'll definitely take a look at Anno then. Which one do you think is the best in the series?

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't think anyone plays a Settlers-type game for the combat I'll definitely take a look at Anno then. Which one do you think is the best in the series?
I haven't played all of them, only the first one (1602 I think), 1404 and 2070.

I think 1404 is the best. 2070 has better grafix and is more complex but I like the historical setting more, it fits better with the game.

2070 is a bit nex-gen in that it focuses too much on the story (which is a bad idea since it sucks, just like all the Anno games) but it's still fun to play, they didn't dumb down the mechanics at all. Especially if you get it on a Steam sale with all the DLC.

:Flash:

Arcane
OK, it's certainly not the best game in this genre, but now that so many games have been mentioned, I have to throw in Beasts & Bumpkins.
It's certainly not a better game than Setters 2 or Anno 1602, but it is absolutely charming and has so many unique quirks. The game has a day/night cycle and seasons - night comes after each season, so it's fall - night - winter - night, etc.
In order for new people to join, a male and a female have to go into a hut during the night, and the next morning, a baby is born, which will first be a child, then a grown-up, and finally a granny or granpa, before finally collapsing. And you need to have a priest who buries them, or else the plague might break out in your settlement with corpses rotting on the street. Or you can just send the old people into the woods, where they'll be eaten by wolves, or into the enemies camp, when you see their death approaching.
This idea of people actually aging is very underused, IMO. It makes for some "last stand" situation, where you fight the enemy with an army of kids and grandpas throwing stones.
And people don't always follow your orders, they also commit crimes, like theft and even murder. Thus, you need to build a prison and decide on different punishments (prison, torture, death) for different crimes.
The games economy is a bit simplistic compared to Settlers, but it is so full of fun ideas to make up for it.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Some are more retarded than others. I would recommend you kill yourself or play Settlers 2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom