Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is the difference between being an oldfaq and being seriously oldfaq?

Were there any codexers who could have actually played the PLATO RPGs back in the day?
The Codexer known as Tom Baker's Arse claims to have played The Dungeon (a.k.a. PEDIT5) on the PLATO network at the University of Illinois. +M

Thats right mate. Back in my down-to-my-ass hippie student days at U of I-UC (Urbana-Champaign). I was a novelty with the women on campus back in those days - an Irish grad student with long flowing red hair. Ah the memories of youth.

My advisor’s advisor (at Urbana Champaign) would play on PLATO. I think it was The Dungeon, he said one day they found he had named characters after his grad students and it was weird.

That is fucking hilarious, but not altogether surprising back in those days. The drugs were still flowing freely, both staff and students, and attitudes were a helluva lot different than today. Thanks for the memory and the laugh, mate.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Different times, definitely. The culture of gaming was totally different, and attracted an entirely different set of people.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom