Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is the most insanely difficult CRPG you've ever played?

MisterStone

Arcane
Since there is so much (justified) complaining about the handholding that goes on in CRPGs today, I was wondering if anyone would like to talk about the most diffcult CRPG you have ever played.

When I say difficult, I don't just mean difficult in terms of combat... I mean, the puzzle/quest solving aspects are hard to figure out. In some cases, you might not even know exactly what the hell the point of the game is until you have played through a sizable piece of it.

The most ridiculously hard CRPG I can recall is Deathlord, an EA roleplaying game from 1987. This game looked more or less like Ultima, with tiled world and town/dungeon maps. You controlled a large party of your own design. The character classes in the game were a very wide range of fighter/thief/mage/priest variants with Japanese names such as Samurai, ninja, ronin, etc. etc... actually, the Japanese theme seemed more like an afterthought, and didn't really play a huge role in the game. It still more or less resembled an early Ultima in terms of style and gameplay. Combat was like Bard's Tale, etc., in that there was no tactical map, you just gave orders to your characters and the round would play out on a text prompt... if I remember correctly.

There were two reasons this game was fucking ridiculously hard. First, the world was HUGE, and there was an INSANE amount of game content. There was no map with the game package either, it was assumed that your party had no knowledge of the rest of the world, and would have to explore to figure things out. According to the Moby Games entry on deathlord, there were 12 continents in all... most of these were largely empty except for a few dungeons and towns. At the beginning of the game, you don't even know exactly what you are supposed to be doing. Eventually you understand that you are supposed to collect a bunch of words, artifacts, etc. in order to get access to the final ultimate baddie and kill it... and, of course, this involves exhaustively exploring every single continent. One of the cool things about the game was that each continent had a very distinctive style... you start out in a Japa-China style continent, and later come across ancient Egyptian-, snowy northern European-, Arabian- etc. style continents. Too bad the focus was not really on NPC interaction, but on beating dungeons...

The second thing that made this game so hard was the fact that whenever a character died IT IMMEDIATELY SAVED THE GAME. I can't remember how this worked, exactly, but I do know that when I was playing it on the Apple IIc (I was 11 or 12 at the time) I kept the save game disk sticking half-way out of the disk drive in order to avoid this. It was tough having to hear that nasty grinding sound when someone died, but I wasn't about to let my saved game file get written over. On top of this, there were all kinds of ridiculous death traps scattered about the dungeons, and some of the continents were so nasty that merely setting foot on them would get your party wiped out almost immediately. It made for suspenseful gameplay, allright, but come ON!

I don't know what the hell the design team was thinking when they released this game... it was fun, and had lots of content in terms of areas, loot, character abilities, etc., but it was just too frustrating, and pretty much impossible to win. It was probably the only RPG that I ever paid $$ for, but never finished. Has anyone else out there played it? Can you think of any other RPGs to top this in terms of sheer nastiness?

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Morrowind. It was just so hard to finish. I mean that. The sheer and utter boredom of whack-a-mole made it one of the most challenging RPGs I've tried to get through to date. There comes a point where you just go "eh" and can't stomach anymore.

Uz0rnaem

Scholar
Nox was pretty hard, because that game consisted of only two elements: Extremely twitchy combat and extremely twitchy jumping puzzles. Add some weird-ass controls to this and you have me in tears.

The game was still sort of fun though, with a lot of self-ironic humor.

DemonKing

Arcane
I thought the end battle(s) of Pools of Darkness were pretty difficult - I remember finishing off one huge horde of beholders and dragons with half the party dead only for another mob to come right on in. I think I gave it away at that stage.

Some of the puzzles in Bard's Tale II were so esoteric I had to break down and buy the game guide (this was in the days prior to the internet). Never had a problem with #s I or III though.

I had Deathlord on my C64 too, BTW! Fun but damn hard, from memory.

I remember playing the early Wizardry games on apples and the frantic rush to pull the disk out of the drive as soon as one fo the party died (no quick saves in those days).

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Sadly, it was EoB 2. I put in endless hours and I just couldn't get past the spider part. There has to be a secret door in some shit I missed.

The other game wa some crap SSI game. Bear the start of the game the answer to one quest was white zinfandel. It wanted you to type it in correct but the person who tells you its white zinfandel spelled it wrong. That fucked me for days. I didn't get that it was a spelling error so I tried about everything and then figured I check a dictionary.

I liked games a lot more before walkthroughs.

Now, for real rpgs and just overall pure challenge throughout, I'd say wiz 7.

Rina

Scholar
I haven't played most of the great oldschool RPG's, so my answer is soloing BG II & ToB. :S

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Maybe Wizardry 7...

Despite people's bitching, Wizardry 8 didn't seem near as hard.

Mind you...insanely difficult? Hmmm...hard pressed to think of one that has that level of ubar difficulty.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
There is no more difficult game than Wizardy 4
Not a single RPG was more difficult.

6? Not easy, especially at the beginning, but manageable. 7? Tough as nails, more so than 6 - one wrong turn and you are fucked - but manageable. Save often, DON'T rest often. I never rested. I always returned to a pool of healing. Also, horribly difficult puzzles if you didn't collect all clues. 8? Easy as pie - well, not really, but compared to 7, it was actually easy. Almost.

1? Horribly hard, if your didn't backup your disks. Like a rogue-like. More difficult than 6, as far as I am concerned. [And they get harder.]

But 4... 4 was the pinnacle of difficulty. No game I ever played was more difficult. I mean in all regards - combat and puzzles. It was THE ROCK. NO ONE told you what to do. No help was given. The puzzles were nearly impossible to figure out...

Spazmo

Erudite
It's funny. Maybe it's because I'm too young to have played the really old school shit, but I can't think of any really difficult RPGs. I recall the endings of both Icewind Dale II and BG2: Throne of Bhaal being a combination of tedious and difficult that made me cheat my way through, but otherwise nothing really stands out.

Hazelnut

Erudite
For me, assuming we're taking a broad view of CRPG's, it has to be the successor to Dungeon Master, Chaos Strikes Back!

Fuck that was hard, and I gave up because I was having no fun. Dungeons that re-arrange themselves or so it seemed, teleports and pits that dropped you god knows where - usually into the midst of some ridiculously tough monsters. I loved mapping DM on squared paper, but CsB eluded me - my brother did it though, but then he likes that kind of work-like challenge. I've not played it since so it's possible that I was simply becoming too interested in girls and booze at the time to persevere..

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Insanely difficult? No such thing.

The most challenging the first time though was FO1 since I acted like a doofus. Overall, it would be BG2 unless you found/got some over powered items.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Jasede said:

6? Not easy, especially at the beginning, but manageable. 7? Tough as nails, more so than 6 - one wrong turn and you are fucked - but manageable. Save often, DON'T rest often. I never rested. I always returned to a pool of healing. Also, horribly difficult puzzles if you didn't collect all clues. 8? Easy as pie - well, not really, but compared to 7, it was actually easy. Almost.

1? Horribly hard, if your didn't backup your disks. Like a rogue-like. More difficult than 6, as far as I am concerned. [And they get harder.]

But 4... 4 was the pinnacle of difficulty. No game I ever played was more difficult. I mean in all regards - combat and puzzles. It was THE ROCK. NO ONE told you what to do. No help was given. The puzzles were nearly impossible to figure out...

6 was easy. I bought 6 just to have a party to transfer to wiz 7. I blew through 6. I have never beet 7 (I loved it but it became far too tedious combat wise, just as 8 is).

I did play the wizardry (first) that was released on NES. That was more difficult. But I was also wicked young, so that might have been a big factor. What nummber wiz was that?

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I have some vague memories of Magic Candle 2 being quite difficult, and with enormous world.

Apart from combat, yeah, RPGs tend to be easy games.

Mr Happy

Scholar
I can't think of any where the gameplay was insanely difficult, but bugs always made Daggerfall a challenge, especially on my crap computer. I think it was actually impossible to complete the main quest without a patch.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Hmm, I guess Bards Tale. first I was not an experienced gamer then. And what really got me were those dungeons with vortex fields and teleporter that successfully completely disoriented me to the point where I had to give up.

Oarfish

Prophet
It's more of a strategy game, but I found Doomdark's Revenge stupidly hard as a kid. Great game though and I went back to it recently, just to check if I could beat it now that I am 30 and uber and don't have to wait 2 minutes to restore a savegame on a tape player.

Still get my ass kicked, never manage to get enough giants on my side to hold out against the iceguard and dwarves and always end up getting stomped way before the Fey and barbarians arrive.

Have a go if you think you are hard enough

Jim Kata

Arbiter
Jasede said:

That is the correct answer.

Fenris

Novice
Hm... "Die dunkle Dimension" had a Game-stopping Bug somewhere in the Dungeons of Castle Kroloc. There was a Hack around this, but I really can't remember how this was done (This was nearly 20 Years ago, was it ?). DDD was the first RPG I finished... probably because it was the only german CRPG back in the days...

Another horrible hard Game from GDG (German Design Group, the Guys who created DDD) was "Verlies" ... it randomly generated a giant Dungeon in 3D... fighting was a lot like later in Daggerfall... I just couldn't beat the Dragon on the last Level.

In every Bard's Tale Part was somewhere a Dungeon which I just couldn't beat... mostly because my mad english Skillz back then I guess ;) - I bought a Collection a few years ago, but to my shame I have to admit that I just couldn't stand the Graphics anymore.

The hardest Game I finished was certainly Chaos strikes back... it was great to battle whole Packs of Dragons, and Lord Chaos was the coolest Villain ever... while I completed Wizardry 6 quite easily (after I got the english Version... in the german Version was once again a game-stopping Bug :D ) I never was able to complete wiz 7.

Modern RPGs are far to easy because the casual Player has to be able to be the great Hero, slay the Dragons and rescue the World/Princess/Whatever.

EvilManagedCare

Liturgist
Ultima 3 on my C64 was quite hard. It was my first CRPG ever and I had no idea really where to go or what to do. The early encounters kicked my ass and made it even more difficult.

Bard's Tale 1 was hard. This was in the days before the Internet, so the only way to get maps was to buy the hint book, which I didn't. Those spinners and teleports were just a pain in the ass.

I played Bard's Tale 2 on my PC from the Ultimate RPG archives. I was able to beat it courtesy of websites giving walkthroughs. I can't imagine what it would have been like without that. Probably would have been the most tedious game ever made. Never played BT3. Honestly, the ease of getting hints through the web took a lot of fun out of BT2.

Might and Magic 1 (again on the C64) was fairly hard given the size of the world and the ability to travel most anywhere. Given that, I look back nostalgically and long for the open-endedness.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom