Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What kind of Fag are you? The definitive poll!

What Fag are you?

• Storyfag: I just want to read (listen) to the game story. Combat is just a speed bump to the next th

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Combatfag: Give me encounter design, combat mechanics and technical gameplay. Maybe a reason for doi

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Omnifag: I swing both ways sailor, just give it to me.

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Otherfag: Will respond in thread.

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters

I.C. Wiener

Educated
I enjoy RPGs for the world design (when unique and interesting, i.e. Fallout), but primarily open-ended gameplay. I think good combat is too much to ask for in an RPG.

Topher

Cipher
First and foremost I'm a combatfag but I practically need a healthy does of explorefag in all my games these days. Basically I want the game to have well done mechanics with an interesting world to explore and a game from any genre can provide that if it's well made. I'm a sucker for tacking RPG mechanics onto pretty much any other genre though.

I.C. Wiener

Educated
Excidium said:
I.C. Wiener said:
I think good combat is too much to ask for in an RPG.
why?
That's just "in my opinion", other people can expect whatever they want, but for me combat good enough to stand up on its own is rare and seems to be mutually exclusive with all the other stuff I enjoy RPGs for. The big four have adequate combat but not something I would consider a selling point for a game.

Shannow

Waster of Time
I.C. Wiener said:
Excidium said:
I.C. Wiener said:
I think good combat is too much to ask for in an RPG.
why?
That's just "in my opinion", other people can expect whatever they want, but for me combat good enough to stand up on its own is rare and seems to be mutually exclusive with all the other stuff I enjoy RPGs for. The big four have adequate combat but not something I would consider a selling point for a game.
Seriously, the way you said it sounds plain stupid. If you'd gone with "I don't mind poor combat if the rest is done well. Considering that most devs fuck combat up worse than the rest I don't expect much from them, anymore.", I'd have said: "Good for you."
But "I think good combat is too much to ask for in an RPG." sounds like a whipped dog. Beaten so often, treated so badly, malnourished, full of parasites and hasn't seen a veterinary in a decade, that it wags its tail at the slightest show of kindness. A pat on the head from the devs, you don't expect more...
I'm sure, that's not the way you meant it, but it sure as Hell sounds like it.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
villain of the story said:
sea said:
Which begs the question, is storyfag the same as characterfag? Most BioWare games have decent/good/likeable characters but terrible stories, I'd be willing to say that's their entire appeal right there.

I round the bunch of them up in my general style and elan category. But I must protest: characters, in BioWare games? LOL.
Don't want to drag things too off topic, but... I don't know. Their characters are simple, have pretty standard and predictable arcs, and usually follow archetypes, but I find a lot of them are eminently likeable, sometimes even excellent (Mordin from Mass Effect 2 I think stands out as their best character). A character doesn't have to have some sort of deep emotional problem, crazy twists, doesn't have to be involved in a conspiracy, doesn't have to be "unique"... often just being enjoyable is enough. Archetypes aren't bad by default, and not every game needs to try to deconstruct or avoid tropes to be good. Obviously I'd like to see more interesting characters, but it's pretty obvious that many, many people enjoy BioWare's games primarily for the NPCs. Hell, until we got to Dragon Age II, which seems to exist for player wish fulfillment more than anything else, they had a pretty solid track record of good:bad characters.

likaq

Arcane
Otherfag. Storyfag + C&Cfag + Statsfag + Multiplesolutionstoquestsfag + Noncombatgameplayfaq + goodsettingfag = Me
With an emphasis on C&Cfag.

pocahaunted

Arcane
I'm neither since I'm not a 4channer/faggot/retard. Having cleared that out of the way, I tend to enjoy combat the less, because it's usually a lot harder to actually pull off decently to sustain hours upon hours of gameplay. True diplomacy, when available, is what I like the most.

CorpseZeb

Learned
sea said:
Don't want to drag things too off topic, but...

... too late. (and I cant sleep).

I think, archetypes ARE bad by default. Unless you like taking to sets of clothes not a living people. Whats Moridn like when he put off his “scientist” coat? Do you know? Do you care to know? But of course, in world of Shepard where individuals melts into successful sets of compulsive interrogations, nothing matters...

Well done characters should not be part of main character super-conscious. But, Star Trek universe taking its toll, I guess.

Project: Eternity
When Mordin takes off the scientist coat he sings/translates opera and does children's science shows, which I would classify as "non-work" for him (that's from the Liara DLC where you read some dossiers on the characters). I guess that makes him 2-dimensional rather than just 1-dimensional, but it's a nice touch. I'm not sure how much more characterization you could pack in a game like ME2 really.

CorpseZeb

Learned
Freelance Henchman said:
When Mordin takes off the scientist coat he sings/translates opera and does children's science shows, which I would classify as "non-work" for him (that's from the Liara DLC where you read some dossiers on the characters). I guess that makes him 2-dimensional rather than just 1-dimensional, but it's a nice touch. I'm not sure how much more characterization you could pack in a game like ME2 really.

Oh, I didn't know.

Uhm... I thinking about shrinking Shepard ego to make more room for characters immune to his interrogation skill.

Theoretically speaking of course.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I guess I'm an Atmospherefag. As long as the world feels alive for me and has good music and soundmechanics, then I can even stomach bad combat/stories.

Shannow said:
Seriously, the way you said it sounds plain stupid. If you'd gone with "I don't mind poor combat if the rest is done well. Considering that most devs fuck combat up worse than the rest I don't expect much from them, anymore.", I'd have said: "Good for you."
But "I think good combat is too much to ask for in an RPG." sounds like a whipped dog. Beaten so often, treated so badly, malnourished, full of parasites and hasn't seen a veterinary in a decade, that it wags its tail at the slightest show of kindness. A pat on the head from the devs, you don't expect more...
I'm sure, that's not the way you meant it, but it sure as Hell sounds like it.

mbladekxw4.jpg

SkepticsClaw

Potential Fire Hazard
Otherfag.

I am something of a combatfag, can take or leave a good story (doesn't hurt), massive explorefag, massive watch-the-stats-going-up fag, significant LARPy tendencies.

Gakkone

pretty cool guy eh
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
A gameplayfag. I want gameplay that entertains, challenges and rewards me, that offers a multitude of ways to accomplish things. This applies to combat, quests, exploration and whatever forms of interaction a game decides to focus on. I do like good stories as well but gameplay is what makes or brakes it.

Cassidy

Arcane
If I were to put things in priority, particularly for CRPGs:

Exploration and interaction with gameworld > Multiple approaches to achieve an objective > Combat mechanics > C&C > Story

My "dream game" would be something with the tactical depth of Jagged Alliance 2 and the C&C and multiple solutions of Fallout 1. Barring that I'd take a game that provides better combat, exploration and skill check mechanics over one that is de facto only good regarding story.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
I voted combatfag.

I really don't give much of a rat's ass about story in video games - I'll watch a movie or read a book for that. If an RPG has a good and well implemented ruleset, good encounter and quest design and a nice (preferably TB) combat mechanic - that's (usually) good enough for me. :salute:

Edit: Of course if an RPG has all that AND a good story/writing... it'd be the greatest.... wait... who am I kidding?...

Kraszu

Prophet
Living reacting, progressing world fag. I like in SR2, the text adventures in that game were fun as well but I would like it even if there was nothing else then the "main game".

I would also like conflict between different races/federations, not some threat from outside that seem out of place. I would enjoy such even if dialogues would be almost completely replaced by numbers that indicate shit, and if there would be an auto combat. Don't get me wrong the game would be better if it would include more real life diplomacy, dialogues, quests (as long as they would not destroy the balance), lore, and good combat, but I could play such game without all of that.

Twinkle

Liturgist
I am not a fag. :smug:

But exploration and combat are equally important to me. I love good dungeon design. I hate trash mob and mandatory grinding. When a game offers multiple quest solutions it's a nice bonus, but only when finding an alternative to "kill them all" requires something more than clicking on a [Speech 100] line. Don't care much about story and writing unless the game shoves them on your throat (see Bioware).

BlackSun

Educated
Combat. Some story is ok as long as it is not excessive and tedious. Exploration is cool to but I love me some dungeon crawls.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom