Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What should I know before starting Kenshi?

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Any advice or tips? I tried getting into it once before and I felt a little overwhelmed so I didn't bother.

Deleted Member 16721

Umm, the world is huge and dangerous. Start by mining something, making enough money to slowly hire on companions. When you have a little squad going, practice and train your skills on the weakest enemies you can find, avoid the rest. Once you get a decently skilled group go off and explore the world. Once you have a tough, ass-kicking entourage start a settlement while sending off an expedition force to explore. The game world is your oyster.

Also know that you're in for a rush of amazing emergent gameplay, more EG than any game in existence basically, maybe except Dwarf Fortress. The game instantly became one of my favorite games ever, you will have war stories to share after you've played enough that you'll never forget.

Salvo

Arcane
Try not to steal too much, as the mechanics are broken and you can take end-game items five minutes into the game, which pretty much ruins your sense of progression.

Also, take things slow. You won't be taking down anything but Starving Bandits for a while.

Deleted Member 16721

Don't look up a guide and you won't know where those end-game items are 5 minutes into the game. So more advice - don't follow a guide and basically play it now, ignore what other people post in this thread so you don't spoil the experience.

barghwata

Savant
I am also thinking about starting Kenshi these days, and i just wanted to ask.
Does the game allow several playstyles (trader, warlord, smuggler, slaver, thief etc...) or do you have to play a certain way just to be able to survive?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Does the game allow several playstyles (trader, warlord, smuggler, slaver, thief etc...) or do you have to play a certain way just to be able to survive?
Kenshi offers a variety of additional starting options, so that if you wanted to you could begin the game in a good (or at least, better) position to immediately become a merchant, or start your own base, etc. Even with the base start, the game is quite versatile, and there are many possible playing-styles from the beginning onward. +M

adrix89

Arbiter
Why are there so many of my country here?
Kenshi offers a variety of additional starting options, so that if you wanted to you could begin the game in a good (or at least, better) position to immediately become a merchant, or start your own base, etc. Even with the base start, the game is quite versatile, and there are many possible playing-styles from the beginning onward. +M
Merchant is useless since you will get mugged or eaten.
You need to up your skill in running away to do trading by yourself.
You need good trained comrades if you are going to use slow animals.

Some people (like yours truly) are genetically incapable of making their own fun in videogames, and if you suffer from this incurable condition, you won't like Kenshi.

steel legion

Novice
that it is a interactive entertainment kinda like a movie that you can interact. Were you can control a character and interact with its environment. It was invented i think around the 60's with pong and video games got more popular over time with like arcades that is a shop of some sort were people could play video games on massive machines they also had to pay to use the arcade machines. They kinda faded with time when people could play video games at home with for example consoles which are dedicated computers to only play video games and maybe watch movies and off course pc's. Oh and i cant forget about mobile gaming which in recent years gotten really popular. But right now video games are the most profitable form of media in the world.

pidstuff

Educated
The characters you make are not essential, so you can keep playing the game as long as you have a character you control. The best way to learn the mechanics of the game is to play using The Slaves game start. Here you won't have to worry about food, or injuring yourself for a while because the Holy Nation will feed and give you first aid up until you manage to escape. The game is heavily reliant on you to make your own goals and fun, so you'll just have to come up with your own reasons to explore the map. After some days of playing you'll get an idea of what mods to get to expand on your experience.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom