Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's an RPG praised by the Codex that you're reluctant to try?

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Battle Brothers just doesn't seem to have the legs to stand on its own.

giphy.gif

Give reasons

Your Mom.

Way too grindy and tons of bloat.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
The only RPGs I have finished are Skyrim and Divinity OS2

Everything recommended to me by the codex is shit or is fun for a few hours then rapidly descends into shittiness. I never play them for long

Great thread idea btw

gaussgunner

Arcane
I'm reluctant to try any RPG, especially one praised by Codex staff or users. If it happens to be good that's just luck. The Codex tells you precisely 2 things about an RPG: that it exists, and the nature of the fanboys. As for quality you're on your own.

Geckabor

Savant
This will sound like (it probably is) blasphemy, but Planescape: Torment. All I hear is that there's ONE certain way to play the game (putting all points into wisdom, intelligence and charisma...also playing a mage) and you NEED to do that to be able to fully appreciate the game. For some reason that just created this currently unsurpassable mental block in my head.

pomenitul

Arbiter
Most of them. Then I overcome my reluctance out of spite and stretch myself on the rack like the degenerate masochist that I am and that you are too, hypocrite joueur, mon semblable, mon frère.

gaussgunner

Arcane
This will sound like (it probably is) blasphemy, but Planescape: Torment. All I hear is that there's ONE certain way to play the game (putting all points into wisdom, intelligence and charisma...also playing a mage) and you NEED to do that to be able to fully appreciate the game. For some reason that just created this currently unsurpassable mental block in my head.
That's one I'm REALLY reluctant to try. It has some nice aesthetics but the writing looks like a bunch of mindbending metaphysical babble that might have impressed me when I was 15. I could be wrong but that's the overwhelming impression I get from looking at anything about that game including LPs.

DoomIhlVaria

Cipher
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here I'm very into cock and ball torture
That's one I'm REALLY reluctant to try. It has some nice aesthetics but the writing looks like a bunch of mindbending metaphysical babble that might have impressed me when I was 15. I could be wrong but that's the overwhelming impression I get from looking at anything about that game including LPs.
It's heavy on the metaphysics but it's D&D/Planescape metaphysics. You end up with a certain degree of philosophical concreteness when you can get into real fights with literal gods and demons. It's speculative fiction at its finest.

mfkndggrfll

Learned
Shitposter Bethestard

Don't waste your time on that one, it's garbage. Same trash as Pillars of Eternity.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Gothic series.

Unlike old turn based game, the 3 Ghotics are all clunky to play, being old action RPGs. Tried Gothic for < 10 hours and very unlikely I will try Gothic 2 or Gothic 3.

Should be AoD because the game was anti-fun. 1 playthrough is only so much I can stomach before uninstalling.

Void_Pickle

Educated
Anything really long. I still haven't delved into the Wizardry series for that reason, although I have been close to starting up Wiz 6 several times recently.

GloomFrost

Arcane
Betrayal at Krondor. Its difficult to explain why i dont want to play it. (its not graphics though Dark Sun is one of my favorite games).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom