Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's an RPG praised by the Codex that you're reluctant to try?

frajaq

Erudite
Almost all of them honestly, take a look at the top 70 Codex RPGs and name one (1) good RPG on that list, I dare you

Puteo

Learned
Baldur's Gate 2 and Pillows 2; I tried their predecessors and I just don't think I've acquired the sort of cranial blunt force trauma that would enable me to appreciate a gameplay mechanic like RTwP

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
Baldur's Gate 2 and Pillows 2; I tried their predecessors and I just don't think I've acquired the sort of cranial blunt force trauma that would enable me to appreciate a gameplay mechanic like RTwP

Pillars of Eternity 2 has turn-based mode now

Incendax

Augur
Betrayal at Krondor. Its difficult to explain why i dont want to play it. (its not graphics though Dark Sun is one of my favorite games).
What the fuck is this heresy? Betrayal at a Krondor is one of the kindest games around. It took your mother out to lunch and expected nothing in return, volunteers hours at the soup kitchen, and helps old ladies find plastic bottles to recycle.

Trashos

Arcane
Bloodlines. I never understood the fascination about vampires. I fail to draw any parallels between them and real life. I still want to try it because it is Troika, but I never get round to it.

Yosharian

Arcane
I'm trying Deadfire for the umpteenth time and I'm actually enjoying it this time. Now that I've:
  • turned off the music
  • hacked the narrator out of existence
  • used mods to customize the companions to classes/subclasses that I want
  • made a 5-man custom party (using said companions)
  • got rid of all the annoying as fuck companions (e.g. Pallegina, Xoti)
  • playing on turn-based mode

AdolfSatan

Arcane
I feel ya, man. Used to hate chess. It wasn't until I reduced the board to 3x3, took away all pieces but the pawns, and began using them to play tic-tac-toe, that it finally clicked for me.

aeroaeko

Learned
Arcanum. The game is just too clunky and it takes so long to load even though I have a good pc i genuinely dont understand.

Starwars

Arcane
Underrail
Pathfinder: Kingmaker

I have no fucking idea why. Underrail is even sitting in my STEAM library. I kinda like imagining it's gathering dust, and one day I'll pick the virtual box out of the virtual shelf and install it and go "omg, how have I been missing out on this this whole time?!". But today is not that day.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Eh.. well, I'll just throw this out. I own Witcher 3 and Wasteland 2. I never player either, even though I played the shit out of Wasteland and Witcher 1.

I will say that the Codex was pretty torn on Wizardry 8 but it was pretty satisfying to complete that game. Same for Elex. Same for Dragon Age: Origins (but that is shit, and a bad example.)

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
A lot of Top 50 games fall into that category for me, it's not that i'm reluctant, i'm never going to play many of them like :
- Deus Ex
- Dark Souls
- Gothic 2
- The Witcher 1 & 2
- System Shock 2
- Alpha Protocol
- Morrowind
- FNV

Holy shizny. If I were to do a "top 20 RPGs" list they'd likely all be in there.

Some serious quality gaming there which you're missing out on chap.

He is right though. Those are exactly the kind of games I don't care about - would add the Vampire games as well. And Betrayal at Krondor. Tried most of them but it didn't click.

Probably because of the real-time combat in most of those.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
This will sound like (it probably is) blasphemy, but Planescape: Torment. All I hear is that there's ONE certain way to play the game (putting all points into wisdom, intelligence and charisma...also playing a mage) and you NEED to do that to be able to fully appreciate the game. For some reason that just created this currently unsurpassable mental block in my head.

Yep. There's zero reason to raise other attributes because the combat is so easy.

That's one I'm REALLY reluctant to try. It has some nice aesthetics but the writing looks like a bunch of mindbending metaphysical babble that might have impressed me when I was 15. I could be wrong but that's the overwhelming impression I get from looking at anything about that game including LPs.

I've finished it twice, and you're not wrong. It's the embodiment of "I am 15 and this deep."

Last edited:

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
I always try to give a game a chance, no matter how much my gut tells me I won't like it, my gut feeling ends up being right basically everytime though.
I was reluctant to try the BG games because I loathe RTwP combat. Eventually ended up starting a BG playthrough, but quickly dropped it again due to the uninteresting world, unlikeable companions (SHUT THE FUCK UP IMOEN), and surprise surprise, terrible combat.
Actually, come to think of it, I have never bothered giving BG2 a spin despite people telling me I would like it more, simply because I hated what I played of the first game so much. So I guess that game is relevant to the thread's topic.

Taurist

Scholar
Wizardry 6.

It looks and sounds like complete ass. Why couldn't the japenese have done a proper port of it? Need to get the guys who did the bards tale remasters on that stat.

Monkey Baron

Arbiter
Patron
I helped put crap in Monomyth
Pathfinder: Kingmaker. So much content, I don't think I'll have the time for it for a while... I only made my character when it came out, and then set it aside due to everyone talking about bugs.

The Witcher 3. Also a lot of content but I wasn't a fan of where the series started turning. Don't get me wrong, TW2 is a good game but I really hated how they dumbed down the systems and mechanics I liked. I believe TW3 will be a further step in that direction. A lot of my friends have only played 3, and none of them have used the alchemy system apart from trying it out in the beginning.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
Underrail
Pathfinder: Kingmaker

I have no fucking idea why. Underrail is even sitting in my STEAM library. I kinda like imagining it's gathering dust, and one day I'll pick the virtual box out of the virtual shelf and install it and go "omg, how have I been missing out on this this whole time?!". But today is not that day.

this is me too

Ive had underrail in my library since 2015 and I've played only 2 hours of it. I just can't get into it. I keep reading good things about it but every time i launch it up and get into the introduction areas i just feel like im playing some gamemaker tribute to fallout.

Funposter

Arcane
Basically any classic that I haven't already played, for fear it won't live up to expectations.

For recent stuff: Underrail. I look at it, and something in my brain just doesn't click. Most stuff I end up buying on sale, and have it sitting in my backlog until I really feel the urge to play it, but I have zero compulsion to learn anything about or purchase Underrail.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Twitcher 3. I'm too old for this shit. I installed it 4 or 5 times, played the tutorial and then was let loose on the game world... could stand it for 10 minutes max.
Here, learn to play this fancy card game! Collect flowers and crafting shit! Help this noname npc ban a ghost or whatever! Romance this female character! Spend hundreds of hours in this amazing fun park...
Really, I can't stand this shit anymore. I totally believe you guys that I'm missing out on a fantastic game with good narrative. But as I grow older, I value my time too much than to sink countless hours in a pc game. I'd rather go for a concise experience that is over and fully explored after 15-20 hours.

Same reason I probably won't ever bother trying Grimoire again. Even with people claiming it's kinda sorta finished now, an advertised 600 hours gameplay is the exact opposite of what I'm looking for in games nowadays.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
It's a real port, the only thing you miss out is the key conversations, the rest is pretty much 1-to-1

I played both games from beginning to end, Wiz6 in Dos a couple of times, the SNES port 2 times

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Same reason I probably won't ever bother trying Grimoire again. Even with people claiming it's kinda sorta finished now, an advertised 600 hours gameplay is the exact opposite of what I'm looking for in games nowadays.

Grimoire is closer to max 100-200 hours, but it can be done much faster.

Also, I don't get your logic. So you play a short and shitty game and finish it - is that better than spending more time on a longer awesome game?

Falksi

Arcane
A lot of Top 50 games fall into that category for me, it's not that i'm reluctant, i'm never going to play many of them like :
- Deus Ex
- Dark Souls
- Gothic 2
- The Witcher 1 & 2
- System Shock 2
- Alpha Protocol
- Morrowind
- FNV

Holy shizny. If I were to do a "top 20 RPGs" list they'd likely all be in there.

Some serious quality gaming there which you're missing out on chap.

He is right though. Those are exactly the kind of games I don't care about - would add the Vampire games as well. And Betrayal at Krondor. Tried most of them but it didn't click.

Probably because of the real-time combat in most of those.

That's fair enough, it's just a shame. Sooooooooooo much goodness in those games though.

See combat-wise the 3 which I think stand out as wank are Gothic 2, Alpha Protocol & Morrowind. But the rest have some decent, if not good combat. And what those 3 games taught me is that you can still have a cracking game, even with sub-par combat.

It is all about taste though, so fair fucks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom