Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's the best combat encounter in a game ever?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Returning from killing 4x99 Berserkers your party in The Bard's Tale returns to the Review Board, kicks in the wrong door and
you meet death itself in the form of
1 Hobbit

Or your mom.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Some I liked :
- The last battle from Dark Sun : Shattered Lands really takes you by surprise, considering the game is not hard up to there.
- The bunch of gnolls waiting for you out of a dungeon in KoTC are cool to fight too. They may be hard depending on what you already did before.
- I liked the ending battle of Death Knights of Krynn with all these golems. Fighting Kalista and her spiders, and some big battles against rakshasas in Pools of Darkness are fun too, you like to have some blessed bolts there. Fighting dragons, spiders, mages or vampires or other level draining monsters in these games never really get old either. The first encounter against 2 (or is it more?) rocket launcher robots in Buck Rogers is something too.
- I liked fighting vampires in Natuk, they're not really impressed by anything you can propose. The ending battle is nice too.
- The end boss battle of base Labyrinth of touhou 1, not the expansion, is fun. I don't know if you can beat it without grinding at all, some expansion bosses I'm certain you can't. Boss battles in Labyrinth of touhou 2 are generally fun btw, worth mentioning.
- I liked fighting the octopus plant monster in Blackguards although there's a good chance it's not that hard when you face it. However the two dwarfs are hard if you go there as soon as possible.
- The mage duel in Heroine's quest is very fun.
- the fight against the dragon in Dungeon Master is memorable although gameplay wise it's nothing particular (the last boss is to some extend). The last battle of Eye of beholder 2 has its charm too.
- I think it was the last battle of Icewind Dale 2 which was also much harder than anything you would have fought before, I think I used about all my spells and such.
- There's this ancien dragon or something in Might & Magic 2? I don't think I managed to beat it, or maybe it's something else in the same cave, I'm sure I didn't reach the end of the cave.
- the dragon in Legend of Faerghail I have not beaten yet either.

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
Tome4 - final fight. Big room with 4 pillars in center, 4 monster spawns in every corner and 2 high level sorcerers as archenemies.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
I remember that swordcombat in Dark Messiah against some Orc-Chief. That was one of the most immersive and challenging swordcombats in any game.

(until I found out that you can easily kill him, by grabbing a stone and throw it at him again and again... that was just retarded)

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
Personally I'd probably go for one that relied on my skills as a player instead of my character's skills/stats/inventory/DPS/etc, or even worse, QTEs. It's so much more satisfying that way. Maybe something from Dark Souls, or Holllow Knight, or whatever. And no fucking gimmicks, either. If you're willing to totally leave the realm of anything remotely RPGish, you could even throw in shit like Portal (2). Any fight you can enjoy even when you know how to beat them and that you can beat them is a good one, whether because it's funny or challenging or just plain fun.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
One of my many fond memories of Jagged Alliance 2 combat:

Bullet fired from outside misses its mark and gets lodged in a fuel barrel inside a warehouse. All hell breaks loose as the barrel detonates and sets off a chain reaction that incinerates the enemies inside and blows a hole in the wall. Those who weren't instantly killed danced around as flaming human torches before settling as piles of ash on the floor.

explosions.jpg

As the debris settles and silence falls, one of the grizzled mercs makes a casual remark that hits the nail right on the head: "Boom. Forgotten."

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
One of my many fond memories of Jagged Alliance 2 combat:
This. The encounter that first came to mind when I saw this thread was also a sector in Jagged Alliance 2. The thing is, that sector probably doesn't mean anything special to other players. To a much larger degree than most other RPGs, the memorability of any encounter in JA2 is a product of a particular combination of variables -- personnel, equipment, enemy positioning, RNG, and last but not least, personal tactics -- which means that each player will come away with their own highlights of the campaign. This is what makes it such a brilliant game.

...though the warehouse is a particularly fun map.

PorkBarrellGuy

A random encounter outside of New Reno in Fallout 2 with gangsters and Yakuza with a Jinxed high-luck lower-level player.

I didn't have to get involved, mind you. But I'm glad I did.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Fighting the Trolls and Ogres in the Old Rope Guild in Pool of Radiance, especially when you didn't expect them to be there and especially when your party is only 1st level and you still manage to come out victorious.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Fighting the Trolls and Ogres in the Old Rope Guild in Pool of Radiance, especially when you didn't expect them to be there and especially when your party is only 1st level and you still manage to come out victorious.

And the glorious butthurt when the Trolls rise again with full HP.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Lavos, in Chrono Cross is hard and you have to make an specific sequences of color moves. Its more memorable than hard.

Any boss in Battletoads (NES), Ninja Gaiden or Batman, can be a good choice :)

rohand

Cipher
It's not an RPG but I always remember Arkham City when "oh what is this penguin up to now"
and then shit happens and a name appears
"Solomon Grundy"

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
I'll never not remember Gregor in Wiz8. Maybe because the Monastery was so fucking well designed. Or maybe because all of the time you spend there you're wondering if you're ready to tackle that roach yet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom