Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's the best combat encounter in a game ever?

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Lilura's crusade is no longer for the Renaissance, but to combat the Golden Age nostalgia.

Crusade? I don't think so. If I wanted to launch a crusade, I'd start making alts and spam the living fuck out of a buzzfeed like reddit.

Combative? No, I just judged someone's post as nothing more than nostalgic.

But if you want to take me on, please do. (It's better than pretending that I have an insidious agenda or am the only one on the 'Dex with an agenda, as you've been trying to do lately.)

iow, pick a Golden Age RPG and write about its great combat. Go into a bit of detail if it's possible. Demonstrate the greatness of Golden Age combat. Show us that "Golden Age" fans deserve to be regarded as hardcore, monocled and grognard, and that "nostalgia-goggled ponce" does not apply.

And then I'll throw Jagged Alliance 2 back in your face and we can call it a day.
I was wrong. JA2 is indeed the best tactical RPG experience humanity has ever, or will ever see, unless the whole video game industry implode and we get to restart the late 90s situation in regards to video game development again.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Lilura's crusade is no longer for the Renaissance, but to combat the Golden Age nostalgia.

Crusade? I don't think so. If I wanted to launch a crusade, I'd start making alts and spam the living fuck out of a buzzfeed like reddit.

Combative? No, I just judged someone's post as nothing more than nostalgic.

But if you want to take me on, please do. (It's better than pretending that I have an insidious agenda or am the only one on the 'Dex with an agenda, as you've been trying to do lately.)

iow, pick a Golden Age RPG and write about its great combat. Go into a bit of detail if it's possible. Demonstrate the greatness of Golden Age combat. Show us that "Golden Age" fans deserve to be regarded as hardcore, monocled and grognard, and that "nostalgia-goggled ponce" does not apply.

And then I'll throw Jagged Alliance 2 back in your face and we can call it a day.
I was wrong. JA2 is indeed the best tactical RPG experience humanity has ever, or will ever see, unless the whole video game industry implode and we get to restart the late 90s situation in regards to video game development again.

DUDE

stray bullets making barrels go boom. Doesn't get more RPG than that.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
Lilura is my alt account. If you want proof just notice the number of times the account hits on Infinitron.

Falksi

Arcane
I thought Dragon Age:Origins had some superbly crafted combat encounters all the way through on Nightmare.

Most battles forced you into thinking on your feet, and a lot of them were set up quite tactically (remember deep road battles where various positionings made a big difference)

Arthandas

Liturgist
Dark Fact from Ys Chronicles+ on Nightmare difficulty.

eWr3mz.gif

sullynathan

Arcane
I thought Dragon Age:Origins had some superbly crafted combat encounters all the way through on Nightmare.

Most battles forced you into thinking on your feet, and a lot of them were set up quite tactically (remember deep road battles where various positionings made a big difference)
not really.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I'll never not remember Gregor in Wiz8. Maybe because the Monastery was so fucking well designed. Or maybe because all of the time you spend there you're wondering if you're ready to tackle that roach yet.

First time i played Wizardry 8, it was the demo version and the "boss" encounter up there was a swallower, never had it in the regular game, as far as i remember.

From the ground level, when you walked by, the swallower running upstairs was making the whole screen tremble.

I always loved the monastery atmosphere and this added so much to it.

The fight was also a real pain at low level, the swallower swallowing your party members, of course, so much harder than the giant roach or even the king crab.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Fighting the Trolls and Ogres in the Old Rope Guild in Pool of Radiance, especially when you didn't expect them to be there and especially when your party is only 1st level and you still manage to come out victorious.

Nice nostalgia post, complete with pink highlighting for the fag-factor.

Because in basically every RPG out there, from pre-PoR to the current gen, from god-tier to shit-tier, there is stuff that you didn't expect to be there, that you can run into at first level, and from which you can emerge victorious.

See, this is why you have to kill the trolls with fire or they keep coming back. That combat was more important than I thought.

Perkel

Arcane
Tactics Ogre: Let us cling together on PSP
Basically every 2-3 fight was something great and developers tended to throw curve balls. It was completely normal for game to give you normal objective and sub objective like rescuing someone before they get smashed.

Baldurs Gate 2: a lot of battles. You take firaag dungeon you start from being in a trap, you go sewers bam eyeballs decimating your party. Go to somehwere else ? giant mushrooms confusing your whole party. Never i have played game that changed things so often. You couldn't predict what next battle would look like. And i think this is one of key reasons why BG2 was so good. It never felt like they just put 5 wolves randomly like in PoE.

Speaking of PoE. First time you fight Adra golems in docks. It was one of those BG2 type curveballs that caught you off guard, to bad game didn't feature stuff like this as standard combat design. Roderick fight also was pretty good

JA2: the whole fucking game. JA2 combat is so strong because even if you have best of the best you still feel that you acomplish something by your tactics rather than someone just upgraded and he is op. Your Lynx sniper isn't good because he has really fucking good acc but because you know that he should shoot from shadows at long range so enemy can't fire back. Meanwhile when everyone is distracted your second stealthy guy goes to fortifications/buildings, sets explosives. This is where your other team joins in focus attention on them which causes enemy to change position and move toward explosives, boom. After explosion you team waltz in clears out base while shadow mows down from flank. At no point you win just by having better guys. Because if you just waltz in there will be chance that some dude will randomly run over your best guy with his series and that is that.

Dark Souls 3: Sister Friede. Basically fuck you to everything you learned while playing Dark Souls 1-3. Sheld ? well most of her attacks go through shield, dodge ? Almost all of her attacks bait you into wrong dodge and have really sneaky combos which further traps you into wrong dodge. Best boss in whole Dark Souls saga and all souls games by far. Only way to win is to ascend.

X-com with long war mod: similar to ja2 you never feel like you won because you got better gear but your tactics were polished and you knew what you were doing.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Moridor's Box Demon from Torment was a nice callback to an early encounter and quest as well as a nice test for my melee Nameless.

13th level Warrior TNO has 3.5 ApR, 25 Strength, 25 Constitution and Grandmastery. Drops like a sack of shit.

lul @ playing PS:T without spreading points out into WIS and CHA, at least.

Don't need CHA at all, Friends spell does just as good. Don't really need that much WIS either, you get massive amounts of free points.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Moridor's Box Demon from Torment was a nice callback to an early encounter and quest as well as a nice test for my melee Nameless.

13th level Warrior TNO has 3.5 ApR, 25 Strength, 25 Constitution and Grandmastery. Drops like a sack of shit.

lul @ playing PS:T without spreading points out into WIS and CHA, at least.

Don't need CHA at all, Friends spell does just as good. Don't really need that much WIS either, you get massive amounts of free points.

doesn't dialogue check your unmodified value?

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
wait

aren't you the tactical combat fag who cannot into story :lol:

I can into story. I'm no doubt more well-read and a better writer than you are. I just value combat more. And no one, except maybe Avellone himself, has been honest enough to cover/criticize PS:T combat in detail before, because they're useless storyfags that don't even begin to understand it, so I thought I'd undertake to do so. I hope that's ok with you, scrubbo.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
I can into story. I'm no doubt more well-read and a better writer than you are.

is drivel better than no writing at all?

:philosoraptor:

serious question. Kind of.

You know you've met an anti-intellectual when they pride themselves on having absorbed information instead of building knowledge though.

I just value combat more. And no one, except maybe Avellone himself, has been honest enough to cover/criticize PS:T combat in detail before, because they're useless storyfags that don't even begin to understand it, so I thought I'd undertake to do so. I hope that's ok with you, scrubbo.

You "understand" PS:T combat? :lol:

You remind me of that guy who thought PS:T was such a great experience because it failed so bad at being a game that it became a surreal, dream-like experience. As if by design.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Dark Souls 3: Sister Friede. Basically fuck you to everything you learned while playing Dark Souls 1-3. Sheld ? well most of her attacks go through shield, dodge ? Almost all of her attacks bait you into wrong dodge and have really sneaky combos which further traps you into wrong dodge. Best boss in whole Dark Souls saga and all souls games by far. Only way to win is to ascend.

Agreed. Most fun I've had in a game for a long time. Genuinely well designed as well as having great music and visual design.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
The Jabberwocky from Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar

1eUrQEV.png

'Twas brillig and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe.
All mimsy were the borogoves
And the mome raths outgrabe.

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jub-Jub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!"

He took his vorpal sword in hand,
longtime the manxome foe he sought,
So rested he by the Tum-Tum tree,
And stood awhile in thought.

And as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgy wood
And burbled as it came.

One, two! One, two! And Through and through!
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back!

And hast thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
"Oh frabjous day! Calloo! Callay!",
He chortled in his joy.

'Twas brillig and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe.
All mimsy were the borogoves
And the mome raths outgrabe.

Last edited:

typical user

Arbiter

Meh, just backstab. Girls love taking it from backstage.

Quillon

Arcane
Wrex' surprise confrontation in Citadel in ME3(if you've kept him alive in prev. games and didn't cure and lied about the genophage). I couldn't stop laughing until he was dead and then some more.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom