Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Myst What's the best version of Myst?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
My little brother is finally starting to tire of repetitive shooters and asked me specifically for games with no combat and heavy on atmosphere. So I thought might as well go with the grandaddy, Myst. Now there are realMysts and Myst: Masterpieces and realMyst: Masterpieces, and I don't know which one I should get him.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
My little brother is finally starting to tire of repetitive shooters and asked me specifically for games with no combat and heavy on atmosphere. So I thought might as well go with the grandaddy, Myst. Now there are realMysts and Myst: Masterpieces and realMyst: Masterpieces, and I don't know which one I should get him.
There's also the original :troll:

Puzzle-wise all 4 are identical (except that the reals add one more optional age at the end, but it literally comes in after you "finish" the game proper). The original release was plagued with technical problems and is unlikely to run nowadays anyway. I was personally spoiled by realMyst when it came out, to the point that I still liked it more than Masterpiece when that came out. I haven't seen what real Masterpiece is like, but if it's to real what Masterpiece was to the original then it's probably the best version.

Telengard

Arcane
'Pends on how much importance 3d interactivity is to him. That's all that realMyst really adds. And since the puzzles were designed without it, it can actually be a hindrance to them, if a slight one. Never looked at the Unity update version (realMyst Masterpiece), but it would probably be the most modern-computer-ready out of the box.

The Myst Trilogy has Myst Masterpiece, and it includes updates for working well with XP.

buzz

Arcane
Yep, go for Real Myst, if your brother comes from an FPS background it's going to make the transition for him a bit smoother. The Masterpiece Edition of Real Myst also can be played as classic point&click game, and it also has a hint guide. But it's 10 bucks more expensive and I've heard some people had stability issues with it.
edit: I also remember that realMyst ME was very bloomy which I didn't really like. But if your bro is a graphicsfag it will just fine :P

Last edited:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The free movement in realMyst is pretty pointless from what I remember. If the Masterpiece Edition doesn't have it (too lazy to look it up), then I'd say go for it instead.

Also, other atmospheric Myst clones include, off the top of my head, ASA - A Space Adventure, Ether One, Outcry/Sublustrum and Dark Fall: The Journal. They are more recent, too, in case your brother finds Myst too archaic.

buzz

Arcane
The thing with the ME of the normal, point and click Myst is that it still needs Quicktime, and you need to fumble with them for a bit in order to work, can't just download and install the latest version. I had lots of trouble making the thing actually work.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The thing with the ME of the normal, point and click Myst is that it still needs Quicktime, and you need to fumble with them for a bit in order to work, can't just download and install the latest version. I had lots of trouble making the thing actually work.
They're selling it on gog and steam, so I would think they would package anything it needs to run.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Have not tried RealMyst, but one thing you might want to look into is whether the Rocket Tone puzzle is fixed in it. I was able to beat it as a kid, but it's basically impossible to get the tone right for it now, not sure if I'm just getting worse or whether it's being effected by newer computers.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Note there's RealMyst and ReallyRealMyst now. Haven't tried the recent release. The original RealMyst was pretty meh though.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Well, I'm not a big fan of Myst and Myst clones in general, but I'll second that the original was better (at least from what I recall) in terms of atmosphere than realmyst, which I tried recently and it was as bland as wall paint.

I'm pretty sure you can give your brother much better suggestions though. A Lucasarts collection would be the best start IMO. A Lucasarts bundle that contained DoTT, Indy4 and Sam&Max basically introduced me to adventures, and it was a damn awesome introduction.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
So basically:

realMyst = fully walkable 3D (it also includes a small age that was not in the original, if I am remembering correctly)

Myst: Masterpiece = 2D point and click, basically just like all the other Myst games.

tuluse

Arcane
Well, I'm not a big fan of Myst and Myst clones in general, but I'll second that the original was better (at least from what I recall) in terms of atmosphere than realmyst, which I tried recently and it was as bland as wall paint.

I'm pretty sure you can give your brother much better suggestions though. A Lucasarts collection would be the best start IMO. A Lucasarts bundle that contained DoTT, Indy4 and Sam&Max basically introduced me to adventures, and it was a damn awesome introduction.
I'm about as big a LucasArts fan as there is, and I when he was younger, we actually played through Loom together.

However, those games are not really atmospheric in the way he was asking for.

To everyone else: Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to go with Masterpiece Edition, and if the technical troubles prove insurmountable, realMyst: Masterpiece.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
I'll add my 2 cents in.

If your brother is used to FPS games, you can try Ether One as it controls just like one and it has no combat and tons of atmosphere. If you want the latest version of Myst, give realMyst: Masterpiece Edition a try.

buzz

If a GOG version of a game is giving you trouble, please don't hesitate to write to us so we can help you out :)

tuluse

Arcane
http://store.steampowered.com/app/244430/

This one is the latest realMyst and it's way more beautiful than the first rM. I haven't played it yet but a couple of friends gave it a go and told me it's really good. Depending on how old your brother is and his tolerance to the slow paced nature of Myst, especially the "screensaver" screen-by-screen gameplay of the original, I'd say give this one to him. If he doesn't mind the original style, show him Masterpiece Edition.
Literally minutes too late. I think Masterpiece should be fine though.

I am also brofisting your first post for being an excellent brother and introducing him to Myst

Also, if he's into shooters and want something different now, show him Thief too.
I actually have brought up Thief. He specifically wanted something with no enemies though.

I have tried to steer him towards good taste in video games, but it's difficult. A lot of the fun of a hobby is discovery and finding things on your own, not just having your older brother tell you what to play. With that in mind tried to give him space to do that and come up with his own opinions. It's tricky line to walk.

DakaSha

Arcane

"Hey I want to play street fighter!."
"No what you really want to try is Doom"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom