Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Myst What's the best version of Myst?

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've only ever played the 2D versions of Myst before. I own the original and Masterpiece edition of Myst.

I recently installed an updated version of realMyst called realMyst: Masterpiece Edition which was released a couple of months ago and it seems like a legit representation of Myst so far. I mean it's in 3D but it still feels like the same atmosphere and it runs well on high resolution monitors.. unlike my older versions of Myst.

They are supposedly making a realRiven now also.

A question though; is there anything "bad" about the 3D version of Myst other than "omgz it's not 2D anymore?"

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
A realRiven would be fucking SWEET! Just for that rail ride alone. That was one of my favorite parts. :oops:

KazikluBey

Cipher
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I've only ever played the 2D versions of Myst before. I own the original and Masterpiece edition of Myst.

I recently installed an updated version of realMyst called realMyst: Masterpiece Edition which was released a couple of months ago and it seems like a legit representation of Myst so far. I mean it's in 3D but it still feels like the same atmosphere and it runs well on high resolution monitors.. unlike my older versions of Myst.

They are supposedly making a realRiven now also.

A question though; is there anything "bad" about the 3D version of Myst other than "omgz it's not 2D anymore?"
No drawbacks as I recall. Just a new Age at the end of the game.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I liked Riven the best. My grandmother always sent me the latest Myst upon release for my birthday that year (I tended to get Myst and Quest for Glory for birthdays, Wing Commander and Space Quest for Christmas... holy balls, I had amazing childhood, come to think of it), and Riven was amazingly atmospheric. Even the packaging and CD slipcovers were fantastic.

3e3a11f9de.png

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Other than graphics and movement (and the last optional age but... well, optional) it's exactly the same game.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Hah, I still have Pyst. Haven't been able to run it for over a decade though, it doesn't play well with the NT systems. All the way back, I was playing Riven with a friend (we were constantly swapping the CDs :lol: ) and whenever we'd both get hopelessly stuck we'd take a break with Pyst. Good times.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Finally got around to finishing real Myst.. it was well done and I'd recommend it to people. I'd say it's worth the $6 price tag.

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
The best Myst is the one that smokes out of your pc case and reminds you that myst is always a warning of danger, or a disguising as turds.

Fuck Myst and dont do that to a poor child. Give them Zork instead if ye must be a cruel taskmaster.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron

v1rus

Arcane
Well, which version of Myst should i try out?

I gave it a try some years ago, definitely didnt work out, think i tried the basic version. After some lite research, realMyst: Masterpiece edition sounds like the right choice, but eh, better safe than sorry.

Besides all that, is Myst really any good? To me it seemed bland, story-less and needlessly complicated. I was kinda young back then tho.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Well, which version of Myst should i try out?

I gave it a try some years ago, definitely didnt work out, think i tried the basic version. After some lite research, realMyst: Masterpiece edition sounds like the right choice, but eh, better safe than sorry.

realMyst Masterpiece Edition http://store.steampowered.com/app/244430/

Besides all that, is Myst really any good? To me it seemed bland, story-less and needlessly complicated. I was kinda young back then tho.

It depends on what you are looking for. If you like well designed logical puzzles and and interesting world, then you will like it.

If you are just looking for storyfaggotry go somewhere else.

v1rus

Arcane
If you are just looking for storyfaggotry go somewhere else.

Storyfaggotry mostly :( . Still, I did find Dark Souls enjoyable, despite its abstract and thin plot, so, who knows.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I was actually not that impressed with realMyst Masterpiece Edition. I miss the old quick travel :(

(it's probably still the best way to play though, just more concessions to free movement than I like)

Severian Silk

I bought the turn-based Masterpiece Edition from GOG and it crashed in like 5 mins. Haven't tried playing it since.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
http://collider.com/myst-movie-tv-show-details/

Strange
Village Roadshow Entertainment Group (VREG) announced just today that it has acquired the film and TV rights to best-selling video game Myst. As the press release goes, “the company will rely on and expand upon the game’s existing mythology to develop a multi-platform universe including film, scripted and unscripted television content.”

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom