Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

When Arcanum is done. What's next ?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Molina, Jul 4, 2018.

1. newtmonkey Arcane

newtmonkey
    Molina
    The only thing comparable is Fallout (and it is a million times better than Arcanum, which is not a slight against Arcanum, but praise for how amazing Fallout is).

Warning: The interface for Fallout has not aged well. Set aside a lazy weekend and put plenty of time into getting used to it. It will be worth it, I 100% guarantee it. It is simply amazing. It feels like it has thought of everything, you'll come up with some insane plan to get through something, and it will just work.

I bought Fallout when it was first released, never got into it, bought it again on budget release, never got into it, and then got it on GOG when they were giving it away for free (? I think) before Interplay lost the license. At one point I had a weekend where I had nothing to do, so I decided to just force myself to play it until I got it, and when I got it, it was truly glorious. It's a short game, even if you don't know what you're doing, but I played it obsessively all weekend, and then finished it the following weekend. Probably in my top 5 games of all time.

[EDIT] There are some great games on the list that Gregz posted, but very few (if any) are like Arcanum and Fallout. The only other games that really react to your character build are nearly pure combat/exploration games (Wizardry, etc.) or the Quest for Glory games. However, the Quest for Glory games are nothing at all like Arcanum/Fallout in terms of how they actually play and their interface, so I would suggest Fallout first. If you want more of that, but want to explore other kinds of games, I would suggest Quest for Glory (the class you pick will almost completely change the way you solve quests).

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    • Disagree x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • meh x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Molina Learned

Molina
    Thank you all for your reply. I'll give a shot for Fallout (1 & 2 I guess ! )

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Deus Vult Deus Vult x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. laclongquan Arcane

laclongquan
    This call for Neverwinter Nights 2. Try the original campaign.

I would have recommended Icewind Dale 1 and 2. But that is too tactical game instead of RPG so that might not be to your taste.

^ Top  
  4. Lord_Potato Erudite

Lord_Potato
    When you complete Fallout 1&2, do not despair! There are still quality fan made campaigns for F2: Fallout 1,5 Ressurection and Fallout of Nevada, which you can download for free!

After that go for Fallout New Vegas and you can end your adventure with the franchise (ofcourse replaying these titles is still a great idea, they are excellent for trying out new builds and approaches!).

This should keep you entartained at least until 2019. I really envy you right now.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. dawcio Learned

dawcio
    Maybe try some of the Pokemon games like Pokemon Blue and Silver?

• Funny x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Micormic Unwanted

Unwanted
    Icewind dale.

You can play as a warrior who kills skeletons, a wizard who kills skeletons or a thief that kills skeletons. OR any combination of up to 6 characters that kills skeletons :D

• Funny x 9
    • Cheers!! x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. dawcio Learned

dawcio
    I think you got to check out Black Geyser when it comes out. It's like a better PoE with very cool greed system.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Tito Anic Magister

Tito Anic
    Gothic, Gothic2, Gothic3, Risen, Elex

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Fargus Savant

Fargus

Play it again, Johnny. Or go play Bloodlines another amazing Troika's game.

^ Top  
  10. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    And then cry for you have reached the end of the RPG world. Thar be no dragons here. Just disappoint.
    :negative:

• Despair Despair x 3
    ^ Top  
  11. Darth Canoli Liturgist

Darth Canoli
    In terms of character development, i'd say Wizardry 8 (but with all the mods you can add and you HAVE to use the fast animation and fast ennemy turn mods ), probably Wiz 6 & 7 too but i only tried the windows version and they're a pile of shit, the DOS versions are the way to go (with dosbox but i still have to try them ), wizardry character dev system is just the best.

In terms of atmosphere, i think Fallout 1 and 2 fit best, still, i hope there is some mods for them, didn't try them since their release, wasn't yesterday but they're the best at what they do and there is a lot of cities in this post apocalyptic world.

In terms of freedom, i'd add Might & Magic 3-5 (old ones, with dosbox) and Might & Magic 7 (then 6 if you liked it and then 8 ), you can go anywhere, as long as you can stay alive, get quests everywhere and use the town teleporters to go in most places right after you start in MM3-5, if that's not freedom, i don't know what is.

In terms of story, characters interactions, i'd add Tyranny, it's probably the missing link between planescape torment and BG2. PC and NPC have some real grip in this one.

^ Top  
  12. Pope Amole II Prestigious Gentleman Nerd Commando Game Studios Developer

Pope Amole II
    GoldenLand.

• hopw roewur ne x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Fargus Savant

Fargus
    He played PoE though so he already tasted greasy unwashed dick of Disappoint.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. dawcio Learned

dawcio
    Holy molly, looks cool. Is it a good game?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Fargus Savant

Fargus
    Cant say for Golden Land 1, but the second is good enough for a fallout clone. If you dont take followers because they are a waste of space and totally useless. Just playing solo is a way to go.

Also the game is russian, but maybe there is translation somewhere.

^ Top  
  16. HeatEXTEND Cipher Patron

HeatEXTEND

^ Top  
  17. Darth Canoli Liturgist

Darth Canoli
    Just like in fallout, they're just mules / healers / decoys.
    Well, except for the super mutant in Fallout 2, you give him a rocket launcher and then shit flies.

^ Top  
  18. Molina Learned

Molina
    God saves Matouchka Rossia !

• Salute Salute x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Fargus Savant

Fargus
    In comparison to Fallout 2 followers in Golden Land 2 are absolutely fucking useless: they can't survive most of the random encounters, healing them is a waste of resources, they steal a chunk of your exp (the more companions the less xp), which is a no no in this game, and they dont even have the fraction of personality Fallout 2 followers had.

Spasibo, tovarish. Nostrovia!

Just keep in mind, it's a love\hate type of game. Almost forgot there is an official expansion for GL2 called Cold Sky, but it's stand-alone.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Circuit Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Good luck, man. Prepare to get immersed in a wonderful world of russian shovelware fallout clones. If you don't speak russian, beautiful translations would also add to experience.

• nice nice x 1
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Strange Fellow The Law Patron

Strange Fellow
    Mostly yourself and any other companion/s you may have picked up. Marcus with a rocket launcher channels the spirit of Ian.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Fargus Savant

Fargus
    Yep, at least Sulik with power armor and super sledge can do some damage. In GL2 however i had a follower - a knife throwing fag who refused to take any combat orders from the player character, because "you are too stupid to teach me about combat tactics". Needless to say he died like a bitch soon after.

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. Lord_Potato Erudite

Lord_Potato
    Definately, some true, Russian incline here!:hahyou:

OP: unless you search for obscure rpg experiences like I do, I would not advise going down this path.

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Pope Amole II Prestigious Gentleman Nerd Commando Game Studios Developer

Pope Amole II

• Prestigious Prestigious x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Secret Lab of the Warrior-Magus of Esoteric RPGism
    Nothing compares to Arcanum.

You've played the best RPG there is. No contest.

Anything else is going to be disappointing in comparison.

• Despair Despair x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)