Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Where the Hell did Richard Garriot get $35million from?

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
ah, the good old times on lum the mad's when all of the industry suddenly figured that a shitty game like lineage was making more money than all the big western mmos combined..

Fenril

Scholar
Yes, before Lum sold out to Mythic...ah the oldschool drama, the carebears versus the PKs, the random insulting, and Ultima Online was still worth 100 line forum posts.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
JarlFrank said:
So if you want to become fucking rich, you just have to make a successful MMORPG?
no. you have to make a korean/asian gankers' paradise mmorpg.
although, i guess, wow probably changed even that.

J1M

Arcane
Chefe said:
http://www.video.news.com.au/index-popup.html?Channel=NEWS.com.au+video&ClipId=1094_389226&bitrate=300&Format=flash

NEWS.com.au talks to pro gamer Ashley Jenkins about sexism in the gaming community.
Same shit I heard about 10 years ago. So much for them making progress.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
You know what's interesting:

Jon Van Caneghem, a good friend of Richard Garriott, and the man behind all the Might And Magic games, also shifted to MMOs. I just wonder why? Is the last MM game so bad?

Thrasher

Erudite
So now it should be clear to everyone why more MMORPGs are being made than SP RPGs.

No matter what they say, it's simply GREED.

mondblut

Arcane
News say the toilet has broken again on the space station.

Shitting into outer space through an illuminator, that's some 35 millions well spent, Richie! :D

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
JarlFrank said:
So if you want to become fucking rich, you just have to make a successful MMORPG?
Interplay is gonna earn some serious $$$.

Ebonsword

Arcane
I never knew that his father was a Skylab astronaut until I heard an interview with Richard Garriot on NPR the other day.

I guess that explains where all that crazy outerspace stuff came from in the first two Ultima games.

Oh, and I was watching the When We Left Earth Blu-ray over the weekend, and guess who got interviewed about Skylab on that show? Yep, Garriot's dad.

MisterStone

Arcane
All of the MM games I have played were bad... they were fucking retarded hack jobs. Garriot probably just felt sorry for that guy and let him pretend to be his friend or something... I can't make sense of this any other way.

Fenril

Scholar
Richard could probably use some tips from the M&M guy for most of its titles when it comes to statistics and character development, I would risk saying combat mechanics too.

Seriously were the ultimas, putting aside the setting, the interactive world and characters and all that shit really great rpgs on the other aspects?

And Ascension? WTF the fuck was that bugged to hell underdeveloped drull POS.

Pastel

Scholar
I think space tourism is faggotry. If you go up there at least do something useful.

Fenril

Scholar
Its a grand soul changing personal journey Pastel. You obviously are not a very romantic or sensible guy.

Shame on you.

Thrasher

Erudite
but faggotry is a soul changing personal journey.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom