Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Which console gen is worse - current or last?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Lots more console talk on this forum than there usually was a few years ago. Anyway... I have only ever used Nintendo consoles, so my input is limited, but I can tell you games from this "generation" are much better than 360 era games on average, IMO. Though that's mostly because of indie shit I'm not even sure is on console, so...

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
I can't tell any more. The newest console I have is a PS3. Lost interest with the arrival of console exclusives, paywalls, networks, and endless sequel-itis that kicked in during the last gen. Never have seen the reason to get a PS4, and the last Nintendo console I played was the used DSLite I bought a couple of years ago. Haven't had a MS console since the original XBox. Consoles are pretty much dead to me. If I wanna play a console now, I'll just play one of my PC games that has controller support.

Generic-Giant-Spider

gAmInG hAs nEvEr bEEn beTTeR!!!!

sipz jolt n plays latest hackjob battle royale game with 2004 graphix

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
isn't this gen like 80% remasters of previous gens? that should tell you something

Exactly.

The best games for this gen are all last gen ones. it's crackers.

Doesn't Sony have a solid lineup of exclusive singleplayer stuff? I was midway through a post about how singleplayer stuff is more rare outside of indies so it's hard to develop a big stable of exclusive singleplayer games, but then I started remembering Sony exclusives I wish I could play.

Falksi

Arcane
isn't this gen like 80% remasters of previous gens? that should tell you something

Exactly.

The best games for this gen are all last gen ones. it's crackers.

Doesn't Sony have a solid lineup of exclusive singleplayer stuff? I was midway through a post about how singleplayer stuff is more rare outside of indies so it's hard to develop a big stable of exclusive singleplayer games, but then I started remembering Sony exclusives I wish I could play.

Go for it mate, I've not payed that much attention tbh but i'd be happy to check them out?

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The PS4/Xbone era is definitely worse than the PS3/360.

You had plenty of exclusives worth playing on the PS3, The Uncharted series, Killzone, Gran Turismo, Darku Souru (first one only, the rest are shit) etc. I actually bought a PS3 just so I could play Dark Souls, and I wasn't disappointed.

I have only seen 1 game worthy of even having a PS4, and none worth BUYING one for. There are basically no exclusives apart from Bloodeborne (which sucks and isn't exclusive anymore) and Horizon: Zero Dawn.

"Consoles" nowadays are just nerfed PC's. (Or turbo-overpowered PCs if you are a retard that listens to hypebeasts like Makkkabbb)

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Go for it mate, I've not payed that much attention tbh but i'd be happy to check them out?

Not really sure what you're asking me, I don't play console games so I can't speak to their quality. I just know Sony have a large stable of singleplayer exclusives like that Horizon game, Uncharted, Last of Us, Infamous, Spider-Man, the new Kojima game, God of War, the arty shit from that Ico studio, that new biker zombie thing... there's lots of stuff. I'm not saying any of it is good, I wouldn't know, but general word of mouth is pretty positive about most of them.

Falksi

Arcane

Not really sure what you're asking me, I don't play console games so I can't speak to their quality. I just know Sony have a large stable of singleplayer exclusives like that Horizon game, Uncharted, Last of Us, Infamous, Spider-Man, the new Kojima game, God of War, the arty shit from that Ico studio, that new biker zombie thing... there's lots of stuff. I'm not saying any of it is good, I wouldn't know, but general word of mouth is pretty positive about most of them.

See I've played a fair few of them and most are shit.

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
The new Switch seems pointless. Almost the same size as the original and only plays ''handheld'' games. If they were gonna make a portability minded device, they could've at least made it a bit sturdier and pack in a 3DS emulator.

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
I have no idea why anyone would still give a shit about Nintendo. It's transparently obvious they want to kill off the 3DS line and go all-in with Switch. Fucking a box of salted tacks sounds more appealing than that piece of shit.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I didn't buy the PS4, so last generation was better. The bump in graphics from PS2 to PS3 was legit as hell. I remember being blown away by the graphics on my first HDTV playing Oblivion and Resistance: Fall of Man. That was an actual jump. Nowadays, I've not really been blown away by any graphics. Seems like that was a feeling that will not come back.

Someone said it best one. Used to be that you'd have a reason to have a console and a PC. The exclusives were too numerous to pass. That seems to be gone now. A lot of the AAA titles are either garbage or available on PC. If they aren't, it's oftentimes not worth it buying an entire system for one game.

On top of that, it used to be as close to plug-and-play as possible. You could buy a game and not worry about updates, bugs, etc. Hell, I did very, very little, if any, online gaming during the PS2-era. Crazy how you have to wait 6 months+ for a game to be playable in some cases.

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
On top of that, it used to be as close to plug-and-play as possible. You could buy a game and not worry about updates, bugs, etc. Hell, I did very, very little, if any, online gaming during the PS2-era. Crazy how you have to wait 6 months+ for a game to be playable in some cases.
Quoted for truth. This horseshit right here one-shot killed console gaming for me. At that point it was like all the drawbacks of old PC gaming, with none of the benefits.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I didn't buy the PS4, so last generation was better. The bump in graphics from PS2 to PS3 was legit as hell. I remember being blown away by the graphics on my first HDTV playing Oblivion and Resistance: Fall of Man. That was an actual jump. Nowadays, I've not really been blown away by any graphics. Seems like that was a feeling that will not come back.

Adaptive sync at up to 144fps is way more of a mind blower than any graphics improvements the last 5 or so years. Especially since most of those improvements are hampered by blur filter AA.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Adaptive sync at up to 144fps is way more of a mind blower than any graphics improvements the last 5 or so years. Especially since most of those improvements are hampered by blur filter AA.
Not at all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom