Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which Elder Scrolls has the longest story?

V_K

Arcane
I'm not sure about longest, but Daggerfall is the most replayable story-wise, being the only TES with C&Cs and 6 different endings.

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
I only played the last 3 but I remember Morrowind seemed like it was longer than oblivion and skyrim, probably bc I didn't know where I was going half the time

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
>Which Elder Scrolls has the longest story?

Daggerfall of course. King Edward, parts 1 through 12. I remember extracting the text from the game files many years ago so I could make it into a single file I could read outside of the game.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I'm not sure about longest, but Daggerfall is the most replayable story-wise, being the only TES with C&Cs and 6 different endings.
Although Daggerfall does have 7 different endings, depending on which faction you side with, the only practical difference is which reward you receive, and the only story-based effect is the narration when completing the main quest. Plus, you make this decision just before the very last quest in the main quest line, so you can easily view these endings by replaying the Mantellan Crux rather than the entire game. C&C in the main quest line is also limited, though certainly greater than any other Elder Scrolls games.

Replayability in Daggerfall is offered primarily through character creation, which is possibly the most versatile of any single-player CRPG ever, and secondarily through the different guilds, which are tailored to different character skills, but this is much the same as Morrowind.

Daggerfall does boast a more complicated semi-linear structure to the main quests, which is readily apparent in graphical format, but I don't think this adds much to replayability.

Kalon

Scholar
I only played the last 3 but I remember Morrowind seemed like it was longer than oblivion and skyrim, probably bc I didn't know where I was going half the time

Artificial length. With fast travel, it wouldn't last that long.

Sykar

Arcane

Artificial length. With fast travel, it wouldn't last that long.

Morrowind had fast travel but it was logical like Silk Striders and Recall spell. If anything what was artificial/retarded was the fast travel of Obliviturd which allowed you to instantly teleport whenever wherever..

Ranarama

Learned
Clearly Nehrim had the longest story of all the TES games. Felt like I was low level for the longest too, which is the sweet spot for Oblivion.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Morrowind has no plot? What? It had a nice plot twist actually midway through and the "big bad guy" was not as big and bad as one thought during gameplay.

How on earth are Oblivion & Skyrim replayable when you can do everything you want and have every skill and kill every mudcrab in one playthrough?

There's always mods.

Mods cannot cure the sheer retardation that is Oblivion.

Nehrim was good for what it was. Its a total conversion though and reminds much more of the Gothic series than the original game. (its still nowhere as good as Gothic because of lacking sidecontent and a much worse combat system)

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Why is Arena not on op's list? That's the only one ive finished.

most prolly because daggerfall does everything that arena and then some more

Arena has entire continent and sane-sized (but yet bigger than in TES3+) dungeons. And actual classes.
Yeah, the fact that each class had some (albeit small in some cases) differentiation from the others, lien rangers with faster travel and bonus damage to undead and knight with immunity to paralysis, and assassin with insane melee damage capabilities (a level 30 assassin with ebony dai-katana has a 90% chance to deal a critical for a max of 111 damage every hit), sorcerer with its spell absorption, battlemages having a lower mana cost for damage spells, etc for every class. Something missing in all the other games as far as replayability.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom