Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which game made you give up on Bioware?

The game that made me quit Bioware forever was...

• Total voters

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Look, if you don't stand Imoen like many of us, just ditch her and choose other characters, or go solo if you dare. That's a very poor reason to ditch the game.

At least BG2 Imoen was better than BG1 one.

I didn't ditch the game, though. Technically I never started "playing" it, as I only had a test run to see what the game was like before playing Icewind Dale first (I simply made it out of the starting dungeon and uninstalled). And Imoen was insufferable in that first dungeon, to the point it doesn't surprise me BioWare went to shit eventually.

I'll play BG2 when the time is right, but Imoen is awful and that's basically the path BioWare ended up going down. It's like they tried to make her character depressed, but it comes across as tumblr attention whore and your worst kind of emo. It must be physically impossible to get through of the first dungeon without cringing at least 10 times to her dialogue.

Cael

Arcane
What the hell was wrong with Imoen in BG1? She had the least number of lines, didn't interject, didn't start fights and didn't care if you are Good or Evil. Far better than Shar-teel and her emo crap. Or Ajantis wanting to fight every evil NPC who joins your party, even the not-so-Evil ones like Kagain and Viconia, but is ok with the racist Kivan and the Evil-in-all-but-name druid, whatever her name was (the one in the Cloakwood).

McPlusle

Savant
What the hell was wrong with Imoen in BG1? She had the least number of lines, didn't interject, didn't start fights and didn't care if you are Good or Evil.
I feel like most of the people who hate Imoen have never played past the first chapter of either game.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Her dialogues in starting Candlekeep and how she forces her way into your party, like it or not, are almost in par with how you meet Neera (you have to save a stupid crazy girl for nothing, fucking great...)

Her personality was further explored by the NPC Project and she was still a cheerful airhead. Some will like, some will not.

Delterius

Arcane
"Do ya wanna tell me a story bout' trollops and plug tails? Please?" and

"Back home, Puff-guts would always tell me a story."

is like a portable

"So I kicked him in the head 'till he was dead, HUHAHAHA!"

So I did the sensible thing and told Imoen to go back home.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
What the hell was wrong with Imoen in BG1? She had the least number of lines, didn't interject, didn't start fights and didn't care if you are Good or Evil. Far better than Shar-teel and her emo crap. Or Ajantis wanting to fight every evil NPC who joins your party, even the not-so-Evil ones like Kagain and Viconia, but is ok with the racist Kivan and the Evil-in-all-but-name druid, whatever her name was (the one in the Cloakwood).
I always keep her in the first game even if i play rogue,in the second one she is terrible and useless. Don't know why people hate her.

Momock

Augur
Well I tried it for 15 minutes, and yes the game is attempted murder. Enemies explode when I kill them like vampires from From Dusk Til Dawn. And combat in general looks like I'm playing Batman Arkham Asylum. What the fuck Bioware? The graphics are nice though.
You played the part where a dwarf is telling your story to some inquisitor, so everything is over the top (including the tits of your sister). Eventually they tell him to stop his bullshit and the game come back to normal (but normal is still shit).

Master

Arbiter
Well I tried it for 15 minutes, and yes the game is attempted murder. Enemies explode when I kill them like vampires from From Dusk Til Dawn. And combat in general looks like I'm playing Batman Arkham Asylum. What the fuck Bioware? The graphics are nice though.
You played the part where a dwarf is telling your story to some inquisitor, so everything is over the top (including the tits of your sister). Eventually they tell him to stop his bullshit and the game come back to normal (but normal is still shit).
Haha seriously? Ok I'll give it another go then. Bioware has some sense of humor after all...

Sizzle

Arcane
BioWare apologists also use this to explain why the game only has about three different dungeon maps: "It's because Varric is telling the story, and he can't really be expected to remember every little detail about every inconsequential dungeon they visited, now can he?" :D

ArchAngel

Arcane
I noticed The Decline with NWN1. But I finally gave up hoping they could turn it around after playing ME2. ME3 was my last game of theirs and I only played it once so to finish the story (and it was about as bad as I expected it to be - and I am not talking about the ending which was not even the worst part of the game)

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
BioWare apologists also use this to explain why the game only has about three different dungeon maps: "It's because Varric is telling the story, and he can't really be expected to remember every little detail about every inconsequential dungeon they visited, now can he?" :D
:0-13:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I always keep her in the first game even if i play rogue,in the second one she is terrible and useless. Don't know why people hate her.
She's viable in both games, guess people hate her for being proto-Neera personality-wise.
Well in the second game i do get it,you come her by the time you get a really nice party with favourite characters. If you go there with a full party you even end up leaving her in the mad house dungeon from what i remember.

Barely Literate
It was pretty much DA2. I only ended up buying it when it was like 6 bucks. It was a struggle but I beat the game. Got DA:I as a present from my gf, played it for an hour or two and never again.

Sykar

Arcane
Her dialogues in starting Candlekeep and how she forces her way into your party, like it or not, are almost in par with how you meet Neera (you have to save a stupid crazy girl for nothing, fucking great...)

Her personality was further explored by the NPC Project and she was still a cheerful airhead. Some will like, some will not.

There is nothing stopping you from dismissing her...

Theldaran

Liturgist
It was pretty much DA2. I only ended up buying it when it was like 6 bucks. It was a struggle but I beat the game. Got DA:I as a present from my gf, played it for an hour or two and never again.

Inquisition is really hard. On your nerves.

Edit: Inquisition goes second on this poll. Not bad, not bad.

Sòren

Arcane
A darker undertone would have made BG2 even more of a legend. Irenicus could have easily been badder.

i thought Irenicus would have been a much better villian if his banishment from the elven community truly was unjustified. i always hoped for a twist or a revelation to occur. never got what was supposed to be so great about him except voice acting.

Sizzle

Arcane
A darker undertone would have made BG2 even more of a legend. Irenicus could have easily been badder.

i thought Irenicus would have been a much better villian if his banishment from the elven community truly was unjustified. i always hoped for a twist or a revelation to occur. never got what was supposed to be so great about him except voice acting.

A couple of things: he's a proactive villain, always scheming behind the scenes, but also regularly appearing to fight the PC. And there's a sense of power progression to those fights - as you are out in the world gaining power, so is he, each time becoming even deadlier.

I agree that he could have been a better antagonist, but he's still better integrated into the storyline (including the backstory of the game) than the vast majority of bad guys we see in RPGs today, let alone from nuBioWare.

Cael

Arcane

Irenicus is one of the WORST villians I have ever come across. The guy's entire schtick is that the Queen rejected him and so he used Evil and forbidden magical rites in order to FORCE the Queen to love him. Bear in mind that the Queen is a Chosen of the Seldarine, the elven GODS OF GOOD. When his actions were exposed, he was not even sorry and instead tried to fight his way out before he was captured and had his soul removed for being a complete dick. Everything he did since is to get back at those he believes wronged him.

The guy is basically an emo teen unable to deal with rejection.

Sizzle

Arcane

Irenicus is one of the WORST villians I have ever come across. The guy's entire schtick is that the Queen rejected him and so he used Evil and forbidden magical rites in order to FORCE the Queen to love him. Bear in mind that the Queen is a Chosen of the Seldarine, the elven GODS OF GOOD. When his actions were exposed, he was not even sorry and instead tried to fight his way out before he was captured and had his soul removed for being a complete dick. Everything he did since is to get back at those he believes wronged him.

:what:

While being the Queen's paramour, he grew jealous of her power and immortality, and so he tried to become a God and failed, and that's why he was stripped of his Elven soul. The part with the Queen (the clones, dryads, and replica of her bedroom in his dungeon) is because he is trying to hold on to the degradation of his essence, not because he wants to force her to love him again.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Go and fall in love and tell me that shit. Every hero/villain can be summarised in a few words. As if there was no wars for women,let alone murders. Go find yourself some love mate,and stop talking shit.

Flou

Arbiter
Dragon Age 2 & Mass Effect 3 tagteamed me, violently.

I could have forgiven the changes in mechanics with Dragon Age 2, but no way will I ever forget the fact that they used same maps all over and over again through out the game. Add bad encounter design (mobs spawning out of nowhere over and over and over again) and a plot that just didn't make sense in my playthrough. Anders going psycho because we were losing the fight was beyon retarded (I was winning the fight easily), costing me my only healer for the actual last fight. Which brings us to plain bad companion design. One healer in a game where you need healer badly? I could have lived with that if it weren't for the fact that Anders was annoying as fuck to drag along and would have never been in my party if I had an actual choice to kick him out. Oh and playersexul companions that start hitting on you out of fucking nowhere.

Mass Effect 3 shat on Mass Effect 1&2. It was supposed to be something epic.. all those choices that were supposed to make a difference were pretty non-existant after all. The ending itself just showed how they couldn't write themselves out of a fucking paperbag. 3 games and it comes down to pressing a motherfucking button. I can't remember what else was wrong with the game, I think I just stopped caring at some point and finished the saga and tried to forget.

Cael

Arcane

Go and fall in love and tell me that shit. Every hero/villain can be summarised in a few words. As if there was no wars for women,let alone murders. Go find yourself some love mate,and stop talking shit.
Trying to force a woman (or a man) to love you when they no longer do because of something you did is never going to work.

There is a word for people who start wars or murder because a woman rejected them: psychotic. Just because such things exist in real life doesn't mean I should not show them the contempt they deserve.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Trying to force a woman (or a man) to love you when they no longer do because of something you did is never going to work.

There is a word for people who start wars or murder because a woman rejected them: psychotic. Just because such things exist in real life doesn't mean I should not show them the contempt they deserve.
Lol you sound very ..... liberal there mate. Are you feeling alright? You talking as if women are not objects of desire that have to be conquered by men! Love is not something rational you can just let go after the chick said no one time. It is sad that you have never felt real love in your life.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom