Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which game made you give up on Bioware?

The game that made me quit Bioware forever was...

• Total voters

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Certainly it was a terrible letdown for me. And moreso, it paved the way for popamole in the West and East, like Fallout 4 and FF15.
Compared to Oblivion and Fallout 3, or even Mass Effect, Dragon Age was nothing.

Fallout 4 on the other hand paved the way to incline, before that Bethesda was considered the king of open-world RPGs, but Fallout 4 was such a shitty game that now they're considered below CDProjeckt even among mainstream journalists, and much better and challenging open-world games like Kingdom Come and Zelda: Breath of the Wild also gained mainstream recognition. If Bethesda doesn't make a decent enough game next time they could be fucked.

Theldaran

Liturgist
I dunno, FO4 still sold like crazy and before that they had Skyrim. They have to fuck up hard to be damaged. We'll see with FO76, but that game doesn't seem to have taken like a lot of effort.

Still the popamolers love Bethesda. I don't see Bethesda endangered, that might be just a pipe dream of ours.

Master

Arbiter
DA2 is garbage indeed. It's even winning this very poll by a wide margin.

Yes, but it shouldn't be winning this very poll... All of you are implying that the original Dragon Age was great incline and somehow DA2 screw the pooch... This is incorrect, both games are garbage. That was the point i was making. Anyone who claims he liked the combat or the story in DAO is a fucking hypocrite, or he was 12 when it was released...
DAO wasn't that bad, especially if you mod it. Story itself wasn't much but some characters were good, at least they didnt make me want to kill someone. But some were just bad like Anomen, or was it just his voice actor?

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
I dunno, FO4 still sold like crazy and before that they had Skyrim. They have to fuck up hard to be damaged. We'll see with FO76, but that game doesn't seem to have taken like a lot of effort.

Still the popamolers love Bethesda. I don't see Bethesda endangered, that might be just a pipe dream of ours.
They already fucked up hard enough, Fallout 4 may have sold millions but their next game will definitely sell less thanks to lots of disappointed fans, especially if they keep dumbing-down their properties.

They're not going bankrupt any time soon, but they need to make better games if they don't want to give a chance to their competition: The Witcher 3 for example already outsold them with a much better game and without a huge marketing machine, and they definitely don't want to wide that gap.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Companies can't keep at the top all the time, especially a company that does questionable games like Bethesda. The audience has an ebb and flow. And I think that when FO4 released, that was a pretty weak year in gaming.

Frozen

Arcane
Certainly it was a terrible letdown for me. And moreso, it paved the way for popamole in the West and East, like Fallout 4 and FF15.
Compared to Oblivion and Fallout 3, or even Mass Effect, Dragon Age was nothing.

Fallout 4 on the other hand paved the way to incline, before that Bethesda was considered the king of open-world RPGs, but Fallout 4 was such a shitty game that now they're considered below CDProjeckt even among mainstream journalists, and much better and challenging open-world games like Kingdom Come and Zelda: Breath of the Wild also gained mainstream recognition. If Bethesda doesn't make a decent enough game next time they could be fucked.

The only difference is that Gamebryo is now 20+ yo and in 2008. (FO3) it was younger. Its the same shitty game only now antiquity of the engine really shows.
And they are not capable of making another game...ever.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted

Yes, but it shouldn't be winning this very poll... All of you are implying that the original Dragon Age was great incline and somehow DA2 screw the pooch... This is incorrect, both games are garbage. That was the point i was making. Anyone who claims he liked the combat or the story in DAO is a fucking hypocrite, or he was 12 when it was released...
some characters were good,

Found the autist

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot

Found the autist

TemplarGR mainly, it's not that DA:O was great incline, it was that it was something. This is very important. Even playing it back then you knew it was a bit shit, but it wasn't quite shit enough to be ridiculed mercilessly, it did just enough to get a pass. If you imagine a five star system of rating and then converted those words into realism you'd get the following:

Utter shite
Utter shite but it's heart was in the right place
Average
There's some elements of genuine incline here
Incline

And DA:O shuffled around the 2-4 mark, with most of it just being plainly average but with some serious dips and curves into shite and incline. & before you ask "what incline? There wasn't any", the incline was the technical feat of making an isometric party-based game using up to the minute graphics & still managing to maintain some semblance of tactical play, something that seems to baffle everyone who makes 'modern big budget RPGs', even the much loved popamole Witcher 3 & the memetastic ELEX & all etc. But boy, were its dips into utter shite really shite tho, like when the semblance of tactics doesn't provide much relation to the encounter design, the consolisation of Baldur's Gate & all that implies & the overly-generic world that felt both small and claustrophobic while at the same time feeling overly large and too empty.

DA:O represented the minimum acceptable, so, obviously, when DA2 landed, it crashed and burned. DA2 marks the tipping point of acceptability. Also, DA2 is when it stopped being Bioware anyway & became EA, so the title of the thread's a joke anyway as over half those games aren't even Bioware, they're EAware. What game made you give up on Bioware? The megacorporation monopoly game did, just like it does with most companies.

Last edited:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
DA:O was an oasis in a desert of popamole trash. It wasn't a particularly good game, but at least it was something.

I remember thinking at the time DA:O was the long awaited return of the AAA traditional CRPG. If you went back to 2009 and told me how the series turned out after, I doubt I would have believed you.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted

Found the autist

TemplarGR mainly, it's not that DA:O was great incline, it was that it was something. This is very important. Even playing it back then you knew it was a bit shit, but it wasn't quite shit enough to be ridiculed mercilessly, it did just enough to get a pass. If you imagine a five star system of rating and then converted those words into realism you'd get the following:

Utter shite
Average
Incline

And DA:O shuffled around the 2-4 mark, with most of it just being plainly average but with some serious dips and curves into shite and incline. & before you ask "what incline? There wasn't any", the incline was the technical feat of making an isometric party-based game using up to the minute graphics & still managing to maintain some semblance of tactical play, something that seems to baffle everyone who makes 'modern big budget RPGs', even the much loved popamole Witcher 3 & the memetastic ELEX & all etc. But boy, were its dips into utter shite really shite tho, like when the semblance of tactics doesn't provide much relation to the encounter design, the consolisation of Baldur's Gate & all that implies & the overly-generic world that felt both small and claustrophobic while at the same time feeling overly large and too empty.

DA:O represented the minimum acceptable, so, obviously, when DA2 landed, it crashed and burned. DA2 marks the tipping point of acceptability. Also, DA2 is when it stopped being Bioware anyway & became EA, so the title of the thread's a joke anyway as over half those games aren't even Bioware, they're EAware. What game made you give up on Bioware? The megacorporation monopoly game did, just like it does with most companies.

That Conversation made me quit the game. I think that was maybe 2-3 hours in at the most?

Can't play games designed by pedophiles and virgins, doesn't compute.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected

Found the autist

Utter shite
Average
Incline

That Conversation made me quit the game. I think that was maybe 2-3 hours in at the most?

Can't play games designed by pedophiles and virgins, doesn't compute.

Wow, her tits are saggy. Dialogue sounds like it was ripped from Smurfs, combat isn't turn-based, and that clinky coin noise for running in full kit attracted every Jew in a five mile radius of my house.

Cael

Arcane
Also, DA2 is when it stopped being Bioware anyway & became EA, so the title of the thread's a joke anyway as over half those games aren't even Bioware, they're EAware. What game made you give up on Bioware? The megacorporation monopoly game did, just like it does with most companies.
So, what you are saying is that we didn't give up on Biowaste, but Biowaste gave up on us? I am not sure if this leaves a better taste in the mouth...

DraQ

Arcane
Baldur's Gate 1, the Oblivion of its time.

Sure, there are some positive things you can say about it (proving that even Oblivions have declined over time), so let's get them out of the way:
  • Nice-ish visuals (apart from retarded stipple transparency on water - would it be so hard to just bake it in?).
  • Serviceable story (but see below).
  • The fact that characters in the party interact and can even come to blows over the differences.
  • The few combat encounters where you have to deal with other adventuring parties are sort of interesting.
  • AoE spells are fun against hordes of low level mobs.
  • Narrator creates a nice atmosphere.
Other than that it's mostly a clusterfuck of bad:
  • Pacing is atrocious (around 90% of the game's critical path is effectively nothing of note happening, with all the story crammed into the final 10%, effectively killing it) - seriously, Skyrim's pacing is glorious in comparison and that's something you don't hear very often (mainly on the account of how buttfucking awful Skyrim's pacing is)
  • Combat is an RTWP clusterfuck of derp plus some stupid, yet hard to avoid if you play tactically at all (as in scout out first, then open with a nuke) exploits.
  • The game tries to pull off both continuous map and discrete points of interest at the same time, failing miserably at both and producing some stitched up abortion as the result, with bonus of cutting up locations into nonsensical chunks (best seen in BG itself).
  • The implementation of karma system and its interaction with recruitable characters is bad.
  • The game can't make its mind whether it's supposed to be true party based game or protagonist + followers with their own agendas, ending up with a hilarious mash-up of both.
  • Wiping the fog off the screen then waving your mouse over every fallen pinecone, tree (stump) or rock in hope that it may actually be some stupidly OP treasure unlike all the other, pixel-identical, pinecones, tree (stump)s and rocks is neither exploration nor a good way to spend my time.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I was going through my library of games this morning (that's a physical library for anyone under 25) when I came across my ME cd's and was reminded of the existance of Bioware. I didn't buy ME3, but was thinking about whether I'd hold to my principles if it turned up on GOG for a few bob. So I did a quick search on Youtube to find the latest on Bioware: and was greeted by some shit third person shooter game, Anita Saarkasian (however you spell that name) visiting Bioware to advise them on stuff, and Bioware employees (one former, I think) laughing at/celebrating the death of Totalbiscuit this year...because he had different politics to them...

...So, yeah...glad I gave up on Bioware when I did.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom