Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which game world felt most "alive" ?

Unwanted

LAO

Unwanted
I need a game with a very immersive and detailed world,preferably a open world or a RPG but it can be any game from any genre.For now the most "alive" game worlds i have seen is Fallout New vegas,GTA San Andreas and Baldur's Gate 2.

What is the most immersive game world out there ?

Unwanted

LAO

Unwanted
If you're looking for an immersive open world, nothing beats Ultima VII.

is Ultima VII similiar to Ultima Online ? can you pick up anything,create clothes,fish,cook,ride horses,tame animals and do others things that you can do in Ultima Online ?

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Madden '18

PREVIEW_SCREENSHOT10_149431.jpg

Unwanted

LAO

Unwanted
I will check it out Ultima VII then.i was amazed with the amount of things you can do in Ultima Online but i got bored with the MMO part of it: people with tamed dragons teleporting everywhere and mobs of monsters everywhere.

Abhay

Augur
GTA San Andreas. The best (and most immersive) open world set in an urban environment.

Watch Dogs 2. Though I didn't like the game but the world definitely felt more alive than several other open worlds of its time.

Morkar Left

Some underdogs and classics:
Yakuza series
Space Rangers 2
Starflight 1 + 2
Privateer
Jagged Alliance 2

DraQ

Arcane
Morrowind.

First playthrough it absolutely sucked me in massively, and actually felt like I was living in another realm.
Morrowind doesn't really feel alive. At best it feels like a still snapshot of massively alive and vibrant world.
The amazing detail and immersion are all there, so as long as you don't pay too much attention to the NPCs (come in, buy gear, get quest, ask about stuff, be on your way) it's great.

Anyway:
  • Frontier: Elite 2 and Frontier: First Encounters - massive, open world spacesims with Newtonian mechanics, realistically scaled universe and freedom to do pretty much anything that involves flying a spaceship. Ships depart and arrive, job ads appear on BBS, you can take all sorts of jobs (delivery, taxi, assassinations), engage in piracy or bounty hunting, trade, smuggle, work as a merc or even buy mining machinery and a big ship and set out to the fringes of explored space to find some precious ores. In FFE you also have electronic newspapers publishing articles, and there is a whole main questline you can miss completely and end up reading about an NPC doing it instead. There is also Pioneer - a FOSS spiritual successor, but it's still WIP although generally in playable state.
  • S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series - characters roam the zone, camp out, can be traded with, can die in various circumstances, etc. For example when going one way you might find an encampment occupied by hostile bandits, on your way back they might have been taken out by stalkers, who later on might be killed by mutants that make the place their lair. In Clear Sky (arguably the weakest and buggiest instalment) you even get faction mechanics where factions may actually fight against each other and even wipe out one another, even without your participation.
  • TES II: Daggerfall - absolutely massive, with seasons, changing weather patterns, huge cities, regional holidays, banking and legal systems, and huge, labyrinthine dungeons. It has it's weak points (multitude, to be honest) but as an insanely ambitious and largely successful attempt to build a living, breathing world it has few equals.
  • TES III: Morrowind - apart from the caveat above it really is an intriguing and alien world, with tons of intricate details tied into one another. In most games visual representation is just interchangeable tokens - in Morrowind there is information relevant to the world building in every corner - encrypted letters that look like gibberish can actually be deciphered using real life cryptographic methods and contain relevant information that might not even be accessible in any other way, characters clothes may contain relevant information beyond just the status of a character wearing them, etc. It's smaller an much less alive than Daggerfall, but arguably it's even more of a world.
  • TES V: Skyrim - yeah, it's actually quite alive and responsive, yet fairly detailed as well. Set it up with a complete gameplay overhaul (like Requiem) to fix dumbed down mechanics and something like 3DNPCS to add more interesting characters and questlines into the world, and you're in for a ride.
Edit:
Also, no one mentioned Dorf Fortress? Really?
I don't play it but it seems like a prime candidate.

Last edited:

Dodo1610

Arcane
trails in the sky / cold steel series.

For a JRPG the world in Trail of Cold Steel 1 feels really alive due to the other students and people that live in the village with their own distinct personalities and hobbys.

But nothing beats Gothic and Gothic 2 just walking throgh the Old Camp is more immersive then anything we have ever seen a TES game.

1356482942510.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom