Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which has better combat? Deadfire or Origins?

Which has better combat?

• Dragon Age: Origins

Votes: 42 46.7%
  • Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire

Votes: 48 53.3%

• Total voters

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Don't be a fucking retard. You don't need to be a film critic to have a valid opinion on the newest blockbuster movie that just came out. That means I don't need to play every single RPG deemed worthy by the Codex to express my discontent with DA:O's shitty combat system.

I already proved how fucking stupid Lilura was on the EE thread, where she eventually stopped responding and just proceeded to passive aggressively rate all my posts shit/retarded. This attempt at invalidating my opinion because I haven't played FO is her latest attempt at trying to make an argument, because coherent sentences are too much for her. You, and everyone else that are playing into that, are just further examples of fanboys on the internet. I'll say it again, hop off my dick.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
It's mental that so many people voted for Dragon Age. Could someone elaborate on why they think it's better?
Next time make your poll results public so you can call out specific members.

Yeah, I should have. Hopefully it's just people being contrarian, because it would be outrageous to think this many people actually believe it.

Cadmus

Arcane
Having played neither, I vote Origins because I like gay and ugly elves.
:shredder:

And because that's a good insult to Soyer.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, I should have. Hopefully it's just people being contrarian, because it would be outrageous to think this many people actually believe it.

Except who knows, your sense of quality might be faulty. If you are so convinced that DF is the Second Coming, why make a poll like this?

I'm not expressing an opinion either way yet.

Bocian

Arcane
I liked Shadowrun: Dragonfall quite a bit.
It's one of the most overrated turds that Codex keeps praising. If this game is an example of "good writing", then I don't really know what else to say. Let it all burn, there's nothing to be lost.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
The Codex having a somewhat positive opinion on DA:O isn't a new thing. It was the RPG of the Year here back in 2009 and is #33 on the all-time ranking from 2014. Meanwhile PoE1 barely made it to the top 20 in the RPGotY vote in 2015.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
The combat system and character creation were incredibly basic and casual in Dragon Age: Origins. So was the itemization and encounter design for that matter.

Anyone that believes Dragon Age has better combat isn't someone I want to discuss games with. This poll is causing me to reconsider my opinion of this place.

Dodo1610

Arcane
I think the reason why more people vote for Deadfire is that it gives players the illusion of depth with it's 8 classes instead of DA:O's 3, the bigger party and the countless stats and buff and debuffs Deadfire has.

Last edited:

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
I think people are either fucking with you, or DA:O is far enough in the past that they've forgotten how comically bad the combat systems and presentation were... Plus DA:O came out during quite possibly even leaner times.

Edit: And I think modding is a separate issue and doesn't really count considering the question does not include it.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
I think the reason why more people vote for Deadfire is that it gives players the illusion of depth with it's 8 classes instead of DA:O's 3, the bigger party and the countless stats and buff and debuffs Deafire has.

11 classes. 40 subclasses. God knows how many multiclass combinations.

It's a fact, not an illusion. Deadfire has more depth than Dragon Age.

Lacrymas

Arcane

I was meaning to ask you about this. Can you turn off the random items? I despise "[Prefix] [Base Item] of the [Suffix]" type items and I see that mod adds these. I see there's an option for "NoItems", does that turn them off?

It's a fact, not an illusion. Deadfire has more depth than Dragon Age.

The combat system itself is very simple and even repetitive, it is an illusion in that context. All multiclassing does is add a tremendous power divide between the different builds. The system and encounter design don't work together and they don't play to each other's strengths.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Don't be a fucking retard. You don't need to be a film critic to have a valid opinion on the newest blockbuster movie that just came out.
You do need to have watched at least a few good movies if you want to be taken seriously on a forum for movie enthusiasts.

Lacrymas

Arcane
The validity of an opinion is based on the strength of its arguments. "I don't like it and it looks gross" aren't strong arguments.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
I have countless arguments, but the most important is that Dragon Age is extremely simple and casualized in comparison with Deadfire.

Deadfire offers nearly unlimited customization and depth. Arguably the best customization ever in a CRPG, or at least since Neverwinter Nights 2.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Customization, sure. Depth, not so much. It's also interesting how we haven't seen a single one of those countless arguments.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Having greater customization is an example of having greater depth. A major example.

What about itemization? Surely you would agree that Dragon Age doesn't have the same variety of unique equipment and items, nor the same range of unique effects and enchantments as Deadfire?

imweasel

Anyone that believes Dragon Age has better combat isn't someone I want to discuss games with. This poll is causing me to reconsider my opinion of this place.
Baldur's Gate 2 would blow both games out of the water in such a poll, because it is far superior in every way.

Does that make you feel better?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Having greater customization is an example of having greater depth. A major example.

No, it doesn't. The combat system as it is being played is what counts. You can have the most versatile build system in the world, but when you defeat everything by Select All -> Right Click it doesn't add anything. Wide as an ocean, deep as a puddle as they say.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Baldur's Gate 2 would blow both games out of the water in such a poll, because it is far superior in every way.

Nah he is a firm believer that Deadfire is a lot better than any IE games and all those old games are shit compared to glorious deadfire.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected

No. Baldurs Gate II is worse than Deadfire, but that's a rabbit hole I'm not willing to go down today.

No, it doesn't. The combat system as it is being played is what counts. You can have the most versatile build system in the world, but when you defeat everything by Select All -> Right Click it doesn't add anything. Wide as an ocean, deep as a puddle as they say.

There's a build in Dragon Age: Origins that makes you literally invincible. Some depth, huh?

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
You'll never get into that rabbit hole because it requires mental gymnastics the likes of which the 'Dex has yet to see. And there are a number of builds that make you invincible in DF. Some depth, huh?

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
On the contrary, it requires mental gymnastics to argue that Baldurs Gate II has good combat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom