Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which has better combat? Deadfire or Origins?

Which has better combat?

• Dragon Age: Origins

Votes: 42 46.7%
  • Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire

Votes: 48 53.3%

• Total voters
Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Infinitron. I will prominently link to the 'Dex for 2 weeks if you give Safav Hamon a dumbfuck tag, one month if you give him a shitposter tag in addition, and an entire year if you ban him.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Infinity Engine combat sucked. Baldurs Gate was okay for other reasons, but anyone that believes the combat has aged well is being nolstalgic.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I guess dumbfuck doesn't mean much anymore, since even DarkUnderlord currently has it.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
While searching for the tags i found out an old picture of Safav Hamon ,there is some pretty good shit in the kodex kollection.
9352_500.jpg

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The combat system itself is very simple and even repetitive, it is an illusion in that context. All multiclassing does is add a tremendous power divide between the different builds. The system and encounter design don't work together and they don't play to each other's strengths.

Sounds like all the D&D computer games. :troll:

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Meh. I just don't get the need for the continual balance schtick that gets slapped to his name.
Why not have combinations that don't work effectively or are less conducive to one another? That creates a level of challenge and ensures replay for people who want to try that.
If you make everything equal, then why would I ever want to redo it?

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
It's all about catering to the newbies/casuals.

There can be no gimpage and no glorious optimizations.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
If that's the case then they've seriously overstated their own brand name/market value.

Really, outside of the more dedicated RPG community, nobody gives a flying fuck about them.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
OTOH, there exist the likes of Beamdog that go way too far. What they did to BG and IWD is contemptible.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
An RPG flaunting a great combat system can be forgiven of its sins, no matter how grievous. OTOH, an RPG with a bad combat system, that does everything else right, is unforgiveable; indeed, irrelevant. - Lilura1.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
How is combat in PoE II different than PoE I? I remember I disabled automatic commands in DA:O, and paused and issued commands manually. For me both of them seemed bad.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
How is combat in PoE II different than PoE I? I remember I disabled automatic commands in DA:O, and paused and issued commands manually. For me both of them seemed bad.
  • Health/Endurance - Now just Health
  • When a character gets knocked down in a fight, you gain an injury which causes a lose of 25% of your maximum health until you rest (with food). After your 4th injury in a row without rest, your character will die.
  • All per rest abilities have changed to per encounter
  • Graze has been removed from normal attacks - Only specific attacks will have the ability to graze
  • Stealth has been updated - Enemies now have a front facing vision cone which detects players faster
  • Penetration/Armor - Penetration vs Armor now works in 'break points'
    • Pen < Arm = 30% Dam
    • Pen ≥ Arm = 100% Dam
    • Pen (More than double) Arm = 130% Dam
  • Unique Items - Are now completely unique from each other. They will rarely share any item mods
  • Class Resources - Each class is given a unique resource to use their abilities
  • Rest - No longer needs camping supplies, players will now use food items to recover from injuries
  • Trap detection - Players now detect traps with the stat Perception instead of the skill Mechanics
  • Skill Assist - All party members now add a portion of their skill bonus to checks made
  • Engagement is no longer on each character by default - Now it is only granted through abilities
  • Grimoires - Grant Wizards extra spell casts and Wizards can no longer learn spells from Grimoires
  • Noise - Each spell/attack/etc.. has a noise level attached to it
  • Bumping - While pathing near allies, character now step aside for their teammate to walk by

more or less, I suppose some things may have been changed since the backer beta.

almondblight

Arcane
I am a film critic. Have never seen Coppola or Hitchcock movie but that doesn't invalidate my opinion on other movies.

I mean, "I have never read Thomas Kyd or Ben Jonson but Shakespeare is one of the greatest writers of all time and you're an idiot if you disagree" is the point of view held by about 99% of the people in English speaking countries.

Sentinel

Arcane
I liked PoE2 more mechanically but DA:O combat is a lot easier to follow and cleaner because they had mentally functioning gameplay designers.
So I don't know.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You do need to have watched at least a few good movies if you want to be taken seriously on a forum for movie enthusiasts.
A few good movies, not every single good movie. There is no argument to be bad here.
Infinity Engine combat sucked. Baldurs Gate was okay for other reasons, but anyone that believes the combat has aged well is being nolstalgic.
Nah mate, that's where you're wrong. I can't speak on the quality of PoE2 as I haven't played it yet, but IE combat is great. It's very snappy and fluid, the way the characters respond to your orders. There are a bunch of different strategies you can use when layering buffs on your team, positioning squishes, kiting out enemies, proper potion use, and the amazing satisfaction you get when you just barely win a tough encounter with all your party alive. It's also over pretty quick, and I strongly prefer 2D games, with their animations n' all, over 3D ones. What don't you like about IE?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I wish I played PoE2 already to join this argument, but it must be GREATLY improved over PoE1 if anyone expects me to believe it beats BG2 or makes DA:O not even comparable.

(Psssst: I kind of doubt it.)

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
I wish I played PoE2 already to join this argument, but it must be GREATLY improved over PoE1 if anyone expects me to believe it beats BG2 or makes DA:O not even comparable.

(Psssst: I kind of doubt it.)

It does not beat BG2 for many reasons imo. But it is improved over the first PoE a good bit.
Don't see how DA:O could ever be mentioned in a positive way when it comes to combat stuff though. It's almost the same as the most boring iteration of then-typical MMO combat.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Baldurs Gate combat is worse than Deadfire on every single level. Character creation, level progression, itemization, encounter design, artificial intelligence, visual feedback, animations, ect.

deadfire_ship.gif
deadfire_combat_ravine.gif

imweasel

^
Frustrated Obsidian employee detected.

Feargus must have announced that PoE 3 has been cancelled.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom