Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which Oblivion Dev Lied The Most?

dongle

Scholar
taxacaria said:
'Fear the Walktopus'
walktopus.gif
Did you see the video of the one changing colors? They can change the color of their skin to blend in with their surrounding like a chameleon. Only at like 100 dpi. They have little dots all over the skin, like pores or whatever, and a whole range of colors they can change them to. Each one a different color. In theory they could display a picture on their skin just like on a computer monitor.

Or that one that escapes from a box by squeezing it's whole body through a tiny hole? They out it in this Plexiglas box with a hole in one side, like a tenth of the size of it's body. Thing has this crazy routine of getting out arm by arm.

Creepy fucking things they is. . . .

dongle

Scholar
DarkSign said:
I had to repost it on the ESF thread one mo' 'gin.

Just too good to pass up. Great thread.
You folks realize right after this hit originally they disabled the "search for all posts by this member" function on ESF?

Coincidence?

KreideBein

Scholar
Someone I know on the forums had a PM session with Alexander (a mod there) to try to get that thread reopened, but the answer seems to be "it might go bad, and we don't want to babysit it, so it's staying locked." Too bad, since there was the potential for some good debate there.

Darkflame

Scholar
meh, just post it again tomorrow. I've posted it on TES maybe 10 times now, each time I get banned and the thread closed or deleted before reaching 2-3 pages..

When I compiled that list of quotes, it was a few weeks after release and I originally wanted to check out all of the dev post histories on the forums... and it turned out they had all been deleted! No dev had a single post on their accounts from before release. And this was barely a month afterward... So that's why I had to get them from WaitingforOblivion.com, and I'm sure there were many more dev bullshit posts that were unfortunately not recorded and are now lost. They knew what they were doing.

taxacaria

Scholar
@dark flame
most of the game related quotes have been archieved at waitingforoblivion,
because these guys have collected all of them they found.
I don't think that there are much more - maybe you can find a number of additional quotes in fan interviews - especially in fan interview#3.
If you have some luck you'll find it somewhere on the net.
I was looking for such quotes because I was admin of a TES fan forum and have
collected such things day by day to complete our database.
It's a difficult thing to manage a fan forum after you find out that the game sucks.
So I've de-admined myself when I saw Oblivion. uhoh.

cu

Darkflame

Scholar
taxacaria said:
@dark flame
most of the game related quotes have been archieved at waitingforoblivion,
because these guys have collected all of them they found.
I don't think that there are much more - maybe you can find a number of additional quotes in fan interviews - especially in fan interview #3.
If you have some luck you'll find it somewhere on the net.
I was looking for such quotes because I was admin of a TES fan forum and have
collected such things day by day to complete our database.
It's a difficult thing to manage a fan forum after you find out that the game sucks.
So I've de-admined myself when I saw Oblivion. uhoh.

cu

Well see this is what troubles me... on ESF there is a dominant consensus that the developers nerfed the RAI... that is, RAI used to be something grand, and Bethesda neutered it for whatever reason. And whenever you ask around how this little curtailment came to be publically known, everyone, including the moderators, says "oh, I saw a dev post about it a while back"..." some NPC with a rake killed another for a broom", etc...

I've scanned through the WaitingforOblivion site, and there is NOTHING even remotely suggesting that the RAI was axed... so either WFO does not have all of the dev posts, or ESF forumites are all on the same trip...

taxacaria

Scholar
you're right.
I remember that there were some probs with the RAI - it was too radiant in the beginning.
And I remember that there were some quotes about it.
RAI controlled creatures and NPCs were in a permanent war against each other.
So the devs had to calm down the RAI influence.
afaik that was in 2005 in a thread at ESF.

---edit---
Maybe it was an interview with Pete - and there was a thread about it.
But Pete has spoken about RAI in nearly every interview...

some RAI related things have been reported at PC Gamer january 2006, too

---edit2 ---

found this :

Emil Pagliarulo - Bethesda said:
You know, there's always something unexpected happening in our game. I know there have been rumors that we've somehow "dumbed down" the Radiant AI to prevent the unexpected, but that's simply not true. What we've done is recognized certain NPCs whose behavior was so crazy, it actually broke stuff. The NPCs still perform a whole variety of tasks. They still have 24/7 schedules, and they still eat, sleep, read, cast spells, go swimming, have target practice, hunt deer, ride horses and so much more.

see interview at irish scrolls with Emil Pagliarulo >>click<<

taxacaria

Scholar
OccupatedVoid said:
What kind of AI would want to stare at a wall for 12+ game hours? ;)

That's the RAI with the 24/7-wall-stare-schedule. :D
Must be one of the certain NPCs whose behavior was too crazy, so he's 'recognized' by Emil P.

Lord Chambers

Erudite
Really, I think this kind of effort, like collecting quotes and presenting them without much interpretation on the Oblivion boards, is the best contribution to the world the Codex can make. Of course, a Codex sympathizer would need to follow up with some context and insight after a fan/blinded soul attempts a rebuttal, but leaving the indignation, nostalgia of old games, and insults out makes it more poignant to non-Codexers. If you're trying to persuade people, especially ones already convinced of something different, you cannot allow them to write you off. Presenting quotes as-is is one way to inhibit thier ability to do so.

So kudos...and this reply probably has more to do with the new Codex/NMA/Duck & Cover Fallout 3 site than this thread.

Texas Red

Whiner
Which *reviewer* lied the most?

Gamespot idiot said:
What's overwhelming about Oblivion is how good it is and how much there is to it. Literally almost everything that's ever been done well before in past role-playing games is in here--done at least as well, if not better.

(Taken from the official Gamespot "review".)

I challenge you to post a biger, meaner, even more bribed lie from a reviewer!

piydek

Cipher
Lord Chambers said:
Really, I think this kind of effort, like collecting quotes and presenting them without much interpretation on the Oblivion boards, is the best contribution to the world the Codex can make. Of course, a Codex sympathizer would need to follow up with some context and insight after a fan/blinded soul attempts a rebuttal, but leaving the indignation, nostalgia of old games, and insults out makes it more poignant to non-Codexers. If you're trying to persuade people, especially ones already convinced of something different, you cannot allow them to write you off. Presenting quotes as-is is one way to inhibit thier ability to do so.

So kudos...and this reply probably has more to do with the new Codex/NMA/Duck & Cover Fallout 3 site than this thread.

well, i agree that this method is the best for that purpose.

but did you see the replies to that latest thread with these quotes at the ESF?

it clearly showed that the average elder scrolls fan today, and i assume it's representative of the entire "gaming" public today, lacks even the most basic possibilities for thinking, interpretation and will for knowledge. it is just amazing how utterly unable to think those people are. and at the same time, which is connected to that inability to think, they are prejudiced to the extreme in their feeling of their own enlightment.

trying to make these kids understand certain things would implicate the job that's not being done by the entire western educational systems these days. people in general seem to get more retarded every year.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
The Walkin' Dude said:
Which *reviewer* lied the most?

Gamespot idiot said:
What's overwhelming about Oblivion is how good it is and how much there is to it. Literally almost everything that's ever been done well before in past role-playing games is in here--done at least as well, if not better.

(Taken from the official Gamespot "review".)

I challenge you to post a biger, meaner, even more bribed lie from a reviewer!

That quote is even more ridiculous considering GameSpot's first "Watch us play a game" service debutted with that reviewer playing Oblivion. I got to watch him play it, and there were several times where he encountered something that botched up with the AI and commented about it. Not to mention him beating a cave full of bad guys by pulling them out one at a time. The ones mostly beaten ran away to the back of the cave so all he had to do was walk in there and kill them while they were humping the back wall instead of turning and fighting.

Yeah, AI's never been done better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom