Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Which part of the Gothic series is the best? (Poll)

The beste Gothic game is...

• Total voters

:Flash:

Arcane
i played this for like a minute before, well, the controls.

any cure for that shit?
Disable mouse and play it as it was meant to be played: Keyboard only.

Murk

Arcane

any cure for that shit?

yeah, growing a pair

edit: i am happy that this thread turned into bros coming out of the woodwork to share gothic stories. I love you all.

G2 is best G, but I remember spending a metric fuckload of time legitimately getting lost and loving every second of gothic 3's gameworld.

The first time I got to nordmar the time cycle had gone to night, and I stumbled in from some random ass corner near the forest with the one rebel camp that's spread out (north of silden). The first feeling of the music changing, the atmospheric sounds of wind picking up, the awesome lighting of moonlight on all the snow and it all just was so good.

That aspect of wanderlust was truly the most powerful I've experienced in a game, and despite its ginormous size, the devs still managed to put something interesting or worth looting at the end of all the nooks, crannies, crags, and pits you come across.

If someone could somehow port g3 into the risen 1 engine, (or even g2) my oh my...

Last edited:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Night of the Raven is fantastic. Nothing quite like the formula it uses when it comes ARPGs, even legitimately great ones.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Night of the Raven is fantastic. Nothing quite like the formula it uses when it comes ARPGs, even legitimately great ones.
Except for ruining early game by making all weapons require ten billion strength so one wrong training and you're stuck with a piece of shit, and also straight up handing you a roflop water circle armor after you worked hard to get your militia/merc one.

sullynathan

Arcane

any cure for that shit?
Nah, the controls just suck in gothic 1 & 2 and so does the combat. It plays like it was meant for a controller. Ironic that gothic 3 was a worse game than both yet it controlled far better.

Not sure what's with European rpg's and poor controls and combat.

sullynathan

Arcane
My ovaries are itching again.
Bad combat? In comparison to what game of the same genre?
NO YOU CAN'T COMPARE IT WHIT DARK SOULS!
Dark souls
:troll:

But seriously, the combat is pretty poor in all three gothic games I played. It's always been very stiff and rudimentary even after you has mastered a weapon style.

In gothic 1 & 2, you could only attack one enemy at a time and it was dumb that your weapons couldn't hit multiple enemies.
Then you had the fact that piranha Bytes forgot that a mouse existed for gothic 1.
Gothic 1 had that annoying control scheme that made piranha Bytes turn something simple into something annoying. Three buttons to just loot.

Let's not even get to how slow the attack animations for gothic 3 was. The soft-lock on was atrocious and made it really easy to either hit other enemies or to keep trying to attack someone that you didn't try to.

It always goes back to how it seems the combat for this game series was not meant for m+kb, it would have probably worked better if it was made purely for the controller like DS. Controllers tend to work better for these third person action types, CDPR learned this with Witcher 2 & 3.

Mozg

Arcane
Reiterating my old weird opinion that NotR doesn't really help Gothic 2 per se. It's just more Gothic 2 with the natural pacing, faction variety, and plot messed up a fair amount by a big chunk of good shaggy dog expansion content in the early midgame that isn't particularly superior to vanilla on a per-minute basis.

Unless mods that are only available for NotR make it a much better experience at this point I'd recommend vanilla to people that haven't played before.

Murk

Arcane
Reiterating my old weird opinion that NotR doesn't really help Gothic 2 per se. It's just more Gothic 2 with the natural pacing, faction variety, and plot messed up a fair amount by a big chunk of shaggy dog expansion content in the early midgame.

Unless mods that are only available for NotR make it a much better experience at this point I'd recommend vanilla to people that haven't played before.

Wait, you think the faction variety is messed up with the add-on as well?

Excidium II I don't quite get the complaints about needing 1341234 str for an early weapon, since you're literally given the best one-handed weapon you can use right at the start (wolf knife from cavalorn) and with modest dex you can use the significantly tier-jumped dex based weapons (20 for sword, 50 for rapier, 60 for master, etc.)

For two handed weapons the staves are all simple enough to use as well, and will outperform any basic 2h sword/axe of their atk value level.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Having said that, I don't quite get the complaints about needing 1341234 str for an early weapon, since you're literally given the best one-handed weapon you can use right at the start (wolf knife from cavalorn) and with modest dex you can use the significantly tier-jumped dex based weapons (20 for sword, 50 for rapier, 60 for master, etc.)
Fuck dex and fuck knives.

And fuck staves.

Murk

Arcane
No u.

Then use like the 5-6 weapons that only require 10-15 str (milita/rough short sword, spiked club, small scythe, axe, smith's hammer, etc.)

Doktor Best

Arcane
is it better to play G2 once before installing NotR? the game is like 100 hours right? I probably won't end up playing it twice but w/e

Oh you will. I replay Gothic 1+2 every 1 or 2 years. Its the only game series that makes me do this, its THAT good.

My Vote goes to Gothic2 NOTR. Gothic 1 comes really really close and is also a perfect game to me, but the second installment is just a little better.

Doktor Best

Arcane

any cure for that shit?

Youll get used to it and then its not that bad. Also, installing the fix that unlocks the 20 fps framelock and editing the mousespeed in ini datas helps ALOT.

I think the fix is called gothic systempack.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Seriously if you played all those 1995-2005 action adventures on PC I dunno what problems you have with Gothic controls.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
It's really awkward with a controller. Geralt always attacks in the direction of the target centered on screen so it requires constant camera control, except your thumbs are also busy dodging and attacking.

The interface also despite how it might look, controls a lot better with KBM.

Aenra

Edgelords..edgelords never change.

Most votes? Predictably on NotR.. which added what?
- A number of game breaking issues since it's super easy to break quest progression (even if you make logical decisions) unless you follow a very specific quest sequence. If not, why, you can always start over...
- A mini 'end game' that a) offered underpowered as a one-hander/useless as a two hander (final boss is immune to it) weapon or useless extra skill rewards (in the case of runes) that offered nothing other than bloating your already overly rich skills list. Bloating because other than flavour? Nicht.
Ah, but those weren't "it", were they..nooo, it was the hardzorzzzz!!!1111 AKSHUUUUN momafuckah, now it waz like, hard and shitz like, init bro! Only ub3r playerz!

Cause that's what an RPG should be aaaall about. AKSHUN-intense hardzorz combat and side-stepping twitchy arcadey elements. Yeap. I know there are some morons around that would claim otherwise, but heed them not, whoever said character skills -//- actual player skills was out of their mind. Bro.

As i find me fond of saying.. Codex 101

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Gothic 3 may be terrible in some ways but it has:

Gothic 3 was actually the first Gothic I played; I think the fact that I continued playing despite the 10 minute long load times, the combat that basically devolved into "whoever struck first wins because the other person gets stun locked", speaks to the fact that there was definitely something to the game. Like Marie said, the exploration was very fun, and unlike the elder scrolls game every location in Gothic 3 seemed, similar to the first and second game, hand crafted and unique.

I haven't finished Gothic 2 NotR but off the bat I prefer Gothic 1, simply because of the setting and plot structure. Gothic 2 definitely feels like more of a generic fantasy setting, whereas I have never played a game that had a similar atmosphere and environment to Gothic 1.

It may also sound odd but I really liked how brutally you were treated in Gothic 1; you are a new arrival in a prison and naturally most people treat you like scum and try to take advantage of you (I remember how pissed off I got when the one dude leads you outside, saying he wants to show you something, and steals all of your stuff). It is a great contrast to most games of the RPG ilk that treat your character like the divine chosen one from the outset (elf: hey i need four elder flowers for my elixir bring them to me and i'll make you head of the thieves guild you've earned it).

Also it has one of the greatest quests in any RPG: selling weed to the various camps.

Good taste detected.

yeah, growing a pair

edit: i am happy that this thread turned into bros coming out of the woodwork to share gothic stories. I love you all.

G2 is best G, but I remember spending a metric fuckload of time legitimately getting lost and loving every second of gothic 3's gameworld.

The first time I got to nordmar the time cycle had gone to night, and I stumbled in from some random ass corner near the forest with the one rebel camp that's spread out (north of silden). The first feeling of the music changing, the atmospheric sounds of wind picking up, the awesome lighting of moonlight on all the snow and it all just was so good.
Yes indeed, the golden olden times...

I remember going to that scary Ork-cave (in the first Gothic) halfway between the Old Camp and the Swamp Camp right across the river. It was maybe connected to some endgame mainquest I think.
Not only was it night time ingame when I entered, it was also nicht in rl. So I entered that incredibly scary cave, fought frightening hard monsters 'n shit (I think maybe some demons or... idk, I just remember it were big scary enemies. ^^) and wandered deeper into the dark.
Then after a fight I looked around, then paused. Stood there and thought about what to do next. Silence ingame and in my room. And suddenly I see a glimpse of something in the croner, moving, and making some weird noise.
JESUS FUCKING CHRIST was I shocked! I really flinched so hard.
In an instant I ran away, totally in shock, preparing to fight, then turned around ready to throw a fireball or something, ... - and realize what was behind me was just what's left of the skeleton army I myself summoned in the fight before.
:codexisfor:

sullynathan

Arcane
It's really awkward with a controller. Geralt always attacks in the direction of the target centered on screen so it requires constant camera control, except your thumbs are also busy dodging and attacking.

The interface also despite how it might look, controls a lot better with KBM.

Maybe it's just you. I played Witcher 2 with both controller and kb+m, the game was made for the former and so was the UI.

Edgelords..edgelords never change.

Most votes? Predictably on NotR.. which added what?
- A number of game breaking issues since it's super easy to break quest progression (even if you make logical decisions) unless you follow a very specific quest sequence. If not, why, you can always start over...
- A mini 'end game' that a) offered underpowered as a one-hander/useless as a two hander (final boss is immune to it) weapon or useless extra skill rewards (in the case of runes) that offered nothing other than bloating your already overly rich skills list. Bloating because other than flavour? Nicht.
Ah, but those weren't "it", were they..nooo, it was the hardzorzzzz!!!1111 AKSHUUUUN momafuckah, now it waz like, hard and shitz like, init bro! Only ub3r playerz!

Cause that's what an RPG should be aaaall about. AKSHUN-intense hardzorz combat and side-stepping twitchy arcadey elements. Yeap. I know there are some morons around that would claim otherwise, but heed them not, whoever said character skills -//- actual player skills was out of their mind. Bro.

As i find me fond of saying.. Codex 101
The sword from NOTR was op if anything because of its huge extra damage that was unblockable.
The final boss was also not immune to it, it was probably the most useful way to beat the final boss with a melee character.

Where could you break the quest structure?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
G2 NOTR is the better game but I personally prefer the first one.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Maybe it's just you. I played Witcher 2 with both controller and kb+m, the game was made for the former and so was the UI.
I'm talking about Twitcher 3. Combat is p. different from 2.

And the UI is much, much better with KBM, one key press opens any screens, item tooltips on mouse over without needing to navigate one by one and wait for stupid delay for stats to show up at the bottom.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom