Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which programming language did you choose and why?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Think it needs two or three kinects to work fine.

cheapo solution:

20 Eyes

Liturgist
Isn't asset creation going to be hard anyway?
That's the one thing that keeps me from tinkering more with making a game. How do I make it look good? How do I learn to make (pixel) art or draw monster portraits or sprites? I have zero artistic inclination.

If you build it, they (artists) will come. You can build an impressive game using only simple art as placeholders until you get a real artist on board. It's actually a fairly common practice from what I've seen. I can't draw for shit, but this is a screenshot as an example from an XNA experiment/trial I was working on. It'd be very simple to replace the silly smiley face portrait with one from a real artist (or if I had to, one done by me with more effort put into it).

dsI6c.png

If you have a project that is serious and already has significant work put into it, I doubt you'd have a hard time finding an artist to help beautify your game. Whether your game is commercial or not, I'm sure you'd be able to reach an agreement with somebody.

But if you wanted to do a KotC-like game, I don't think simple sprites are that hard to make. In the above picture, the one on the right was one of the first I ever made. The one on the left needs a color and shading adjustment, but I don't think it's eye-gouging bad. At least, not for a mostly one-man project type thing like KotC or a roguelike. I find the more you do it, the better they look and the faster you can churn them out. I've been working on my programming skills and have kinda been neglecting my spriting, but I'd be comfortable making most of the art for the first game I release (if that day ever comes).

tiagocc0

Arcane
Yep, there are plenty artist out there who needs a good project to show their skillz.
Just don't expect them to do everything for free, the project then will be as much as theirs as it's yours.

J1M

Arcane
Find a starving artist. Pay them a third for 50% completion, 100% completion, and the last third when the game ships so they stick around to make minor tweaks, etc.

J1M

Arcane
These days the question should be, Which game engine did you choose and why?

Pretty much this.

Also, for the kind of games codexers want you really need either C++ or else Java or C# WITH the whole API or forget it.

If you want to make FPS scripting garbage is fine. If you want to make 2D game language doesn't matter much, but you are trading an easier time programming for much much harder asset creation so if you don't have dedicated 2D art guys forget it.
None of this made any sense. You could write Deus Ex with UnrealScript, or an old-school blob dungeon fest in any language.

DakaSha

Arcane
These days the question should be, Which game engine did you choose and why?

Pretty much this.

Also, for the kind of games codexers want you really need either C++ or else Java or C# WITH the whole API or forget it.

If you want to make FPS scripting garbage is fine. If you want to make 2D game language doesn't matter much, but you are trading an easier time programming for much much harder asset creation so if you don't have dedicated 2D art guys forget it.

looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

Destroid

Arcane
Isn't asset creation going to be hard anyway?
That's the one thing that keeps me from tinkering more with making a game. How do I make it look good? How do I learn to make (pixel) art or draw monster portraits or sprites? I have zero artistic inclination.

You make a game with a tile engine using ascii characters.

DakaSha

Arcane
I'll tell you what I told shihonage. I'll check back in a decade and see how you're doing. He quit a couple weeks after that so not holding my breath.
loooooooooooooooooooooooool

DakaSha

Arcane
I'm betting the excuse will be "I got busy with real life because I am such a cool guy" in your case but it usually turns out to be something even funnier than I expected.

What are you even talking about dipshit? I don't even work on serious projects. all i program is conceptual shit and game problem solutions.
What does this even have to do with your original post. I'm laughing because it's so obvious you have no idea what you are talking about. Not because of some bullshit about finishing projects

edit: i just realized you are the guy who said you have to believe in some kind of higher power or it is impossible to not bow down to everything. Lol and i was expecting something that makes sense from you.. sigh.. another one added to ignore list

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I'll tell you what I told shihonage. I'll check back in a decade and see how you're doing. He quit a couple weeks after that so not holding my breath.

Someone really values the transformative power of his words :lol:

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Why don't all you smart guys get together and do an open source cRPG turn based engine?
Aren't there several of them in making, some of them ready? The main problem now isn't the engine. The main problem is scripting the whole fucking game and making all the fucking assets.

2D art is a pain. 3D art is a lot easier, and anyone who takes the time to learn 3D tools can get some decent results if not fantastic.

More importantly, you can easily edit 3D art. So if some pieces are terrible you can get someone else to redo them and reimport them, or just retexture them. And get someone good with lighting to go over your levels.

You can also buy some outright from various places. If it's 2D you really need to be pretty good to start with or don't waste your time.
Actually, making 2D assets is banal and very fast as long as you remember that you aren't a pro artist and keep them simple.

J1M

Arcane
Why don't all you smart guys get together and do an open source cRPG turn based engine?
Aren't there several of them in making, some of them ready? The main problem now isn't the engine. The main problem is scripting the whole fucking game and making all the fucking assets.

2D art is a pain. 3D art is a lot easier, and anyone who takes the time to learn 3D tools can get some decent results if not fantastic.

More importantly, you can easily edit 3D art. So if some pieces are terrible you can get someone else to redo them and reimport them, or just retexture them. And get someone good with lighting to go over your levels.

You can also buy some outright from various places. If it's 2D you really need to be pretty good to start with or don't waste your time.
Actually, making 2D assets is banal and very fast as long as you remember that you aren't a pro artist and keep them simple.
True but there's different levels.

If you are OK with wasteland 1 style graphics and your potential fans are you can pull it off.

If you want quality similar to what you see in fallout 1 you will be doing a ton of work or paying people a lot to do it for you.

Basically the main work for 3D game is the programming. Work for 2D game is more the artwork, and you should choose which to do based on that. For both tools and GUI are a pain, but for 2D you will have an easier time because you don't get limited in your choices for GUI APIs.

If you are programmer only and choose 2D you will wind up in shihonage situation. If you are artist only you don't have any chance to make a 3D game. You can get teammates but you can't necessarily rely on them.
I wonder if this was written randomly by a machine. But when it is again almost entirely wrong I have to believe it is just a person. :(

J1M

Arcane
I'm sure lots of people know more than me, especially about things I haven't spent time learning.

That set of people is entirely distinct from yourself.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
True but there's different levels.

If you are OK with wasteland 1 style graphics and your potential fans are you can pull it off.
I don't think Wasteland 1 style is a good example here. It had ugly map graphics and pro-level character/critter portraits.

If you want quality similar to what you see in fallout 1 you will be doing a ton of work or paying people a lot to do it for you.

(...)

If you are programmer only and choose 2D you will wind up in shihonage situation.
Fallout 1 had 3D graphics that were converted to 2D and then touched up. Anyone making new critter graphics for Fallout games starts out by making a 3D model. I wouldn't be surprised if the same was with tiles.

tiagocc0

Arcane

(...)

If you are programmer only and choose 2D you will wind up in shihonage situation.
Fallout 1 had 3D graphics that were converted to 2D and then touched up. Anyone making new critter graphics for Fallout games starts out by making a 3D model. I wouldn't be surprised if the same was with tiles.

touché

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I'm sure lots of people know more than me, especially about things I haven't spent time learning.

Highly doubtful but if you know more, enlighten us. All you say is no you're wrong. Your participation is therefore pointless, and like DakaSha makes me think "Oh, another retard in his 20s who thinks dabbling in programming means he's an expert. Oh well."

This isn't GD. Keep your shit there. If you have something to discuss fine. If not, it will go to retardo.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
So what's the point here? Is it easier to just make a 3D model or to make a 3D model and then make sprites, and to have to change all sprites and all tiles any time you change one thing. The point is each piece is separate. More than that, you can just let the animations do their thing.
What do you mean having to change all the sprites and all tiles?

Marsal

Arcane

Highly doubtful but if you know more, enlighten us. All you say is no you're wrong. Your participation is therefore pointless, and like DakaSha makes me think "Oh, another retard in his 20s who thinks dabbling in programming means he's an expert. Oh well."

This isn't GD. Keep your shit there. If you have something to discuss fine. If not, it will go to retardo.
Are you serious? Did you read previous posts in the thread? You may not agree with Drocon, but to warn him for responding to attacks is baffling.

So what's the point here? Is it easier to just make a 3D model or to make a 3D model and then make sprites, and to have to change all sprites and all tiles any time you change one thing. The point is each piece is separate. More than that, you can just let the animations do their thing.
What do you mean having to change all the sprites and all tiles?
If you make changes to the model, you have to export 2D files again.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Are you serious? Did you read previous posts in the thread? You may not agree with Drocon, but to warn him for responding to attacks is baffling.

His shitty alts say the same shit over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over etc.

It's not rocket science. Just FYI.

This is a forum for discussion, not GD trying to provoke people. Having a discussion is great. Doing LOL YOU AN IDIOT I AM WORLD MOST SMART PERSON EVER is not.

Marsal

Arcane
His shitty alts say the same shit over and over and... and over etc.

It's not rocket science. Just FYI.

This is a forum for discussion, not GD trying to provoke people. Having a discussion is great. Doing LOL YOU AN IDIOT I AM WORLD MOST SMART PERSON EVER is not.
I don't know whose alt he is or what he does in other threads, but he has been quite reasonable in this thread, IMO. He really likes his 3D engines I guess.

A wise man once said: "This isn't GD. Keep your shit there. If you have something to discuss fine." Now, tell us what programming language do you like/use, post some WH40K pics like good moderators do or GTFO.

If you make changes to the model, you have to export 2D files again.
But only the ones for the model, not all sprites and all tiles.
I don't even... Yes, only the ones for the model that was changed. His point was that it's an extra step in the pipeline that can be avoided.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I don't know whose alt he is or what he does in other threads, but he has been quite reasonable in this thread, IMO.

His posts may look coherent at a glance, but he randomly forgoes logic and jumps into wild tangents.

For instance:

Easier said than done. You are going to be talking about years of work if it's a 2D game. Look at shihonage and how it worked out for him.

He correlated the fact that for a long time I didn't have a 2D artist, with the amount of time it's been taking to program Shelter. That is, of course, nonsense.

Earlier he implied that I both quit working on Shelter and that it had something to do with his alt shitting in my thread. Neither of which is true.

Then he goes on to make more bizarre claims, and randomly lash out at people.

"Quite reasonable"? I am a frayed knot.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You know, this was an useful thread at some point. And then shit happened.

Drocon, you only say that this and that is shit. What isn't shit? Which tools do you use? If 3D is easy, could you please enlighten us (and me in particular) to the tools you are using? Any good tutorials? Could you please share your experience using different engines?

Or maybe you are just spouting shit about stuff you have no idea about just to troll people and pollute useful threads?

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
You know, this was an useful thread at some point. And then shit happened.

"What did you expect?" :NicoleKidman:

Side-discussion, what libs I recommend for a small to intermediate engine in C++:
* SDL for 2D : it is very very easy to use, much easier than doing portable 2D with Direct3D or OpenGL for a beginner, and a good first step to building an engine, a tile editor or whatever. You can even build on it and do OpenGL inside while retaining the portable event management
* fmod : great and efficient sound library, when SDL_Sound is not enough
* pcre : regexes done efficiently and slim for your generation pipeline, you often end up writing lots of rule depending on paths
* sqlite3 : simple database for your asset pipeline, for a cache or whatever
* freetype : portably generating multi resolution beautiful antialiased glyphs is always useful
* A tiny bit of boost but not too much: boost/typeof is great for having a portable typeof, it really helps to get your code smaller

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom