Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Which Sherlock Holmes games are worth a play?

Discussion in 'Adventure Gaming' started by v1rus, Jan 28, 2018.

1. v1rus Arcane

v1rus
    Well, the title says all.

^ Top  
  2. circ Arcane

circ
    well, the one from Infocom.

There's also one called Scarlett something? It was a graphical adventure circa... same time as early-mid Sierra games.

edit: nevermind about Scarlett. Infocom one is Riddle of the Crown Jewels and I had it confused with something else that might not even be Sherlock. And I'm not sure anymore how good it is.

I remembered everything wrong. But eh, I don't think Lost files of Sherlock Holmes were probably that bad. Although they do have FMV which I can't imagine liking at the time.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Zed Codex Staff Patron

Zed
    Codex USB, 2014
    Awakening and vs. Jack the Ripper are both great.
    Jack the Ripper is the best one. Walking around in a foggy whitehall is molto bene.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    None of the Frogwares Sherlock games is very good or well-designed. But the only one you need to actively avoid is the first one, Mystery of the Mummy, which is a shovelware Myst clone.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Zed Codex Staff Patron

Zed
    Codex USB, 2014
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. opium fiend Augur

opium fiend
    What's the opinion on Case of Rose Tattoo? I had it in my collection 15 years ago and I remember the Victorian London being gorgeously presented, not much about the story or puzzles.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. v1rus Arcane

v1rus
    I remember reading on Codex that Crime and punishment is pretty gewd. Not much truth in that, eh?

^ Top  
  8. Sceptic Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Sceptic
    Divinity: Original Sin
    I never played that one, Serrated Scalpel is a traditional P&C adventure but a pretty good one. I have quite fond memories of it.

There's the three Consulting Detective games, they're FMV not-very-Interactive Movie types. I know I've played all three but I have fuzzy memories of them. Some of the cases are better than others, none as good as original Doyle's. There's a certain cheese factor that makes the videos quite fun to watch though.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Abu Antar Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I think Crime & Punishment's deductions are well made. I liked that aspect of the game. There's not much worthwhile exploration, but I would't compare it to TT games. If you point out the wrong person, it isn't a game over. You have to live with your decision. Voice acting is great and most cases are fun to solve.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Jasede Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Jasede
    Personally, I liked "The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes", an MS DOS adventure series (?).
    Specifically, "The Case of the Serrated Scalpel"

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. SCO Arcane In My Safe Space

SCO
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Case of the Rose tattoo is a direct sequel to the serrated scalpel. It's slightly inferior, but quite similar in the way that it's easy to get stuck (the world opens a lot of zones in both and never closes them). It's easy to get confused where you're 'supposed' to be when 3 or 4 areas open at once and it's not necessarily obvious you have the right items to succeed only on one area. There are no dead ends in both that i can recall though.

Compared with a game like for example, qfg, that has multiple areas but also multiple solutions and easy puzzles, it's understandable the new games went full railroad, both because the average audience is dumber and has less patience and this subgenre is more difficult to 'solve' because of the story they're trying to tell is about the 'genius' detective.

There was also a infocom text game i never played but i heard is vaguely part of the series.

If you're bored about sherlock, you can try 'murders in venice' and 'murders in space'. You need a good scan of the manual and some other things that came in the box for these ones though (murders in space had 'feelies' to solve puzzles ('the case') and copy protection)-

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Vaarna_Aarne Notorious Internet Vandal Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Aside from the need to behead you due to being an infidel, I would say that Silver Earring isn't really worth the effort and Persian Carpet is just shovelware as well.

To me Awakening is still the one closest to heart, in large part due to the fact it's still probably the most authentic adaptation of Lovecraft in gaming while also never straying from Holmes' more scientific reality. Jack the Ripper is the second-best one no doubt, even if I've never been able to enjoy it as fully as I might if I didn't have this mental lock that forces me to compare any Ripper fiction with From Hell, a comparison that is always monumentally unfair and disparaging to those cast under From Hell's shadow. Though I suppose the constraints of historical timeline also kind of take away from twists and turns that could be had.

In regards to the two latest ones, in a way I think it's kind of a bummer that they focus on multiple individual (generally fun) cases instead of a single big case. Devil's Daughter goes a little too far with endlessly long QTEs tho (though to be fair they are at least not the sort of clunky affair as the chase in Awakened). The globe-trotting adventure in Awakening is quite nice.

It does add a little extra thinking too which I found stimulating, albeit I did find that the way DD allows you to miss clues to somewhat reduce the soothing stress-relieving nature of the games prior to that (aforementioned really long QTE sections didn't help there either).

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Abu Antar Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I never bought Devil's Daughter. Denuvo was the first thing that put me off. Then I read impressions, and it sounded like it was a game that I wouldn't really enjoy. I hate QTEs with a passion. Looked up some videos and what I saw also didn't grab me. I even got it in a Bundle but sold the key.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. ghostdog Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
    The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes: Case of the Serrated Scalpel and Case of the Rose Tattoo, (DOS) were pretty good.

I didn't like any of the Frogware games I've tried.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Gord Arcane

Gord
    I 2nd "Awakening" and "vs Jack the Ripper", although I prefer the latter.
    Jack the Ripper has great atmosphere (not that it's bad in Awakening, mind), Awakening had a few annoying pixel hunting sequences which dragged it down for me.
    OTOH the general puzzle difficulty is higher in Awakening.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. bddevil Novice

bddevil
    Case of the serrated scalpel is really, really good. If you're a sherlock holmes fan and like adventures, it's an absolute must play. Aside from somewhat annoying darts mini game, it's pure non-linear adventure game goodness.

Case of the rose tattoo is much weaker in comparison and much more linear. It was also made in those days when they were just experimenting with motion capture so animations often are super funky and hilarious (but honestly, who cares ? lol)
    Still a must play if you a sherlock holmes fan.

Frogwares SH games are love/hate and very hit or miss. Out of the latest offerings, Crime and Punishment was actually enjoyable, but too much handholding ruined it (imo). Devil's Daughter is pure popamole 'cinematic experience' garbage and the Testament lacked identity, ending up in a pretty forgettable game that caters neither to puzzle lovers nor mainstream. And that story devolved into nonsensical shit pretty quickly.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Boleskine Arcane

Boleskine
    https://www.filfre.net/2018/10/the-lost-files-of-sherlock-holmes/

• incline incline x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)