Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which specific changes to BG2 would you make for (an imaginary) BG3 ?

Alkarl

Learned
The Bhaalspawn saga is concluded. Why not take us back to the Moonsea region? All sorts of interesting shit over there. Or Cormyr. Or West Gate. Or Rasheman. Or Thay.

Oh, right, it's Beamdog. The same fuckers who produced an interlude to a nearly 20 year old series. It's hilarious when you consider there is more original player-created content for Neverwinter, a 5e(?) MMO, than what Beamdog shits out.

Hey, Lilura when are you going to finish your Baldur's Gate Retrospective?

Theldaran

Liturgist
I thought that Neverwinter Online didn't use proper D&D rules (any version), but popamolised MMO ones, please prove me wrong.

As for Beamdog, it's a tiny drop in the ocean that has managed to actively anger a lot of its potential fans. It isn't looking good for them. I mean, it says on Steam that even NWN:EE content has been made by external studios, then published by Beamdog.

Politics in vidyagames is a dangerous double-edged weapon. You attract bigots, but lose the people with half a brain.

Alkarl

Learned
I thought that Neverwinter Online didn't use proper D&D rules (any version), but popamolised MMO ones, please prove me wrong.

Hell if I know, I never played anything passed 3e/variants.

As for Beamdog, it's a tiny drop in the ocean that has managed to actively anger a lot of its potential fans.

I don't understand. They made big waves by regurgitating other companies products, bile and all. I'm not sure there were ever any potential fans, unless we're talking about the casual market. Now you can play an unbalanced, casualized version of a beloved pc classic, on your mobile, while you're on the lou. As for pc, they all but removed the original product from the market, requiring you to purchase a copy of their garbage before you can purchase the original game.

As for bigotry, you can find these types in all crowds. The biggest gripe anyone should have with Dragonspear is how pointless it was. From what I hear (and have read), there is actually a decent breadth of content in this game. They easily could have made this game a third chapter, with a new pc, that gets caught up in adventures with the Bhaalspawns former companions. At least in this context, the aging VA's would have made sense. But that would have taken more than half a spark of imagination and more than half a brain.

laclongquan

Arcane
1. An actual, working, tight, economy for the game.

Like arrow/bolt/bullet cost. Should be more than 1gp/20 ala BG system. Sheeit!

Let's see a tight economy that make people consider their weapon choice really carefully. That if a player choose one type of weapons, others can think: this mofo either cheat, or a hell of a rich trader who can throw gold plated arrow like there's no tomorrow.

Example: Silent Storm Sentinels and Hammer & Sickle.

2. An actual, working, tight, endurance system for the game.

And once endurance run out, it need master repairer fix it with reducing endurance meter. Until its' at 1/1 . Diablo series did it successfully so I think it's a good method that add immershun and emotions to a gaming session.

Example: Diablo series, Prince of Qin

frajaq

Erudite
1. An actual, working, tight, economy for the game.

Like arrow/bolt/bullet cost. Should be more than 1gp/20 ala BG system. Sheeit!

Let's see a tight economy that make people consider their weapon choice really carefully. That if a player choose one type of weapons, others can think: this mofo either cheat, or a hell of a rich trader who can throw gold plated arrow like there's no tomorrow.

Example: Silent Storm Sentinels and Hammer & Sickle.

Unless a theoretical Baldur's Gate 3 turns into full tactical combat focus, then no, because this shit sounds annoying as fuck

CRPG Fanatic 101

Literate
I'd like to rephrase my original question in 2 different ways :

Which are the worst things about BG2 ? Which 2-3 things do you think BG2 would have better off without ?

(examples : opening dungeon way too long, d&d ruleset is too rigid, shallow and arbitrary, too many dream cutscenes, the pathfinding is broken, etc)

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
I think it should be more DND, not less. Something like Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession but with DND rules of combat (combat in R:SP are fucking horrible). I'd say less drama/romance too.

laclongquan

Arcane
BG2's opening dungeon is a bit too long, yeah. In actuality, any game's opening dungeon should not exceed 10 minutes for the fastest run, just so people can skip it if they want. Take Fallout2's Temple of Trial as an example.

Of course, if you take your time, no more than 1 hour. And I mean, really take your time. Smell the flower, or something~

frajaq

Erudite
every RPG start ever should be similar to Fallout New Vegas, anything else takes too long

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
BG2's opening dungeon is a bit too long, yeah. In actuality, any game's opening dungeon should not exceed 10 minutes for the fastest run, just so people can skip it if they want. Take Fallout2's Temple of Trial as an example.

From memory, ToT can be done in 5 and Chataeu Irenicus in 10 (by employing haste and invisibility). It is BG's prologue which is almost perfect. 30 secs with 2 quick talks (Imoen, Gorion), and then you're out into the wilds.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Make the story and espacially the protagonist less boring, honestly does anyone actually care about the Bhallspawn.

Taurist

Scholar
I'd have it all be like Chapter 2 of BG2 and with a big open map like in BG1. I think making the game turn based would make it a better game, but no longer Baldur's Gate.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
I think it should be more DND, not less. Something like Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession but with DND rules of combat (combat in R:SP are fucking horrible). I'd say less drama/romance too.
Just to clarify what I meant by more DND:
- Better turn-based
- More resource management
- Skills and a use for them (not just thief doing trap, which was a hassle mostly anyway)
- Better individuation of characters and the way you can interact with the world. I personally liked the Child of Bhaal thing, and I'm a fan of BG, but it would be nice to have something a little more "generic", like the above example of Ravenloft. You are still "someone", but not as defined so you can define it yourself.

Last edited:

PorkBarrellGuy

1) make it turn based
2) get rid of romances
these

and 3) instead of being the bhaalspawn how about being someone who is hunting the bhaalspawn or anything but being locked into being the fucking child of bhaal with all that entails

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't know what the fascination with turn based combat is. A lot of what needs to be fixed with BG was already touched upon in this thread; I.E, fix the economy, improve dialogue options so that there are wildly different outcomes, AI etc. Make the exact same game with a completely new story and setting, and it'll be amazing.

As a side note, people on this forum seem to be really biased against EE releases for some reason, and I can understand a bit of that if you were around when these games first came out. I'll be frank however, I would have never gotten into these games without the EE's. The original UI's and blurry graphics were such a barrier that needs to be fixed without mods.

laclongquan

Arcane
"I would have never gotten into these games without the EE's" meaning you are just a sucker for media hype. Nothing wrong with that per se, but you need to know yourself.

Another thing you need to know yourself for is being a shallow youth who dont know shit. Again, nothing wrong with that UNLESS you go around flaunting that.

Graphicwhore is not something you go around shouting at the top of your voice to self-introduce.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom