Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which specific changes to BG2 would you make for (an imaginary) BG3 ?

laclongquan

Arcane
With today's monitors being what they are, a full-screen HD game with hand-drawn arts like BG or IWD will melt the graphic card to the ground within 10 minutes.

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Isn't IE engine vastly superior to PoE's engine, by the metric of usermade mods? They made a new engine for an IE-inpsired game and didn't prioritise easy modding.... pure dogshit!

Theldaran

Liturgist
With today's monitors being what they are, a full-screen HD game with hand-drawn arts like BG or IWD will melt the graphic card to the ground within 10 minutes.

What do you mean? Still, all the EEs did was a gimmick. It's more like upscaling than new resolutions.

Giauz Ragnacock

Scholar
First person combat...

So, this reminded me of a game
2816191-5822691-thumbnail.jpg

I read about here called RO9. What if combat was tactical-grid, turn-based, and you could only see things in each of your characters' simultaneous FPPs? That could be really suspenseful and/or get really tedious.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
POE being shit isn't related in any way to the engine... would it have been better with IE, retard?
It would have been better with IE because the combat would have been better; as has already been previously mentioned on this thread.
You're going in circles. You said you liked pretty games, so you went EE. So you should like POE's smoother engine and graphics. I understand if you don't like the shitty story or combat, but the graphics are alright.
I never fucking said that though. I just don't like my games looking like dogshit. The UI and blurry resolution of the original games was too much to bear, but I personally love the way the games look in EE. In fact, I prefer the hand drawn maps and sprites of these old games to PoE. It has its own visual aesthetic that does the job better than PoE imho.
Using IE right now is as if Nintendo used Ocarina of Time's engine for Breath of the Wild... you can go so far with a 20-year old engine. You'd actually produce a dated, indie game, except IE back then was triple A. Using it now is lazy.
I wouldn't be 100% opposed to another engine. The reason I was advocating for IE is because it's already completed and it would save companies loads of money that would come with developing a new engine. My original post was discussing specific changes that need to be made to BG. Does the game NEED a new engine? No it fucking doesn't, I and most other people I'm sure would play a new game if it had great writing but was developed using IE.

mibbles

codex grandma
Patron
Done by Beamdog? Realistic expectations:

gothminsc.jpg

Please refrain from mocking my art. I was a young and impressionable teen, and I did it for the lulz. I had no idea they would actually make it into a mod. :negative:

PS. Modder tag pls

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom