Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which Tex Murphy game should I start with?

:necro:

Having never played a Tex game should I start with MS or Overseer? I have a high tolerance for janky late 80s UI, but almost no tolerance for shitty action mini-games (which I understand MS has). How prevalent/frustrating are said minigames?

Sceptic

Alex

Arcane
I would say, definitely start with Mean Streets. It is a great game, and the action parts, while annoying, are very easy. If I remember correctly, there are only three or four mandatory action sequences, which trigger when you visit some areas for the first time. Mean Streets is unique among the series in that it uses a keyword dialogue system, similar to early Ultimas. Having to rely on your own investigation notes to find out what is going on sets this game apart in the series, and I really recommend you try it out.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Definitely start with MS. The flight sequences can be bypassed completely by using the autopilot. The side scrolling shooting parts are neither that numerous nor that hard, and putting up with them is well worth it for the unique investigation approach that the game has. I did notice at some point that the difficulty of the action scenes seemed CPU-dependent, so you could always reduce CPU cycles in DOSBox to make them easier.

I hope you like the game, it's quite good IMO.

EDIT: In any case you definitely do NOT want to start with Overseer, regardless of skipping MS. While Overseer is mostly a remake of MS, the framing device is Tex telling the story to someone who you get to know over the previous games, and the cliffhanger ending of Overseer leads directly into Tesla Effect. The series' chronological order is the same as its release order.

Last edited:

ZeniBot

Cipher
I would skip Overseer for Poisoned Pawn when its finally released. They are the same game.
Starting with Mean Streets is a bit pointless is well because Overseer was a remake of it. So PP is a remake of a remake.

I would start with Maritain Memorandum and move on from there. As great as Mean Streets is, a lot of people my find the game a bit dated and difficult to get into (which is obvious considering its 1 part flight sim, 1 part side scrolling shooter and 1 part adventure game). Martian Memorandum is closer to a Seirra Online/Lucasarts point and click so its a good starting point. UAKM was the first I played though and easily the best one because its the funniest, Pandora is the second best because whilst much more serious a game has a lot of amazing design changes that makes the game a hardcore adventure game with lots of branching paths, choice and consequence. UAKM is a great game because I can sit down and laugh my ass off for a few hours which is why I prefer it.

Boleskine

Arcane
Clicking through this playthrough I am again reminded of how amazing The Pandora Directive really is. I should replay it sometime.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I would skip Overseer for Poisoned Pawn when its finally released. They are the same game.

They used to be, but they are not anymore. Poisoned Pawn is now mostly Overseer, some bits of every other games, and some new bits that will be used as a lead-in to the final, ultimate, Tex Murphy game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom