Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Whip Oblolivized

Whipporowill

Erudite
Just what people needed - another Oblolivon thread! Since there's no general "first impressions" thread, I decided to spam some more critique/praise in my very own (and superior) thread.

I've played Oblivion for about a 10 hours total. Starter dungeon, Sinkhole Cave and every nook and cranny of the Capitol. Lvl 4 (or was it 5) Paladinesque character.

* Combat is a little more interesting than in MW. Gothic still takes the pie.

* Insane memory leaks for magical effects. No matter how simply rendered they are (the hdd action indicated, it just slows). I was drained of endurance - and turned red and my machine started crawling, no lag when fighting multiple non-magic users.

* There's not much roleplaying going on as of yet. You can answer a couple questions - in character, but they generally seem to be of "yes/no" character. Voice acting and characters seems a lot more interesting than MW.

* Radiant AI is a joke. I've seen people in an inn - once. Most of the time people just run around town on some kind of bizarre schedule. A woman decided she should swim fully clothed instead of walking over the bridge. People stand around idling in clumps on the other side of a door. No sweeping or trade animations, but at least now people sleep and sit. :lol: Gothic wins.

* The quest compass is a necessity to find people, as they run around a lot. Finding specific characters in the imperial city goes from extemly unlikely (even if you know where they live) to a piece of cake. I'm not bothered about the feature, it's actuallu useful.

* Physics is a bit meh - picking up an apple and the plates on the table "jumps" like dropped. I don't know if walking into stuff (which makes a lot of noise) alerts npcs, haven't seen any indication of it yet.

* Stealth gameplay seems introduced rather well - stealth multiplier damage et c. Character certainly seems viable.

* Dialogue minigame is ok, don't hurt me! I'd rather impact on a character via dialogue, but it's a lot better than random dicerolls for speechcraft.

* As for quests - the only 2 I've undertaken has been fed-ex quests with some stalking and combat involved I'm not that impressed yet. Haven't undertaken even the first storyline quest yet.

* Interface, journal and maps suck horse cock. As everyone already knows it's retarded console style size on everything.

All in all - I need a better PC to be able to judge it on graphics, but at times it looks very nice. My rig ain't up to snuff, so I' pleased with performance thus far. Certainly one of the most enjoayble games in a long time.

Excrément

Arbiter
Twinfalls said:
Certainly one of the most enjoayble games in a long time.

Whip, you didn't really tell us what makes it so enjoyable....

you know you can say I like this feature,I didn't like this one.... but it is not the sum of all these good and bad things that makes your final judgement if you like or dislike a game.

it's just the overall impressions and if you get fun while playing it.

Whipporowill

Erudite
Twinfalls said:
Certainly one of the most enjoayble games in a long time.

Whip, you didn't really tell us what makes it so enjoyable....

Well, I always enjoy exploration - looking through every nook and cranny. The game certainly allows for this, and it feels rewarding. Also, being allowed to pretty much do what I want in which way I want, when I want it - at least for now. Having played the game for 10+ hours and not being bothered with (OMG !) the main quest is always nice. I don't feel railroaded in any way.

Basically - it's more than the sum of its parts. What bothered me the most with MW was the boring combat, the droll clone npc's, the "stick up the butt-animations" and the fugly-ass world (flora, fauna and architechture) of Vvardenfell - and most of it has been adressed, at least to some degree. However, I can't be helped feeling how the game would've felt with more "Gothicness" under the hood.

Also, I should add - it's one of the most unstable games I've played in 4-5 years. Crashes hard at least every 2-3 hours. Luckily the autosaves basically just means I have to restart it. What's weird though, it crashes more often during conversation or shopping than combat and other taxing activities.

kris

Arcane
Whipporowill said:
Also, I should add - it's one of the most unstable games I've played in 4-5 years. Crashes hard at least every 2-3 hours. Luckily the autosaves basically just means I have to restart it. What's weird though, it crashes more often during conversation or shopping than combat and other taxing activities.

I played for two hours and experienced two "reboot" crash bugs.

Micmu

Magister
Morrowind at least crashed to desktop, but Oblivion produces blue screens of death? NEXT GEN! :)

Thrawn05

Scholar
Whipporowill said:
* Interface, journal and maps suck horse cock. As everyone already knows it's retarded console style size on everything.

I'm sure they made batering kiddy proof with lots of "are you sure you want to sell this one item?" crap. I'm right am I?

No wonder there was no demo. Bethesda would be hammered with UI complaints.

Whipporowill

Erudite
Thrawn05 said:
Whipporowill said:

I'm sure they made batering kiddy proof with lots of "are you sure you want to sell this one item?" crap. I'm right am I?

Yeah, lots of large pop-ups for bartering and pretty much any action. I think there's one both for buying and selling... none for dropping items at least.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom