Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why a game like Daggerfall can't be made today.

Tintin

Arbiter
Drakron said:
Are you retarded or something?

Pat yourself on the back for the originality.

If you wish to believe the only reason Morrowind was successful was because there was only fifty other RPGs on the system , and the player's were craving "NEED...MORE...RPG" and went to the local store and picked out Morrowind, and that is what led to it's very good sales, more than PC, sure....

Drakron

Arcane
Funny how you fail to disprove what I and others say ... that Morrowind was alone for months as a RPG in the Xbox system and there was nothing as good until KotOR come out.

Let me guess ... you a Xbox fanboy that is unable to see his system weakness?

As for your PC comment ... well Morrowind was going against NwN that was released around the same time (about a month later) and that had a impact on sales, expecialy since both had a toolset but NwN had multiplayer and Morrowind not.

On in one hand we have a launch title that had no competition for months and in the other we have a title without multiplayer going against a similar title that had multiplayer capabilities ... I wonder why one version sold more that other ...

And yes, you are retarded ... saying that might not be "original" but being a blind fanboy moron makes you a retarded.

Chefe

Erudite
I think it would be easier to ignore Tintin altogether. I haven't seen one post where he makes a lick of sense. Instead, I found a better way to cope.

Observe:

Tintin said:
Um, is that pic supposed to be a joke, or an attack, or a satire, what?

tintin3ib.jpg

Selenti

Liturgist
This is astounding.

No crossbows. Okay, that's fine, sounds like bows should be cool.

No Nine Divines. Well, fine, it's just a little churchy flavor.

No climbing over town walls.

<i>The FUCK?!</i>

I'm sorry, but... what?

You guys mind sharing the vast quantities of cocaine you're apparently knocking back on a daily basis? At this rate, you're going to have to put a galaxy of asterisks every time you make a claim of nonlinearity and "freedom".

Unparalleled freedom!******

*Except for weapons.

**And walls. Stop climbing them.

***Those big empty tracts of land in the middle of every city? We meant to include churches, but we ran out of time. We suggest you mod them in.

****Oh, and the end boss. We forgot him too. Just drop some random daedra in and call him something nasty sounding. Oh, and give him that stylish new daedric armor with the shaders and the reflective surfaces.

*****Hail Marduk! We sacrifice these children in your name!

Twinfalls

Erudite
Not only can town walls not be climbed over, but this means also they cannot be walked on.

Daggerfall allowed you to enter the towers in town walls and ascend the internal stairs, then walk along the top - always fun. Morrowind at least allowed you to enter and climb guard towers, and whatever walls were around.

I now wonder whether there will even be any walking along the high levels of the various castles and forts in the towns, either, like the one in this shot.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Selenti said:
This is astounding.

No crossbows. Okay, that's fine, sounds like bows should be cool.

No Nine Divines. Well, fine, it's just a little churchy flavor.

No climbing over town walls.

<i>The FUCK?!</i>
You may also add "no levitation".

Tintin

Arbiter
Chefe said:
I think it would be easier to ignore Tintin altogether. I haven't seen one post where he makes a lick of sense. Instead, I found a better way to cope.

Observe:

Wow, you are so LOLZ that I have fallen off my chair laughing. You deserve a cookie.

you a Xbox fanboy that is unable to see his system weakness?

I don't own any consoles. Except for my SNES.

I haven't seen one post where he makes a lick of sense.

http://www.worldwidelearn.com/language- ... nglish.htm

but being a blind fanboy moron makes you a retarded.

Great, now I'm "a retarded".

http://www.worldwidelearn.com/language- ... nglish.htm

Believe it or not, if there weren't many RPGs for a few months, that doesn't mean tons of Xbox owners, who were not PC owners who had played Daggerfall, al rushed out to fill some imaginary RPG craving, in more numbers than the PC owners, who most likely had experience with Daggerfall & maybe Arena. It was probably a contributing factor, but it's ridiculous to say "MW did better on the xbox than on the pc because there weren't many other RPG's available."

Twinfalls

Erudite
Tintin said:
Believe it or not, if there weren't many RPGs for a few months, that doesn't mean tons of Xbox owners, who were not PC owners who had played Daggerfall, al rushed out to fill some imaginary RPG craving, in more numbers than the PC owners, who most likely had experience with Daggerfall & maybe Arena.

And that sentence came from a person touting English learning courses!

bryce777

Erudite
Apparently it's impossible to make it load as you climb over the wall, folks ;)

Ah, tintin, tintin. Are you genuinely this stupid and irrational or just a troll?

I always thought Vollie was a troll because no one could be so stupid and insane, but over time I think I was proven wrong.

Pr()ZaC

Scholar
I join the mob who is pro-city wall climbing/walking on/levitation.

You know, I had fun (and I was sorta of afraid) trying to climb the outer Daggerfall wall while the fallen king was screaming "VEENNGEEANNCEEE...", chasing me.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Pr()ZaC said:
I join the mob who is pro-city wall climbing/walking on/levitation.

You know, I had fun (and I was sorta of afraid) trying to climb the outer Daggerfall wall while the fallen king was screaming "VEENNGEEANNCEEE...", chasing me.

I would like climbing back too, I even made a climbing mod for Morrowind. That said, I can see that to make such a feature look and feel decent with up-to date graphics is not so trivial. Either you allow climbing only on specific surfaces and plan your levels accordingly (a la splinter Cell) which is very limiting and "un-RPGish", or its gonna be one hell of a job to deal with curving walls and making animations look correct.

Twinfalls

Erudite
And that's the fucking problem. The supposedly great advances in graphix means features get cut because they 'won't look right'. Freaking rope arrows in Thief got cut for the supa-moving-shadows 3rd version, because of a graphics engine 5 years ahead of the original.

Tintin

Arbiter
Chefe said:
Tintin said:
Yes, I do enjoy sweaty meat balls.

tintinsnap6pl.jpg

jj2.jpg

Ah, tintin, tintin. Are you genuinely this stupid and irrational or just a troll?

Ah yes, here comes the troll thing. In the same page where Chefe follows me and posts pictures rather than responding to my actual argument. What a mind you are, bryce777 :lol: Relax, have a cookie, it'll all come back to you.

Hey you're right guys. THe only reason Morrowind was popular on the XBOX and BEAT pc sales was because all the Xbox owners had sudden cravings for an RPG and Morrowind was the only one available, so they all rushed out and bought in bigger numbers than the total PC sales. It just makes sense. :lol:

Pr()ZaC

Scholar
It was the only RPG with prety graphics and a FPS interface. The rest were mindless JRPGs and that horror called SUDEKI and a bastard child called Fable.

Tintin

Arbiter
Pr()ZaC said:
It was the only RPG with prety graphics and a FPS interface. The rest were mindless JRPGs and that horror called SUDEKI and a bastard child called Fable.

Again, I'm not saying that it wasn't a factor, but it's ridiculous to point most or all of the Xbox sales to that reason.

Pr()ZaC

Scholar
Tintin said:
Pr()ZaC said:

Again, I'm not saying that it wasn't a factor, but it's ridiculous to point most or all of the Xbox sales to that reason.
Another factor could have been the big PC userbase that translated into more XBOX copies sold. Let's not be foolish and not mention the fact that the game is a good RPG.
I mean, most of the people I know liked Morrowind, I didn't as much as I wanted to.
Perhaps Daggerfall spoiled me, but you wait for a "sequel" to actually improve things over its "predecessor" and not go mainstream or cut options because of the animator decisions.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Twinfalls said:
And that's the fucking problem. The supposedly great advances in graphix means features get cut because they 'won't look right'. Freaking rope arrows in Thief got cut for the supa-moving-shadows 3rd version, because of a graphics engine 5 years ahead of the original.

It's the one grudge I bear the 3rd person view. Climbing would have been relatively easy if there was only first person.
Well, one would think it does create a niche for indie developers to work in, so where are all those great feature-rich indie RPG's? I mean, graphics 10x better than daggerfall are available from a number of open-source SDK's or not? I like good graphics, but I am not as blinded that I wouldn't give an indie development a chance. Speaking of which, why has there NEVER been a Daggerfall clone?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom