Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why all the NWN 2 hate?

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
So...i joined the codex recently (i'm nobody's alt, btw!) cuz I was highly impressed with the quality of the reviews + finally saw a list of "top something games" featuring my beloved Baldur's Gate and Fallout on their rightful places. One thing still bothers me though: although saying that "the Codex hates NWN 2" is an unfair assessment, considering NWN 2 made it to the top 70, I still don't see why SO MANY say things like "Obsidian botched NWN 2". I can totally see why MotB gets all the love, since it's a lot more polished, but IMO OC is also pretty enjoyable.

My question is simple: NWN 2 features D&D 3.5 rules (which I personally think is the strongest D&D version, Pathfinder -> :obviously:), Forgotten Realms (best D&D campaign set), a pretty awesome crafting system (for all your power building needs), above-average NPCs, interesting enough plot, CASTLE (anyone remember how AD&D clearly states that you're supposed to get a castle at higher levels? :P), intelligent usage of the new damage reduction mechanic, well, I could go on for hours.

But still...not much love for NWN 2's OC to be found on the Codex. I'm not going to change my mind about NWN 2, I've already beaten it and saw every single ending available. I am, however, curious as to why people thrash it. Were they expecting the Second Coming? Did they forget how NWN 1 OC was the biggest disappointment ever (Hordes was pretty good, though)? Was 2005 a year full of awesome D&D + Forgotten Realms games I am not aware of? Did people never bothered to play a patched version of the game (yeah, it WAS pretty buggy. I remember not seeing Neeshka's tail during my first and second playtrough)?

Well, sorry for the long post. I'm just gonna pray Tymora grants me some serious answers.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It seems the gods have decreed that the Codex enjoy many bountiful Neverwinter Nights threads this year

FeelTheRads

Arcane
(i'm nobody's alt, btw!)

Of course.

But NWN2 has: shitty and annoying NPCs, utterly uninteresting plot, fake Bioware choices (trial), Forgotten Realms (most boring D&D campaign set), shitty combat and shitty encounters, no single one of any note making you plow through endless corridors of same shitty boring enemies.
And let's not forget worst camera in any video game yet and filling your screen with special effectorz to the point where you can barely tell what the hell is going on as if the combat wasn't a pain already.

Ramireza

Savant
Why?

Because the camera control sucks
Because the Story of the OC sucks (Well, maybe i would play it if remaked in the Infinity Engine : An NWN 2 : EE in the Infinity Engine would be a REALY enhanced Version.)
Because the shitty 3D gfx sucks
Because the Invoriments sucks.

bloodlover

Arcane
It's not as bad as most people here say but the points the pig made above are very valid. You can pass the characters or setting, I think those are quite preferential arguments but the camera is the killing blow for the game.

Bibbimbop

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
There's going to be a lot of posturing in the next 50 pages, but to boil it all down to what's going to to be awkwardly left unsaid: No gay romance option for Khelgar Ironfist.

Angthoron

Arcane
Horrible camera, fairly poor art style, atrociously boring slow start.

Fuck, I rather play through all of Hommlett in ToEE because at least it's pretty.

Lord Andre

Arcane
the engine sucks so much ass, you need witcher levels of tits to make it endurable. not to mention the story and writing are mind-numbingly dull, the corridor map design would put mass effect to shame and the enemy encounters are so retardedly stupid it will give you brain damage.

Look to KotC or ToE for good implementation of D&D3.5 and any storyfag rpg for how plot should not make the paint crumble of the walls from sheer dullness.

other than that, not a bad game.

Stompa

Arcane
Banalshitboring plot, companions that range from uninteresting to annoying, badly implemented RTwP combat, too many uninspired dungeons that involve said shitty combat, unwieldy camera - vanilla NWN2 was so bad it made vanilla NWN look good in comparison. I think it even managed to piss off Bioware fans with that retarded hippie stalker druid romance.

NWN 2 features D&D 3.5 rules (which I personally think is the strongest D&D version, Pathfinder -> :obviously:)

:notsureifserious:

Durante

Learned
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
NWN2 is decent, and MotB is great.

It's certainly a very far cry from the unmitigated disaster of epic proportions that was the NWN1 OC, so I was really surprised to see that thread which even suggested a comparison between the two.

Many complaints seem centered on the interface, and as with almost all 3D party based RPGs I can't quite understand them. The only such game I ever had interface troubles with was DA2 (I haven't played DA:I yet).

Reading the posts above, I guess the art complaint is valid (it's rather bland), and it's a fact that the OC is fairly "safe", bog-standard fantasy in its story and characters.

Korron

Cipher
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong
No, no, really, I'm seriously.
After I lost my save game to corruption for the third time with a third version of the Co8 modpack, hommlett and ToEE can fuck right off.

At least the patched version of nwn 2 let me get through the shitty OC in one run, and then I could move on to much better community content. I don't think I've ever had such a good return on my money as how much time I got out of both nwns.

A horse of course

NWN2 is decent, and MotB is great.

It's certainly a very far cry from the unmitigated disaster of epic proportions that was the NWN1 OC, so I was really surprised to see that thread which even suggested a comparison between the two.

Many complaints seem centered on the interface, and as with almost all 3D party based RPGs I can't quite understand them. The only such game I ever had interface troubles with was DA2 (I haven't played DA:I yet).

Reading the posts above, I guess the art complaint is valid (it's rather bland), and it's a fact that the OC is fairly "safe", bog-standard fantasy in its story and characters.

You are bad and have bad opinions. NWN1 OC is vastly superior, and I can still remember some of the dungeons, boss fights and general plot. All I vaguely recall from NWN2 is the castle, the trial, the shitty performance and the rubberbanding.

It's clear your mind has degenerated into a lumpy soup from all those years spent on SJWGAF

Xenich

Cipher
The noticeably smaller map sizes due to the engine limitations I think really hurt the game in my opinion.

Angthoron

Arcane
At least the patched version of nwn 2 let me get through the shitty OC in one run, and then I could move on to much better community content. I don't think I've ever had such a good return on my money as how much time I got out of both nwns.
Why not just play community content straightaway? Or MotB?

Copper

Savant
Of the top of my head:

Forced NPC inter-party drama (rivalries & betrayals) which are both predicatable and unavoidable.
Badly designed NPCs with points put into entirely useless attributes for their class (worst case, turn Khelgar into a really shit monk).
Badly optimised and full of bugs, even with the latest patch.
Some really bad level design, especially in Neverwinter (that hill up to Nasher, docks, etc).
Lots of out of context cut scenes to try and up the cinematic factor, often badly paced and with bugged out camera.
Shit plot pacing in general.
Tries to do Dragon Age 2 'powerless protagonist' stuff in really dumb ways, mostly tied to Shandra.
Tedious stronghold management that requires lots of loading screens.
Loading screens.
Clusterfuck combat controls.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom