Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why all the NWN 2 hate?

Serpent in the Staglands Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
And that's how Obsidian's games typically are. It's not like with Bioware where you realize there's no hope and all is left is laugh at them. But Obsidian is so desperate to be (sub)mediocre despite their potential that it's infuriating.

While this is true for Bioware right now, I actually feel pretty much the exact same about DA:O that I do about NWN2. Both are hopelessly mediocre games marred by trash mobs, boring combat systems, shitty plot, and annoying companions. But at the same time, they each have flashes of real inspiration that make it so much more infuriating that most of the game is shit.

Honestly, the only big difference that I see between the two games is that NWN2 spread its moments of quality out through the game while DA:O clumped them all in the beginning. That's probably why I finished the former and not the latter, because just as I was on the verge of quitting it would give me something legitimately cool and fun which would help me forgive it's flaws for another few hours. While the memory of DA:O's beginning eventually faded away completely under anger at yet another endless trash mob dungeon.

GloomFrost

Arcane
I played nwn2 oc ages ago but the thing I remember the most is by far THE worst camera imaginable in a cRPG genre. I certainly don't hate it however and ready to forgive EVERYTHING just because Obsidian made TMOTB afterwards. But that is another story for another time.

Copper

Savant
Actually, apart from some rather minor issues, I thought Act 1 was 'fine', even the prologue for 'village champion destined for great things' at least had some half-decent evil options. Act 2 was when I asked myself 'is this shit fun? Do I want to redo an hour of banal combat & dialog inside Ammon Jerro's tomb because his scripting broke?' and never went back.

Bugs are obvious a subjective issue, often depending on the machine, but I found the game's scripting to be terrible. (I also had to redo the attack on Garius(?) in the Keep because I chose the wrong dialog option after the fight was done and ended up stuck in a sealed off room.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
It's as mediocre a campaign as the original neverwinter, followed up by two very different but equally great expansions... All wrapped in the most godawful engine obsidian could use.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Great implementation of rules in principle.

Too bad everything else sucks.

Yet I've played the game more than it deserves because the character development is just so damned fine. It's the only redeemable quality the game has, though.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
The cam isn't a valid complaint anymore. If you're a PC gamer, you should know to patch your game, RTFM and tweak settings and inis (eg, Edge_Turn).

Storm of Zehir for NWN2 probably doesn't get enough love on the Codex, sort of like Hordes of the Underdark doesn't for NWN. For anyone interested in having a painless experience with SoZ (and NWN2's cam n control), read this.

DramaticPopcorn

I like SoZ conceptually but mechanically, NWN2 isn't a great engine for that idea. So many loading screens :negative:

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Since decompression of the files didn't speed NWN2 up, I just used a RAM disk... but anyway, I should point out that with modern hardware the load times are much better than when SoZ came out..

Ramireza

Savant
Another point why NWN2 sucks : The city of Neverwinter, omg its sooo terrible compared to Athkatla. Well, ok. Nearly every city in fantasy RPG suck.

Ah yes, the Character Design is from Hell :

968full-neverwinter-nights-2-artwork.jpg

3 years before 3D Charakters looked better :

bastila-shankotor.jpg

WTF? What were they thinking?

Last edited:

Xenich

Cipher
I have to say... they are correct, what the hell did they do? It was like they fired all the talent and hired a bunch of second rates to carry on.

Greatness

Cipher
I guess the artists were suffering from the same thing that plagued their writers at the time. Let's call it poor management.

Xenich

Cipher
I guess the artists were suffering from the same thing that plagued their writers at the time. Let's call it poor management.

Well, they signed their name to it... makes them just as guilty. Gotta be willing to walk away from a job on principals or you might as well go flip burgers for a living.

Athelas

Arcane
I have to say... they are correct
Not really, NWN2's models are just higher fidelity so they come closer to the uncanny valley. In what world is this

NWN2_SS_012315_231416.jpg
or this

NWN2_SS_012315_231612.jpg
worse than NWN1's models?

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
NWN OC isn't mediocre. It's straight up manure.

Would you rather eat a shitty burger, or a burger literally made of shit?

I agree. I remember that BG 2 had loading screens (latter removed) stating that NWN would allow us to import our BG characters, HEAVILY implying that NWN would be more of the same. And what did they deliver? A shitty solo adventure using fucking D&D rules? REALLY!? D&D was NEVER meant for fucking solo adventures, what the hell is WRONG with these people? NWN OC's crimes cannot be forgotten nor can they be forgiven. Ever. NWN 2 gave us our parties back, that ought to count for something.

Well, despite the occasional troll, this thread helped me see that I enjoy NWN 2 because the things the game does RIGHT are the things I enjoy the most (D&D 3.5, tinkering with builds, planning my gear progression and so on) and the things the game does WRONG don't really bother me much. I see another person posted a direct link to a mod that fixes the camera issues I mentioned earlier. Maybe that will convince some people to give NWN 2 another shot. Of course, they won't post positive NWN 2 experiences on the Codex for fear of not being considered "cool".

I think it all comes down to the fact that "Implementing a Dungeons and Dragons Ruleset" is something that heavily influences my [positive] opinion towards a game. If the game does not commit any major sins against the sanctity of D&D rules (such as REMOVING THE FUCKING PARTY), I'm always willing to forgive and enjoy said game.

Sykar

Arcane
NWN 1 looked like garbage when it came out compared to it's predecessors. NWN 2 looked average but at least not like someone puked all over it.
Animations in both games were equally shitty and retarded though.

Perkel

Arcane
Because it was mediacore RPG in every sense.

It was better than NWN1OC but it had the same problems. Trash mobs, poor characterization, pacing and awful camera controls and UI.
Also it was real time with pause game build upon 3rd edition so all of that awesome combat was just bad looking mmoish shit instead of being awesome as ToEE combat.

What Mask of Betreyer did was essentially the same as PST. Throw out any combat balancing and make player powerful and shower him with god items, cut shit and trash combat and focus only on area design, writting, characterization and story.

Hell SoZ compared to NWN2OC is amazing game

Xenich

Cipher
Worse.. sorry. They are shit. /shrug

Edit, by the way, the person I commented on showed comparisons. If you think NWN2 is better? Well... that is just dandy and our discussion is over.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom