Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ Why are there no round game worlds yet?

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
By round game worlds, I mean the following:

- Start an a point X.
- Travel in a straight line.
- After traveling for long enough, you return to point X.

And I'm not talking about games where you have a small maze that loops. I mean a real, truly round game world. Almost the vastly majority of games are in some kind of sandbox: you have limits of how far you can go. Even Elder Scroll games do this (Arena, not sure)!

Why hasn't this be attempted in any meaningful manner? Is our technology still too limited? Is it derp developers/publishers? Is there no practical purpose to trying to implement this?

John

Novice
Planetary Annihilation has spherical maps(true spheres, not toroids).

Spore does too, if I'm not mistaken.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
There was a cancelled FPS in the late 90's or early 2000's that was supposed to take place on small planets or something. Can't remember the name, but I think it had something to do with Atlantis. It might've been pretty cool.

edit: Atlantica

Last edited:

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Topic is Crispy OP is a virgin

not_a_cool_story_bro_it_has_no_aliens_Virginity_Troll-s553x484-277309-535.jpg

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Yeah, for one thing, a torus is two-sided, while the whole point of the Klein bottle is that it's one-sided (or non-orientable, to use the proper term).

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
That's why I said said "equivalent to surface of torus".

You're still wrong. It's possible to consistently define orientation on a torus. That is, it's impossible to take such a path over the surface of a torus that right becomes left. This is possible on a Klein bottle (and also on a Mobius strip for similar reasons).

Severian Silk

IIRC there's some sort of space RTS in development where you pilot a probe on a small planetoid building colony modules and stuff... I remember that it has great graphics, but that I was kind of skeptical about the gameplay. Maybe it was on kickstarter?

:Flash:

Arcane
"Star Quest I: In the 27th Century" is another space game with completely accessible planets and seamless space-planet traversal.
One of the missions had you crash-land on a planet, where you then had to deliver pizza in a car in order to earn enough money to repair your ship.

It is funny how everybody is still impressed by Frontier, but this shareware game made by a single guy is almost completely unknown. The guy claims to be working on the sequel again, but he seems to be intent on beating breaking Cleve's record. He asked for Beta Testers for the sequel more than 10 years ago.
http://virtuadv.com/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom