Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why do Codexers like KOTOR 1?

halimakibb

Novice
Just met Mission Vao in the undercity and IMO it's kinda boring up to this point, idk but it seems like that even Arcanum (!) has a better combat system. Writing is kinda okay-ish although I kinda disapprove the Paragon-Renegade morality system. Will it get better as it progresses? Any tips/mods to enjoy the game a little better (probably something that can speed up the combat)?

Thanks

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
It does get better, but only after about 7 playthroughs or so.

In all seriousness though, I don't think many Codexers like KOTOR except with massive qualifications of the "good for what it is" kind: it's good for a casual RPG, it's good for a Star Wars game, etc. In the Top 70, it's #45, and people who like it (presumably) explain why.

The whole Taris part is pretty boring and clichéd, what with the sewer level and all that. After that, it becomes more Star Wars-like, with familiar planets and plot elements, so if you like that, you'll have some fun with it. Of course, outside of the Codex, it's considered a classic for all the wrong reasons, and I would take those with a grain of salt.

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
I thought it was boring/shit and never finished it, I think I got like 2 or 3 of the map pieces you need to end the game.

Same with kotor 2 for me, I actually think my progress in both games was the same.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Just met Mission Vao in the undercity and IMO it's kinda boring up to this point, idk but it seems like that even Arcanum (!) has a better combat system. Writing is kinda okay-ish although I kinda disapprove the Paragon-Renegade morality system. Will it get better as it progresses? Any tips/mods to enjoy the game a little better (probably something that can speed up the combat)?

Thanks

Codex is full of nerds, dude. Long after you expected Star Wars to be dead forever suddenly you had the same sort of Star Wars story the prequel trilogy ought to have been with RPG SYSTEMS. Even if it was pop a mole, that carried a lot of weight.

laclongquan

Arcane
Not really. i am not a fan of star wars or star trek, always thought those series overrated, though trek is somewhat better than wars.

But I admit KOTOR1 is somewhat ... special.

Take it apart, and each part of is so-so. Story is so so, though I admit it's not bad, and certainly better than the star wars movies I watch. gameplay is piss easy, where most of the game you can play in the buff (which I had done), though strangely enough it's not boring. Art is nothing special, setting-wise. Watch some movies and you know them all: desert towns, forest of endor, dark ruins, hyper-SF apartment complex, ship corridors, nothing special but not boring.

But the overall combination is good, certainly better than the sum of those parts. The vast battlefield of desert, the dark and confining battles in forest, lighsaber versus dual-pistol gunplay etc... They are piss easy, but in the same sense, there's no grinding as such because it's over in a flash. Carth is a whiny emo bitch, but the others are not so bad. HK47 is quite memorable.

Even the name is good. Knights of the Old Republic.

So yeah, it's pretty hard to explain why it's good to non-SW-fanbois codexers.

A good comparison is to popcorn. You know it's not that good but you are certainly not refusing a bag, or speak badly of it.

EDIT: note to self to check nexus mods before reinstall. There's a few promising mods inprogress.
EDITITY: the darker pegasus (for KOTOR2) is certainly good. It change the atmosphere of beginning area from bright and cheery to darkish disaster~ Nice~

Last edited:

Ninjerk

Arcane
b/c they joined in 2015
I liked it when I was a teenager

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Thanks to Kotor 1 we got Kotor 2; you can't say much good about the game except this one; its cliche bio game with Hero and his epic quest to find hot wifu save the world galaxy done in four parts you can tackle in any order you please; but being old its obviously less streamlined and SJW than new biowhorean shit I give you that; still had more fun playing Jade Empire to be honest but its solid 6/10 (6.5 thanks to HK-47 and fact that you can literaly kill most of faggot companions.) game.

valcik

Arcane
Codex is full of nerds, dude.
This reminded me how I walked across the hull of huge space ship, dressed in space suit and shit, and suddenly I realized that I can hear energy blasts from laser cannons and X-Wing engines roaring everywhere. In vacuum. WTF?
:rpgcodex:

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Another thing I forgot to mention was that we didn't have a lot of options post-Infinity Engine era, so you made the most of what you had. This (Kotor) was what RPGs had become.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Darkside play-through of KoToR is good fun. Killing people, stealing from people, getting revenge on that asshat Malek. Good times.

edit: The biggest problem with the game is that it is sooooooooooooooooooooooo easy.

Ebonsword

Arcane
Seeing The Force Awakens inspired me to play through KOTOR #1 again. I decided to play through as a scoundrel/counselor so I don't have to worry about bringing an extra character along with me just to open locks and hack computers.

Most of the criticisms against KOTOR are valid: Taris is boring, combat is easy, most of the companions are bland, etc.

But HK-47 is really an enjoyable character (too bad he's so shit in combat). Heck, even Jolee Bindo is better than I remember.

Also, Korriban is quite a good section, with some interesting insights into the Sith. It's, perhaps, not taken as far as it could, but at least you see *some* sane reason that people would join them instead of just doing it to go kick puppies.

I have to say that I'm enjoying it. It's a good game to play at night, when you're too tired to play something that requires a lot of concentration but not tired enough to go to bed.

Even the name is good. Knights of the Old Republic.

So yeah, it's pretty hard to explain why it's good to non-SW-fanbois codexers.

Don't have to be a fan boy to be caught in the orbit of Star Wars.

A game that had the same level of mechanical and graphical sophistication but not the Star Wars label would have received much less of a response than Kotor ended up getting.

Jade Empire is a practical demonstration of this.

laclongquan

Arcane
Nah~ Jade Empire is too much kungfuism. I watched too many Chinese kungfu movies to get impressed by that, and I suspect others same as me. The westerners who dont get exposed same way wont get impressed with generic setting #126, asian-flavour.
The arcade shooting game between each region doesnt help either. It break the art style's impression very quick: 10 minutes ago you just has gotten impressed with the game in region A then 10 minutes later we get an arcade shooting. What. the. fuck~ Are you a fantasy game, or are you a SF game, make it clear!

To compare the meat of the matter: content quality. The philosophy spout by KOTOR1 is pretty good, better than all the Star War movies i've ever watched. What about JE? Nothing. I dont remember anything of substance from that game.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
What about JE? Nothing. I dont remember anything of substance from that game.

I remember that if you played your cards right you could have a 3-way with the two chicks.

Also something about a water dragon but I'm not sure that was important.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
I remember being quite hyped about it pre-release but feeling it quite lackluster and linear once once I sunk into it. Looking back it's obviously the start of Biowares long career of being appealing to faggy SJW nerds with its lackluster writing and weak characters. Total sham in hindsight!

Starwars Would you please stop spouting bs?

Hey man, these games are the fucking worst.
:decline:

Perhaps, but they had their moments of humor. At the final fight of Jade Empire the villain goes like, "Well, I hope you have corrected the flaw in your defense," that he exploited earlier to defeat the PC. "Oh I think I corrected it" I said before immediately transforming into a giant, borderline invincible Stone Golem.

Trotsky

Arcane
KoToR is the best Star Wars game second only to Tie Fighter. The plot itself is better than the movies. I love the dark side factions in the SW universe and this is one game that delivers. The sequel only makes sense under the conditions of the evil ending to the first game which is what Obsidian seemed to be aiming for at least unofficially. As for the combat I liked it although the second game is where the series shines. The same for party characters who are mostly boring but there are some very memorable companions. KoToR has flaws but they're eclipsed by everything that made it good. The game needs to be massively updated but I heard the mac edition significantly improved the difficulty.

Not sure why Taris is unpopular its by far the biggest and most immersive world in the game. I wished all the subsequent planets were like that but was pretty disappointed except for Korriban. The Force Awakens was clearly inspired by KoToR from the melee stormtroopers to the main villain and other elements. Judge a game by its era though. It may not be as impressive today but back in the early 2000s it deserved all the acclaim it received. Its too bad that shitty MMO ruined what could have been a great franchise.

Last edited:

laclongquan

Arcane
Even for today we can still play KOTOR1.

Even though I am a bit too burnt out from 7 runs, I figure once the visual mods in nexus finished the old girl can get one more ride out of that.
Not any difficulty mod though, curse the luck~

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Its been many years since I played the Kotors, so I can't engage in a detailed argument, but I liked the first better.

I distinctly remember a lot about this game, such as plot points (the major twist), character personalities (I take Jolee Bindu over Kreia any day) and even the locations I went to, such as Kashyyk and the water planet (Maraan?). Considering that Obsidian is praised for its writing, I found Kotor 2 to be almost enitrely forgetable in comparison. I barely remember any of the companions and what they were like, except for Kreia, which I found really annoying at that time (even though she just may have been a bit over my head). I don't remember any locations (just that I found them all boring) or major plot points. The only thing I really liked about it and thus remember are the bad guys. Another thing I remember about it was that it had some major performance issues, seemed unfinished in parts and the balancing was way off - I kicked Kreias ass in a matter of seconds.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom