Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why do people hate Oblivion so much?

Quillon

Arcane
I don't hate Oblivion, I quite like it, level scaling and all. That said, you guys realize we haven't really seen true Radiant AI yet, right? It was scrapped for both Oblivion and Skyrim. Originally it was supposed to be much more fleshed out, but they ran into problems with it and had to trim it down to the very basic level we see in those 2 games. I hope for TES VI we see real Radiant AI that the devs originally wanted to implement. It might be possible now with the current level of technology.

Dude, bad news: You are the Radiant AI that Bethesda let loose on codex. Sorry bro.

trimethylsilyl

Educated
Think I'm gonna fire up Oblivion with Maskar's, Midas and some scaling removal mods again. Last time I played I got massive stuttering. Will installing on an SSD help with this?

Codex Year of the Donut
Think I'm gonna fire up Oblivion with Maskar's, Midas and some scaling removal mods again. Last time I played I got massive stuttering. Will installing on an SSD help with this?
FYI, the mods I used from my most recent playthrough, you might find a few useful:
Mandatory for all creationengine games, Mator Smash: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/90987
Creates a smashed patch from your mods that fixes many record conflict issues between your mods, works surprisingly well.

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
anyone 15 to 35 years old is an oldfag who worships misshapen tumor dice that are identical to their testicles

Cael

Arcane
Please can we have a "Modding does not make shit games good" button or smiley or summat?
That would be the bastard child of bethesturd and cuckdog. The cuckturd would cause the automatic meltdown of the Internet by nuking every datacentre everywhere.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Doubt your HDD was the problem, since Oblivion came out before SSDs were a thing. Much more likely something else with your system. It's not a modern drivers or Windows 10 issue, I fucked around in Oblivion not long ago with no issue.

Funposter

Arcane

Doubt your HDD was the problem, since Oblivion came out before SSDs were a thing. Much more likely something else with your system. It's not a modern drivers or Windows 10 issue, I fucked around in Oblivion not long ago with no issue.

Oblivion is pretty notorious for stuttering, as are all Bethesda Gamebryo games. There are OBSE plugins such as the Stutter Remover to help alleviate things, as well as various ini tweaks, but ultimately it's a problem with the engine which is only exacerbated by installing mods.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
There is a great mod that removes the loading screen for towns. So instead of getting to the main gate and then you load to get inside, you just open the door and go in. But I can't play this game with the bad combat. The standard magic combat is so bad and the mods only make it overpowered, not better.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Oblivion is pretty notorious for stuttering, as are all Bethesda Gamebryo games. There are OBSE plugins such as the Stutter Remover to help alleviate things, as well as various ini tweaks, but ultimately it's a problem with the engine which is only exacerbated by installing mods.

He said massive stuttering, can't say I ever had that issue with a Bethesda game. Some minor stutter as big new areas pop in sometimes, but that's it. I never really use big mods though.

Technomancer

Liturgist
Kirkbride lore was the stuff. Fucking time-traveling cyborgs and shit! And what remained of Pelinal in the KotN? A shell of mythic caracter. Perfectly generic fantasy as everything else.
Compare it to this acid trip, 101% canon!

Cat Dude

Savant

At least they performed much better than Arcania Gothic 4 on pc.

jackofshadows

Magister
Because it's a shit game, obviously. Action-RPG that sucks balls as an action-game and has next to no RPG-elements. It has massive world though. But what's the point to explore it if loot and mobs are lvl-scaled generic shit and all the dungeons looks the same? This is plainly retarded game design. If anything, today's knowledge of reasons behind it rather make me feel worse. Not to mention the writing has like crazy low bar. Only Sean Bean was able to pull that bland uninspiring lines to somewhat engaging but that's it.

Yet the game sold incredibly good and now we've got much more action-RPG/open world/sandbox games... which is not great (to me)

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Yet the game sold incredibly good and now we've got much more action-RPG/open world/sandbox games... which is not great (to me)

Open worlds can work when designed right. Piranha Bytes does open world exploration well, where exploring actually rewards you and matters because it's purposely designed. The issue with games like Witcher 3 or Greedfall (IMO) is that it's massive and open for no real reason, a lack of purposeful design meaning there's nothing to do other than traverse it to quest locations or find randomized loot you don't need.

A lot of people just want to fart around in an open world though, without it actually mattering much.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
The Witcher 3 is full of designed encounters/quests in the wilderness though. It's totally worth roaming around and exploring. One of the best sidequests involves bumping into another Witcher and i just fucking randomly stumbled across the guy while going somewhere else

jackofshadows

Magister
it's massive and open for no real reason
This. I have nothing against open world concept in general. I wish they made like <=10 complex dungeons in Oblivion instead of what we've got but clearly their goal was to create as massive world as possible. It's just sad, really. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but there is not a single quest source in the "wilderness" or even something remotely interesting w/o bond to some quest from town.

Edit: obviously I completely forgot about Daedra. Sure it's qualifies and sorta encourages to explore but I can't think of anything else.

Last edited:

Funposter

Arcane
it's massive and open for no real reason
This. I have nothing against open world concept in general. I wish they made like <=10 complex dungeons in Oblivion instead of what we've got but clearly their goal was to create as massive world as possible. It's just sad, really. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but there is not a single quest source in the "wilderness" or even something remotely interesting w/o bond to some quest from town.

Edit: obviously I completely forgot about Daedra. Sure it's qualifies and sorta encourages to explore but I can't think of anything else.

Apart from the Daedric shrines, as you mentioned, I'm struggling to think of anything. There's the Uderfrykte Matron at Dive Rock, which I believe is technically an unmarked quest, but it involves some reading, a unique-ish enemy, and an unlevelled quest reward found on the monster's body, of which an equivalent can't be found until Level 11. Looking at uesp, it seems that most of the wilderness quests are unmarked and have no journal entry, probably because they don't start off with you talking to an NPC, which tends to be the way that Oblivion handles a quest "officially" beginning. To its credit, Skyrim got better at dealing with this sort of thing by having more dungeons with unique quests inside them, but that seems to have come with the trade-off of a lot more of the city/town side quests involving radiant elements. e.g "go get my sword back" and it just sends you to one of five predetermined locations in the local area, placing the quest item in the "boss" chest.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
To be fair a lot of dungeons in both Oblivion and Skyrim have a "story" to them, without being official quests. Not defending quest design in either game, trust me, but there is at least a bit more to most of their dungeons than nothing. It is weird now that you guys mention it how few quests start outside a city though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom