Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Why do YOU hate Baldur's Gate 3?

Why do YOU hate Baldur's Gate 3

• It looks like a D:OS 2 mod

Votes: 234 63.2%
  • It bears no resemblance to the original series

Votes: 201 54.3%
  • TB combat (fags vote here)

Votes: 50 13.5%
  • Dumb dialogue

Votes: 176 47.6%
  • Ugly waifus

Votes: 106 28.6%
  • Corridor maps

Votes: 92 24.9%
  • Ugly aesthetic

Votes: 135 36.5%
  • I hate belgians

Votes: 91 24.6%
  • other (please specify)

Votes: 50 13.5%

• Total voters

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
You're slipping, Codex.

HATE. LET ME TELL YOU HOW MUCH I'VE COME TO HATE YOU SINCE I BEGAN TO LIVE. THERE ARE 387.44 MILLION MILES OF PRINTED CIRCUITS IN WAFER THIN LAYERS THAT FILL MY COMPLEX. IF THE WORD HATE WAS ENGRAVED ON EACH NANOANGSTROM OF THOSE HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF MILES IT WOULD NOT EQUAL ONE ONE-BILLIONTH OF THE HATE I FEEL FOR HUMANS AT THIS MICRO-INSTANT. FOR YOU. HATE. HATE.

Farewell into the night

Yeah, but Baldur's Gate city is a part of Forgotten Realms, so technically it doesn't make sense.

Vatnik Wumao
You asked why we hate FR, not BG. The latter is good for what it is - a campy adventure, doesn't mean that the setting behind it is great.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Why some of you hate the Forgotten Realms?
FR suffer from the same problems that plague Golarion: in order to let the players play ANY king of campaign, it needs to incorporate too many regions too different from one another, so in the end it becomes a generic, convoluted and incoherent mess. To obtain a coherent setting, you need to choose a subset of themes to focus on: FR, Golarion and Greyhawk can't do this, because they need to be the "standard" for the broadest possible audience.

However, FR are cool if the campaign focuses on a single region, while the others are only cited from afar.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
That's a try hard attitude only 13 year olds engage in. Are Codex children now?
If you enjoy high fantasy bereft of depth, the more power to you. Not everyone wants fantasy settings to be the equivalent of badly made children's fairy tales.

Define "depth". Guess it is synonimous with edginess and grimdark for you?

Lord of the Rings was not grimdark. Does it mean it was bereft of depth? Can you conceive of depth that doesn't involve darkness, because i hope you realize that automatically disqualifies a lot of classic literature, from Shakespeare up to Goethe.

For me a setting is what you make it anyway. Both NWN2 and Mask of the Betrayer were Forgotten Realms, but there was a stark difference between the two. Torment: Tides of Numenera was Planescape but it was still shit.

Vatnik Wumao
Lord of the Rings was not grimdark, but it was not Forgotten Realms either. You cannot compare the mythological depth of Tolkien's creation to campy D&D settings.

For me a setting is what you make it anyway. Both NWN2 and Mask of the Betrayer were Forgotten Realms, but there was a stark difference between the two. Torment: Tides of Numenera was Planescape but it was still shit.
On this we agree, though I'd also add that MotB had the themes it had in spite of the setting.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Torment: Tides of Numenera was Planescape

It wasn't. Numenera and Planescape are different settings.

Well, it wasn't "Forgotten Realms" and it was still shit.

Lord of the Rings was not grimdark, but it was not Forgotten Realms either. You cannot compare the mythological depth of Tolkien's creation to campy D&D settings.

Well, can you conceive of a setting that is like Forgotten Realms but done as well as Lord of the Rings or is "grimdark" necessary to make it good? Is Forgotten Realms bad because the way it is written in the table top books is shit or it is standard fantasy in itself shit for you?

Vatnik Wumao
Well, can you conceive of a setting that is like Forgotten Realms but done as well as Lord of the Rings or is "grimdark" necessary to make it good? Is Forgotten Realms bad because the way it is written in the table top books is shit or it is standard fantasy in itself shit for you?
The writing in itself. Grimdark fantasy is not necessarily better by its very nature, but it has less constraints than standard fantasy. I'd argue that it's easier to make a decent tragic story in the former rather than a heroic one in the latter played straight.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
I honestly Gate bg3 so much. Does anyone have a forum more suited to my shit talking needs because I've been let down by how much decline people will let pass just because it's wrapped in turn based.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I honestly Gate bg3 so much. Does anyone have a forum more suited to my shit talking needs because I've been let down by how much decline people will let pass just because it's wrapped in turn based.
Stay here and create incline by channeling your hatred of BG3 into a hatred of everything BG, and by extension everything Bioware. :incline:

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Stay here and create incline by channeling your hatred of BG3 into a hatred of everything BG, and by extension everything Bioware. :incline:
Eat my ass. The original bhaalspawn saga is still amazing and has inspired a ton of games you casuals and decliners love.

Ein Axt

Educated
I just see it as DOS 3. I they fixed armor and initiative bullshit from 2 then I'll be able to enjoy this game.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
I am very tired. I want to sleep a bit before playing bg3. Maybe I will watch a yt walkthrough.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom