Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why do YOU hate Gothic 3?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I was just replaying all the PB games in preparation for ELEX and got curious about why people hate Gothic 3. I know that the game have a lot of problems,but still have one of the best rpg worlds to explore and the best PB bow shooting.

ShaggyMoose

Savant
I very much remember hating the original retail release which I bought on day one, because it was fundamentally broken in so many ways. After applying the community fixes and playing through again a few years later (still prior to Forsaken Gods), I found it a serviceable if slightly aimless RPG that was heavy on the exploration (which I thoroughly enjoy), but still with a lot of half-assed systems and performance issues.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't hate it. I didn't even hate the initial bugginess where, for one example, watersurfaces in barrells would render on top of everything; you could see the blue disc it through walls and NPC's.

I had decent fun with it back then, but it wasn't very impressive or memorable.

Dux

Arcane
Because it's inane and pointless, even with the admirable effort of the inofficial patch. Whereas Gothic I & II actually had some kind of pressing and involving narrative, Gothic III is basically just you exploring a big boring world. The conflicts portrayed in the game are a result of the status quo and is an issue for armies and generals, rather than some random tourist running around. Xardas is doing his own thing in buttfuck nowhere - a metaphor of how the game basically doesn't care what you do. When you actually reach him after wading through so much bullshit, he's not really bothered at all. You have factions fighting each other over something that doesn't even concern you. You can walk freely into Orc towns because they're just another faction. As long as you don't cause trouble, they won't bother you. Which says it all, really. What the hell is the point? Later on you can make some choices regarding your allegiance but still I must stress: why? Just why? What's your incentive, exactly? Topple the entire Orc occupation on your own? Conquer cities using facepalm tactics because you're literally fighting entire military regiments by yourself? I don't know - it's just vapid. There's no fucking reason to do anything, other than to sate your own curiosity I guess. Even then there's not a whole lot to say. Poor loot system, no real antagonist and fights that often tend to balloon into complete clusterfucks. I gave up playing shortly after meeting Xardas. His indifference just took the last bit of air out of me. I felt like a fool playing the game for as long as I did, just waiting for something interesting to happen.

Gothic is better when it's more compact and detailed. Gothic II perfected it, widening the scope but still keeping the experience concentrated and rich. Exploring the world in Gothic III was deceptive at times. I confess I was curious at some point running through forests and open fields, looking in every nook and cranny; but there's nothing there, really. Just a few apples or arrows in a chest somewhere, or wine that you can make mana potions with. Big fucking deal.

Mikeal

Arcane
Because it's boring game, with boring combat, repetitive missions (reach some city, choose side, do some pointless quests, liberate town with hobos or kill them with help of orcs, go to the next town and do same thing again. To the end of game). Writing lost balls, everything is bland and unsatisfying. Also orcs army defeated kingdom regular army, yet Bezi and some slaves are able to liberate entire kingdom (I know that guerrilla is pretty effective against occupants, but we never create a proper uprising in game). Combat is broken you can easily killed commando of orcs and their sidekicks but two wolfs will ganbang you to death. Also hero is to OP, you can practically go in every place (except areas with wolves) from the beginning. Graphicly game loos worse than Gothic 1&2, there's no style or atmosphere. Same with music. I know it's not true but during playing G3 I had felling that Piranha Bytes tried to make their own version of Oblivion. I played this game 3 times. First time I reached Monterra and I quitted. Second time I left Ardea and I quitted. Third time I saw main menu and I quitted. This is boring, soulless, bland game. Also polish version isn't so :obviously: as in two first games.

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
drOiXSQ.jpg

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Eh, I finished it. Some reasons to hate it:
* Very, very poorly optimized graphically. My system was constantly overheating/close to overheating even on low frame rates. Eventually this was patched, but it only helped so much
* Wolves you couldn't kill until you had a spear, then they were ridiculously easy.
* Infinite inventory, shit tons to loot, the same stuff over and over. Think I finished with 90 ladles
* Dragged on. I like hiking simulators as much as the next guy, but it just. dragged. on. Not a lot of new stuff to find.
* Game dramatically sped up with those teleport stones, but they are the size of a bottle cap in FO:NV. If you missed one, well, sucks to be you
* The ending was pretty meh. After all that, not much of an ending, and they brought in characters who spoke to me like I knew them, and only with about 5% of the game left. I had no idea who these NPCs were.

There were some fun parts, and the story was ok. I'd place it as a solid Two Worlds II/10

ortucis

Prophet
I don't, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Also, I completed it with official patches (unofficial patches didn't exist then). Stuff like stun lock or so called "balance" issues never bothered me. Game did crash 3-4 times in all the time I spent in-game, but that's it.

Tigranes

Arcane
I like it, but

(1) it was fuckbuggy on release
(2) it's exactly 3 times bigger than it should be and the desert/ice areas basically become MMOs
(3) the game in general suffers from this MMOification

However, as a kind of Gothic-lite, it's still fun as hell to take on entire cities and I guess it looks better and better once R2/3 came out

ortucis

Prophet
I like it, but

(2) it's exactly 3 times bigger than it should be and the desert/ice areas basically become MMOs

However, as a kind of Gothic-lite, it's still fun as hell to take on entire cities and I guess it looks better and better once R2/3 came out

There is no MMO-fication. If you want that, go play Amalur. That is what an MMO as a SP feels like.

Gothic 3 had the right size for the game world, which is what I loved. I really enjoyed exploring it all, running around, never got bored of it (considering I've finished it like 4 times over the years).

When you make a third person RPG, there is always a risk of making the whole world feel artificial by making it small. Dragon Age: Inquisition is a good example. The levels at first look big but then you can see the end of the map, making it all feel artificially small. I wouldn't care if it was a top down game, but in a third person game? Fuck no.

Tigranes

Arcane
I like it, but

There is no MMO-fication. If you want that, go play Amalur. That is what an MMO as a SP feels like.

Gothic 3 had the right size for the game world, which is what I loved. I really enjoyed exploring it all, running around, never got bored of it (considering I've finished it like 4 times over the years).

When you make a third person RPG, there is always a risk of making the whole world feel artificial by making it small. Dragon Age: Inquisition is a good example. The levels at first look big but then you can see the end of the map, making it all feel artificially small. I wouldn't care if it was a top down game, but in a third person game? Fuck no.

At some point, when you realise this is the 20th kill some wolves and bring back some apples quest, they stop being a part of a greater whole like they usually are in Gothic. It's less about entirely corrupted features and more about how the balance of the different parts got skewed as they made the game superbig.

In the desert, you have some classic Gothic gameplay in that first town... and then you realise you're running for minutes at a time across literally a desert killing the occasional critter. At that point there's not a huge sense of precarity either. Then you find some tomb and there's a million skeletons. It just doesn't feel like much of anything.

Comparing with Amalur is like saying at least it's better than Superman 64.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Combat is broken you can easily killed commando of orcs and their sidekicks but two wolfs will ganbang you to death. Also hero is to OP, you can practically go in every place (except areas with wolves) from the beginning.

I think you need to install the unofficial patch and ramp up the difficulty, so that humanoids don't wait patiently for you to finish their companions in honorable 1vs1 duels, but rather join the fray.

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
It's okay. At least as good as the earlier Gothics although it shares their crap combat, wooden animations, and general sense of cheapness. Not as good as Risen 1, which is by far the most tolerable of PB's games.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
I thought people liked Gothic 3 but not the expansion. I thought Arcania was the one people didn't like.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
I like it, but

For me, exploring in a 1st/3rd person game starts out good and just takes a shit after maybe the first quarter if I'm lucky. Going to do A and seeing all the shit you should explore along the way turns from fun, to not fun, to a huge drag. It could be because these games are usually loot pinatas and looting something every 2 steps gets real tedious real quick, coupled with loot bloat and less need for selling and/or money usually after the first quarter of these games and it turns from exploring into a formulaic grind.

I think a good way to fix this is make loot much rarer and keep the player dirt poor. Make it so I want to find new places to find some things I can use or sell. Make it so I care about what I loot instead of just looting everything because 99.9% of everything is stupid filler shit for kids with attention surplus disorder and serves no function besides destroying the economy and making everything about the game a hassle.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I like it, but

For me, exploring in a 1st/3rd person game starts out good and just takes a shit after maybe the first quarter if I'm lucky. Going to do A and seeing all the shit you should explore along the way turns from fun, to not fun, to a huge drag. It could be because these games are usually loot pinatas and looting something every 2 steps gets real tedious real quick, coupled with loot bloat and less need for selling and/or money usually after the first quarter of these games and it turns from exploring into a formulaic grind.

I think a good way to fix this is make loot much rarer and keep the player dirt poor. Make it so I want to find new places to find some things I can use or sell. Make it so I care about what I loot instead of just looting everything because 99.9% of everything is stupid filler shit for kids with attention surplus disorder and serves no function besides destroying the economy and making everything about the game a hassle.

As much as I love diablo clones their loot mechanics never should've left that subgenre.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom