Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why Do YouTubers and Access Media Shill for Mediocre Games?: A Theory

blrrmmmff

Scholar
To be fair, he kinda has a point with objectivity. You got games that are objectively terrible, usually because they are unfinished, buggy with terrible production values. But a lot of at least decent games in terms of production values, it is very subjective how good they are, and depends on how many games you played previously, your taste etc.

Take the Last of Us. I had not played video games in years, I was not really used to the newer graphics, due to being busy with other things and losing interest in video games. So I bought a PlayStation and played this game and was blown away by it. Thought it was a pretty amazing game. But if you played a ton of games right before this, it would probably merely be a decent game at most. As it did not really innovate much.

Then take Red Dead Redemption 2, when this came out I had played a lot of games previously, and I was bored stiff by this game. It felt like a horse riding simulator, and I did not like the low FPS. But I can see how someone with less gaming experience can be blown away by it.

That is why I think those studios have gotten away with so much crap, an influx of new players that are a lot less critical. Imagine playing a far cry or call of duty game for the first time when you have played barely any video games in your life. You will probably be blown away. Even though I would probably rate them 3/10. So IMO there is hope for an incline, as the gaming industry is maturing. You can see it happening already, you can see more and more unhappy gamers on reddit for example, complaining that there is no innovation and games are often repetitive.

The problem is that game journalists rate every game as if you are playing video games for the first time. And focus too much on production values. Of course every new Call of Duty game would deserve a high score then.

Inspectah

Savant
Influencers are a very new phenom on the communication field of research, but it resembles a lot the old television talking head (don't know the name in english for the theory) that they came up with in the 50s-60s where information is given to a "respected" person, that then goes on to spread such information with added credibility.
Only instead of respected people, influencers are just meme shitheads +M

Owl

Cipher
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Influencers are a very new phenom on the communication field of research, but it resembles a lot the old television talking head (don't know the name in english for the theory) that they came up with in the 50s-60s where information is given to a "respected" person, that then goes on to spread such information with added credibility.

Pundit?

Pundit?

Shill?
Shrilly shills?
Synonymously-associated fecal-layered marketing tools?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom