Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why end 80s/earlier 90s JRPG's so different than modern ones?

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Unrelated to your agenda, but I really like the feeling of progression in Shin Megami Tensei and SMT: Persona games. You start the game with a Pixie, a Jack Frost and a Preta maybe. The dreg of human mythology, lesser house spirits which dont amount to much.
Then you progress in the game and get actual mythological figures. You aquire lesser angels, then seraphim until you are using archangels. Your fairies become Oberon and Titania. You capture Odin, Zeus, Vishnu, Cherboborg and Belial up to Satan himself.
In the end you have gone from a second rate necromancer with third rate demons to carrying a crude mashup of the strongest gods from all cultures of mankind with you.

Anonona

Learned
This type of progression is amazing in ANY game. What i also don't like on most JRPG's is that you start the game with a androgynous teenager with a oversized sword and end the game with it. And few more combos and "materias" but look to Gothic melee progression. When Bezi start the game, he barely can hold a weapon. IF he pays someone to teach him one handed, his stance and moveset changes accordingly. On end game, he is ludicrous overpowered and the sense of power is amazing because you ran in fear many times to survive.

What a strawman. I specially love how learning new moves, spells and the like is just some "combos and materia" when it comes to JRPGs, but in Gothic is all this new "fighting" style and feeling of being overpower. Big news, both are the same fucking shit. Let's use FF7, as it seems you have a particular bone to pick with that game seeing as you mention "materias". So you are telling me, that going from basic, shitty, single target spells and hitting like a wet paper tissue, to using the most powerful of spells like Ultima, summonings that do ludicrous amount of damage, being able to nullify all damage and more is just ending exactly how you started? Customizing your spells through special materias isn't satisfying? Also is very funny you mention about "fear of survival" as FF7 has actually many instances of this that make sense in-story. The serpent outside of Midgar, the Weapons, Sephirot himself when you get to play as him in a flashback and get to experience the ridiculous difference of power between the player and him, without mentioning the numerous areas you can travel on the overworld before you are supposed to and get killed by monsters too powerful, hell is very neath how many of these can be beaten either through specific strategies, good character building or good old grinding to get stronger. By endgame, while Cloud does still uses a sword all time, you can easily make him a mage, healer, thief and more with the right materia.

And this only on FF7. Without going to far away, in FF1, FF3, FF5 and FF12 you character can be whatever the fuck you want thanks to the job system/board system. Want a party full of mages? You can have it. All monks? That too. Want guns? That too!. And this is only speaking about mainline FF, the most mainstream saga of JRPGs with a focus on narrative and specific characters. And modern JRPGs with good party/character customization exists too, some even quite famous like Bravely Default, Octopath Traveler, Xenoblade Chronicles X. Even a fucking mobile phone game, a "gacha" game like Granblue Fantasy allows you to make your own party and make the main protagonist any class you want. Even that fucking shit. Of course if you have no fucking clue what are you talking about and make disingenuous and uninformed post like yours, generalizing the whole genre by a few examples, then I can see how all JRPGs are the same to you. I can do it too! All CRPGs are riddle with propaganda, ugly characters, boring protagonist with no personality, all carbon copies of older games, all are the same D&D shit or derivative without an onze of though or originality put into its design. Now I guess I will go an open a thread on the General section!

Dark Souls is a JRPG where you can progress with your character and thus is extremely more rewarding than just having your character progressing.

Did you have a stroke here? What the fuck did you mean by this, "journalist" level nonsense? The only way you can progress with your character is if you become more proficient with the game. Big news, all RPGs do that. You learn the system as your character becomes stronger, and use better tactics in combat. If it is an ARPG, you also get more skilled and react faster, have better timing and knows how to perform your move set.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Unrelated to your agenda, but I really like the feeling of progression in Shin Megami Tensei and SMT: Persona games. You start the game with a Pixie, a Jack Frost and a Preta maybe. The dreg of human mythology, lesser house spirits which dont amount to much.
Then you progress in the game and get actual mythological figures. You aquire lesser angels, then seraphim until you are using archangels. Your fairies become Oberon and Titania. You capture Odin, Zeus, Vishnu, Cherboborg and Belial up to Satan himself.
In the end you have gone from a second rate necromancer with third rate demons to carrying a crude mashup of the strongest gods from all cultures of mankind with you.

Amazing thing. Is it a P$3/P$4/P$5 exclusive?

That sound extremely cool.

Without going to far away, in FF1, FF3, FF5 and FF12 you character can be whatever the fuck you want thanks to the job system/board system

Thanks. Now that i finished FF1, i will check FF3/5, 12 i played long time ago on P$2 and hated Van.

All CRPGs are riddle with propaganda, ugly characters, boring protagonist with no personality, all carbon copies of older games, all are the same D&D shit or derivative without an onze of though or originality put into its design. Now I guess I will go an open a thread on the General section!

D&D is the most popular tabletop game since the 70s until WoTC decided to wowfy it with 4e and 4e luckly bough pathfinder to us. About ugly characters with no personality, check the two images bellow. VV from VtMB and Triss Merigold from Witcher.

fjytc1e847931.jpg

15fee942b8afe93e7c412459efdf1096.jpg

My avatar at moment uses Xardas from Gothic. He is not boring with no personality or a carbon copy. He is a guy with his own anti deity agenda and morally ambiguous.

Did you have a stroke here? What the fuck did you mean by this, "journalist" level nonsense? The only way you can progress with your character is if you become more proficient with the game. Big news, all RPGs do that. You learn the system as your character becomes stronger, and use better tactics in combat. If it is an ARPG, you also get more skilled and react faster, have better timing and knows how to perform your move set.

Dark Souls is far more dependent on player skill than character skill than other ARPG's. That was my point. On Gothic 1, there are enemies where you can't deal any damage due his high armor on beginning of the game. The same won't happen on dark souls. You can beat the game with soul level 1.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
Amazing thing. Is it a P$3/P$4/P$5 exclusive?

That sound extremely cool.

The Shin Megami Tensei games and their Persona spinoffs are exclusive to Sonys and Nintendos consoles Yes.
Persona is the light hearted mainstream spinoff where you only summon the demons in strange metaphysical realms and are a normal highschooler by day doing stuff like dating and making friends. Shin Megami Tensei is where everything is fucked and crawling with demons and you actually summon them into the real world.
If you decide to try them Shin Megami Tensei 3 Nocturne (Lucifers Call in Europe) will be the one you will probably like most. Finding the ROMs is not that hard, I dont think I am allowed to link anything on the Kodex.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I looked into a SMT 3 video and honestly, isn't bad. I mean, the greatest problem is the ultra slow animations. If i can play with a TURBO mode(like i played FF1), i would gave a try. But slow animations and tactics of everyone from team A and B in a single line is not engaging.

Here is a SMT video that i saw

Now Dark Sun. You have positioning, is not just a line of players and enemies

--------------------------------------

I played Dirge of Cerberus some time ago and remember that a guy took away a materia that allowed Vincent to control easier chaos in a part of the game. it has ZERO impact on game mechanics. Vincent doesn't become more prone to frenzy like a vampire with almost no blood and low humanity on VtMB, nor any increase of the limit breaker duration. On BG2 you can get the Slayer form and use the Slayer form has consequences and can trivialize certain encounters.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
I looked into a SMT 3 video and honestly, isn't bad. I mean, the greatest problem is the ultra slow animations. If i can play with a TURBO mode(like i played FF1), i would gave a try. But slow animations and tactics of everyone from team A and B in a single line is not engaging.

Everyone here knows the difference between Wizardry-style combat and the tactical RPGs, you don't have to illustrate the difference with videos. If you want to try SMT but cannot tolerate the Wizardry-like combat you can try Devil Survivor 1&2.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Everyone here knows the difference between Wizardry-style combat and the tactical RPGs, you don't have to illustrate the difference with videos. If you want to try SMT but cannot tolerate the Wizardry-like combat you can try Devil Survivor 1&2.

I accept line A vs B on very old games, on first person dungeon crawlers and so on, but this with really slow animations kills any game for me. Anyway, thanks for you answer, i will look into Devil Survivor 1/2. I played a little of FF2 and even FF2 has a front line and a back line. So you can let your healer on back healing and only spells and bows can hit him.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron

--------------------------------------

I played Dirge of Cerberus some time ago and remember that a guy took away a materia that allowed Vincent to control easier chaos in a part of the game. it has ZERO impact on game mechanics. Vincent doesn't become more prone to frenzy like a vampire with almost no blood and low humanity on VtMB, nor any increase of the limit breaker duration. On BG2 you can get the Slayer form and use the Slayer form has consequences and can trivialize certain encounters.

The NTSC version of SMT 3 runs at 60 fps, the PAL version at 50 fps. Gamespeed is tied to framerate in that game so the NTSC version is 20% faster. If you get Lucifers Call you get the option to choose.
Still you must be the first person in existance to complain that SMT 3 has too slow combat. The game has very low hp combat where 2-3 clean hits can kill any non boss demon, including you. The animations for all abilties tend to be sub 1 second and cut very cleanly into each other. Searching various combinations of SMT 3 and slow gets nothing about combat speed, only pacing complaints about smt 4 usually. Have you ever played Wizardry 8? That is a slow game, I am running two speedhacks simulatously to make it bareble.

Are you sure you arent grasphing for strawmen for your "Modern JRPG Bad" argument at this point?

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Are you sure you arent grasphing for strawmen for your "Modern JRPG Bad" argument at this point?

You are right but only to nitpick. Modern RPG's sucks. This applies to JRPG's and WRPG's.

I just realized that i should to learn more about JRPG's before criticize then. So i will check more SMT games. And FF 5.

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
Something happened in the 90s that caused everything made in Japan to turn to shit. Don't believe me? Just look at modern anime.

Well, Japanese nerd media in general has declined in terms of overall quality because creators were inspired by superior source material, like global literature's best war novels (everything from the Iliad to Parade's End)

Now the new crop of creators are the kids who spent their time playing games and watching anime instead of reading the Iliad, so all they can do in cannibalize and regurgitate the old ideas without fully realizing or appreciating the deeper meaning and relevance of these ideas.

My hypothesis is basically the same, dbz gave two decades of Japanese children autism and then they entered the workforce turning anime and vidyagaming to shiet.

More of the same, really. The circumstances, degrees, and process differ a lot in the details, though.

All media is developed with age groups in mind (PG, PG-13, R, etc) with a lot of effort going into devising ways to expand the appeal to other age groups (such as Pixar PG films having a lot of adult humor and subtext). In Japan, genre in terms of age is more strongly defined into Shonen, Seinen, Shojo, and Josei, basically:

Shonen: 14 years old boys, averaged
Seinen: 18-30+ boys/men
Shojo: 14 year old girls, averaged
Josei: 14-30+ girls/women

The prevalence of these four genres isn't equal, though. Japan suffers from a phenomenon where Shonen (basically stuff for boys on the same thematic depth as a Michael Bay film) is the golden standard of entertainment, with the broadest appeal among other genders and age groups outside the intended demographic of 14 year old boys.

These concepts don't translate well into foreign ideas of age demographics, but in comparison, the West is far more inclined toward Seinen (not really good Seinen so much, though).

Video games actually held out the longest, but eventually, the "Shonen Creep" ushered in by DBZ began to affect them as well (compare classic Fire Emblem games through the GBA or even the Wii to Awakening or Fates, games that have abandoned any pretension of serious war drama to be fully and totally Shonen to the point of rendering their material as absurd self parodies).

Western media nowadays is more mature in terms of content and mood, but equally dumb for the most part (so, bad Seinen).

Everything goes to shit for the same reason: In the beginning, there is nothing and so people shotgun out a ton of ideas. Most of which are shit and quickly forgotten, but if you throw enough shit at the wall, some of it sticks.

That which sticks spawns endless unoriginal imitations thereof, and this is how you get a "genre".

Penty of good causes behind the decline of japanese pop-culture, pretty much all of them already cited in this thread.

- inferior source material : commoditized, industrialized cultural crap won the war and replaced classics at homes and at schools, with autistics kids from now on reading Harry Potter instead of Steinbeck, Verne or Ernst Junger's Storms of Steel from 2001 onward. Votoms, Gundam or Nadia Secret of Blue Water were all inspired by litterature's best; today, the best you can expect is another light novel adaptation where idiot oniichan must manage a harem of stereotyped cretins.
- design by committee has become the rule; at the same time, we have less and less original works, pretty much everything is an adaptation of the LN or a manga. All of this mean less and less creative agency for directors and scenarist to work out their own ideas.

But here is my point. On WRPG's, i can be anything. From a knight impaling enemies with my horse and spear to a lich. I don't see the same variety on "JRPGs"

I think there is an element of truth to this.

gOIunts.jpg

7KZzR3x.jpg

I think earlier in JRPG history, the two genres had not yet diverged very far. The creators of Ultima and Wizardry like Richard Garriot were mobbed in Japan like rock stars apparently. That is how warmly Ultima and Wizardry were received. Japan used to import translated D&D type books and modify them for use in school groups, etc, leading to early fantasy settings like the 'Lodoss War', directly inspired by tabletop experiences. The same way that major fantasy novels have been inspired by long running pen-and-paper campaigns in the west. Additionally earlier anime used to bypass the TV industry and sell niche products directly to Japanese consumers via OVAs. Look at how early Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy and Phantasy Star were really not too different from early CRPGs like Ultima, Wizardry and Might & Magic:

kGXrR8b.png

Ultima IV (1985)

MhquRAM.png

Dragon Quest (1986)

XU9nSky.png

Wizardry V (1987)

4u327xu.png

Phantasy Star (1987)

MPTMfvb.jpg

Might and Magic II (1988)

Dragon Quest was basically Ultima. Final Fantasy was basically Ultima. Phantasy Star had a science fantasy setting like Might & Magic. Shin Megami Tensei used the Wizardry first person perspective. Many franchises still included elements of choice, character generation, and blind exploration, rather than hemming people into a choiceless stagnant world like many modern JRPGs. I previously discussed, in a thread about JRPG towns, how not everything in JRPGs is bad, I think they sometimes grasp the 'spiritual' symbolic side of the fantasy genre better than western RPGs in some cases. But, I think that JRPGs and Japanese anime do indeed have a problem where they just seem to lack naturalism any more, although the level varies.

The naturalism of the characters has declined with the appearance of anime tropes in place of real emotional insight. The naturalism of the gameplay, like being able to die from a normal enemy, having a world to explore, has declined. It's not universal, but it's noticeable in the big franchises that the press rave about.

NATURALISM noun
(in art and literature) a style and theory of representation based on the accurate depiction of detail.
"his attack on naturalism in TV drama"
the philosophical belief that everything arises from natural properties and causes, and supernatural or spiritual explanations are excluded or discounted.
"this romanticized attitude to the world did conflict with his avowed naturalism"

yX5SDMa.jpg

Hayao Miyazaki, I think, was getting at this in his criticism of anime. Watch an early Ghibli film, say 'Laputa: Caste in the Sky', and the heroine expresses herself with a wide range of emotions, which are subdued, and natural. No manga sweat beads, nose bleeds, or giant angry heads yelling. The physics of the vehicles is fairly realistic, albeit fantastical. This comes from classic literacy, and emotional literacy. Now in contrast... watch a modern anime... and within the first episode a male will accidentally trip up, land in a girl's shower room, and get kicked in the face by the heroine while she screams or something. I tried to watch a modern anime that was getting okay reviews - Netflix's 'Knights of Sidonia' - since it was written by Tsutomu Nihei. I think by episode two, for the 10,000th time I saw that scene happen again, and turned that shit off. Did it have merit further in? I'll never know, since it was so painfully boring. Why not a novel reaction for once from the girl? Like not caring about being seen? How about a mature response? She was a fucking combat soldier, but reacted less like Vasquez from Aliens, and more like a pampered reality-show star. Because modern anime became a set of about 100 stock reactions linked together with no insight into their origins. Modern anime is like a simulacrum of something that once had some genuine emotional insight fueling it.

SIMULACRUM noun
plural noun: simulacra
  1. an image or representation of someone or something.
    "a small-scale simulacrum of a skyscraper"
    • an unsatisfactory imitation or substitute.
      "a bland simulacrum of American soul music"
I think western games and entertainment also suffer from decline, but in the western case, entertainment is generally more naturalistic, and the decline comes in an area that JRPGs tend to be more literate in - story and themes.

A simulacrum is defined as a copy of a copy of a copy, in which the original point or meaning or value of the first work is progressively lost by the new custodians, through each progressive misunderstanding - this is a problem, but not just with Japanese stuff, there are plenty of western franchises suffering from simulacra. Iron Man, is basically decent, pretty close to the source material of the 60s comics, it renders them faithfully to screen, updates the science as realistically as can be expected without violating the constraints of the original material, innovates just the right amount for it's purposes, and the MCU is handled by someone who understands the material - Kevin Feige - so it is a pretty good simulacra. The Mandalorian is another example of an excellent simulacra, where creators understand the material. In contrast, I think JJ Abrams didn't really understand Star Trek well when making the 2009 reboot, or it's sequel Into Darkness, so it almost came off like a parody, that seemed strangely embarrassed by it's own history. You can't throw out the the original Horatio Horblower type Age of Sail aesthetic without compromising the entire source material - you must love what you work on, accept it's character without embarrassment - complete with it's Victorian attitudes about spreading the Federation's space-enlightenment, in Star Trek's case. Star Trek is in heavy decline. How does this relate to western games? Plenty of western games do Tolkien, but don't really understand Tolkien.

kU6QIXI.png

Lagrange Point (NES)

gsEtoyh.jpg

Front Mission (SNES)

NcaR9IM.png

Devil Summoner (PS2)

6ihIew4.png

Strange Journey (DS)

Like was discussed in another thread, you do occasionally get JRPGs still that deal with odd themes or have different gameplay, although they were more common during the PS2 era. Early JRPGs should be of more interest to CRPG players because they often just drop you in an unfamiliar world without knowing what to do, so thats quite appealing if you are sick of knowing everything in every Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest and Tales game. But overall, I do feel there has been a tendency for JRPGs to become more and more confined in terms of exploration and to experiment less. Starting up a game like Tales of Vesperia or Dragon Quest XI, everything is sealed off and you are shepherded bit by bit everywhere - you basically have no choice in where you go, its honestly really claustrophobic - Phantasy Star 1 in contrast feels open and unfamiliar. So maybe back when Japan was closer to the pen and paper roots of the original RPG genre, and anime experimented more, it made games that were more naturalistic, in both story and gameplay terms. Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy and Phantasy Star were more experimental between entries, sometimes allowing class choice, other aspects of CHARGEN, and letting you explore blind.

The problem isn't just with JRPGs though.

---

Off topic:

I have a pet hate; too much ornamentation in fantasy games.

FZoGwsF.jpg
vs.
u2SHccZ.png

I think modern JRPGs and anime often lack any restraint. Sometimes less is more. The absence of things can tell you as much as the pretense of things. Japan is traditionally known for restrained and tasteful art, but is known for making really gaudy shit when it comes to fantasy. I think when games can't get a good handle on what makes fantasy interesting, the creators tend to try to cram in as much of what they think is cool, without context, to make up for the lack of substance. Sometimes graphics artists just need to maybe be told "enough". This goes for East and West. Compare the a less naturalistic work with a more naturalistic one, say, modern Final Fantasy vs. Demon Souls. In one, they seem to add ornamentation to everything, to the point where you just suffer detail overload, and in the other, it presented a very restrained and atmospheric approximation of medieval warfare.

p613bGh.jpg

Fluted armor is very functional, and was really worn in combat. The ribbing increases structural integrity by without too much extra weight. The curvature deflects Newtonian force in weapon blows by turning the force away from the perpendicular. There is no ostentation adding weight. A suit of medieval plate armor weighed 20-25 kg. This was spread over the wearer's entire musculoskeletal frame so that individual muscle groups would not have to lift too much. But what happens when you show an anime protagonist wearing really impractical armor? Somewhere in your mind, your subconscious physics engine that has been taking experimental data in it's entire life, tells you "Hold the fuck on, I estimate that weights about 40-50kg, so how is he able to move like a ballerina?" "Are people in this franchise mean to have superhuman strength?" "If so, why can't he rip a door off it's hinges?" "The Newtonian momentum of that blade would carry his attack way past the target."

It can be fun in some shonen like Naruto or One Piece. But each copy loses more of the point.

The problem is just as common in the west. Okay.... Modern fantasy RPGs aren't necessarily wrong to make something more fantastical. It could be that the material culture of their world is much more advanced than Renaissance Europe. It could be that they have alloys much lighter, and easier to work with a hammer. But the lack of restraint and over-reliance on spikes and internal lighting effects just homogenizes everything, and means that your work of fiction just lacks any kind of naturalism to pull you into the world. You can suggest a lot through every little choice or aspect of design you make. Hard science fiction suggests real physical principles with it's practical designs. When Tolkien clad the Nazgul in black cloaks, he was trying to hint symbolically at something thematic. What does zillion-spike-glowing-armor suggest other than a lack of imagination or restraint?

3LSAeAx.jpg
AjYYPPs.png
bLjCX3Z.jpg

Partly due to the influence of anime, and partly through the influence of Blizzard, western RPGs get pumped out by the millions for mobile gaming platforms, Steam, etc, without any semblance of restraint either. All Dwarfs must have a Scottish accent despite being based on Anglo-Saxon/Germanic/Scandanavian nature spirits, because WOTC, Games Workshop or Blizzard made a series of Tolkien pastiches in the 80s or 90s that further entrenched one lineage. Orcs now must be a culture, have green skin, etc, because of Warhammer and Warcraft, despite originally being grey-skinned servants of unlife, or representing demonic forces of pollution and chaos. Spikes everywhere. Glowing shit everywhere.

So the decline isn't confined to Japan.

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I wonder how much the advent of 3D graphics influenced the overly complicated designs we have these days. I can't help but feel like somewhere is some guy looking at good designs and saying "No, that doesn't use enough polygons, we need to prove how next-gen we are. Add spikes. Dozens of them. Make them curvy too. And glow, so there's lighting and shadow effects. And make everything glossy to fuck with lighting even more."

Although maybe not, since it seems to be a trend in comics as well. Way too often these days I see a page in a web comic or manga and can't even tell wtf I am looking at. And that's with context. Like, it's great you took the time to draw a hundred and fifty million individual lines to shade everything, but I can't tell if that's blood or some sort of energy and is that guy jumping through the air or you're showing two locations in one shot.. etc. It feels like they're referencing some other scene and they expect me to recognize that it's their weirder version of this thing I've never seen before.

Anonona

Learned
Hayao Miyazaki, I think, was getting at this in his criticism of anime. Watch an early Ghibli film, say 'Laputa: Caste in the Sky', and the heroine expresses herself with a wide range of emotions, which are subdued, and natural. No manga sweat beads, nose bleeds, or giant angry heads yelling. The physics of the vehicles is fairly realistic, albeit fantastical. This comes from classic literacy, and emotional literacy. Now in contrast... watch a modern anime... and within the first episode a male will accidentally trip up, land in a girl's shower room, and get kicked in the face by the heroine while she screams or something. I tried to watch a modern anime that was getting okay reviews - Netflix's 'Knights of Sidonia' - since it was written by Tsutomu Nihei. I think by episode two, for the 10,000th time I saw that scene happen again, and turned that shit off. Did it have merit further in? I'll never know, since it was so painfully boring. Why not a novel reaction for once from the girl? Like not caring about being seen? How about a mature response? She was a fucking combat soldier, but reacted less like Vasquez from Aliens, and more like a pampered reality-show star. Because modern anime became a set of about 100 stock reactions linked together with no insight into their origins. Modern anime is like a simulacrum of something that once had some genuine emotional insight fueling it

I'm sorry but through your whole post you fall both in generalization and straight up idealization of the past. All those cliches of modern anime already existed in the past, and there are quite a lot of new series that doesn't fall on the same shit. It may seem that everything was better before, but is just because the only thing we remember is the few good products, while ignoring the cliche trite and the trash that was sold to appeal to the masses. You can find harem plots, "shower" scenes and all that old shit in very old anime, even before the 90s.

Like was discussed in another thread, you do occasionally get JRPGs still that deal with odd themes or have different gameplay, although they were more common during the PS2 era. Early JRPGs should be of more interest to CRPG players because they often just drop you in an unfamiliar world without knowing what to do, so thats quite appealing if you are sick of knowing everything in every Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest and Tales game. But overall, I do feel there has been a tendency for JRPGs to become more and more confined in terms of exploration and to experiment less. Starting up a game like Tales of Vesperia or Dragon Quest XI, everything is sealed off and you are shepherded bit by bit everywhere - you basically have no choice in where you go, its honestly really claustrophobic - Phantasy Star 1 in contrast feels open and unfamiliar. So maybe back when Japan was closer to the pen and paper roots of the original RPG genre, and anime experimented more, it made games that were more naturalistic, in both story and gameplay terms. Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy and Phantasy Star were more experimental between entries, sometimes allowing class choice, other aspects of CHARGEN, and letting you explore blind.

Well, if you use Tales of and Dragon Quest as your examples, which are two of the oldest, most conservative sagas of games (which is a shame as Tales of was quite innovative on its time), yes, every jrpg is the same. Let's ignore experimental shit like Octopaht Traveler with 8 different starting characters that let you explore as you want, lets ignore Xenoblade Chronicles X which basically let you explore the whole planet at your own leisure (which actually hurts the main story a bit), or the mixing of genres like Persona (visual novel and RPGs), Valkyrie Chronicles (shooter and tactical RPG), Rune Factory (farming simulator and RPG), or strange meta narratives like Bravely Default, Nier and the like, or complex and unique systems like The Last Remnant, or the innovations introduced by games like Disgaea in terms of plot, sense of humor and gameplay. Even small little projects like the Atelier series, which focus just on the life of an alchemist, are very unique. There are also big ass projects like the Trails in the Sky and Cold Steel series which has years of world building coupled with a good and particular combat system. Or throwbacks to classical genres like Etrian Odyssey. The thing is, there has always being wave of garbage, uninspired mainstream shit or just garbage bin jrpgs, is just that the good ones are the one that stick out the most to those that like the genre.

I have a pet hate; too much ornamentation in fantasy games.

FZoGwsF.jpg
vs.
u2SHccZ.png

I think modern JRPGs and anime often lack any restraint. Sometimes less is more. The absence of things can tell you as much as the pretense of things. Japan is traditionally known for restrained and tasteful art, but is known for making really gaudy shit when it comes to fantasy. I think when games can't get a good handle on what makes fantasy interesting, the creators tend to try to cram in as much of what they think is cool, without context, to make up for the lack of substance. Sometimes graphics artists just need to maybe be told "enough". This goes for East and West. Compare the a less naturalistic work with a more naturalistic one, say, modern Final Fantasy vs. Demon Souls. In one, they seem to add ornamentation to everything, to the point where you just suffer detail overload, and in the other, it presented a very restrained and atmospheric approximation of medieval warfare.

While I actually can accept that nowadays many games suffer from a lack of attention to their art direction, this complain I find quite moronic. Of course a Dragoon of FF XIV, a very high fantasy setting, with over the top spells and skill, where gods are summoned each weak and you have to kill them, will have a greater than life look, while Demon souls, a Dark low fantasy setting with a very realistic and pessimistic setting will try to keep things down to earth. Or are you going to say Warhammer 40k's art is shit because they love their overbearing yet amazing designs, from their Space Marines to their incredible dreadnoughts? There is a place for realistic designs, and there is a place for over the top designs, and I would say the Demon soul knight would look out of place in more fantastical, grander than life settings just as much the FF's one would look bad in a more realistic setting.

Also, funny you mention that they have to serve a purpose, the spikes on the dragoon armor is actually stated in-game lore to be used to hurt the dragons that chew on the knights, as well as hurting them if they land over one of them. The game may be MMO trash, but the art direction in general is great, as it has many great artist, including Akihiko Yoshida (Vagrant Story, Final Fantasy Tactics, Final Fantasy XII, Tactics Ogre and more).

Sorry, I just find your naturalistic argument to be little more than pretentious trite. A good designs is good if its fits the tone of the setting and is pleasant to look at, and a superb one will even derive some explanations from the lore of why they look like they do. Also Mizayaki, while good, is overrated as fuck, out of touch and has quite a narrow view of how things should be, as well as being quite "mainstream". Fuck, wasn't Ghibli called at one point "japanese Disney"?

The naturalism of the characters has declined with the appearance of anime tropes in place of real emotional insight. The naturalism of the gameplay, like being able to die from a normal enemy, having a world to explore, has declined. It's not universal, but it's noticeable in the big franchises that the press rave about.

Who the fuck cares nowadays about what journalist rave about nowadays? They shill crap constantly and they don't know jack shit.

Last edited:
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In

You are right but only to nitpick. Modern RPG's sucks. This applies to JRPG's and WRPG's.

I just realized that i should to learn more about JRPG's before criticize then. So i will check more SMT games. And FF 5.

Make sure to also try Final Fantasy Tactics, it has freeform party-making, tactical positioning and very down-to-earth setting, so it should be very attractive to people who normally prefer western games.
You can also be "ultra-powerful wizard" like you always want, but it takes a bit of work. Unfortunately summoning will probably disappoint you since it's a Japanese game and summoning is basically a more powerful spell that takes longer to cast, but deals more damage.

Tigranes

Arcane
There is a place for realistic designs, and there is a place for over the top designs

Yes, exactly. And if we took 90% of the over the top designs today and fired them into the heart of the sun we would finally establish this sensible balance.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Louis_Cypher, thanks a LOT for you answer. I will re watch record of lodoss war and check some games that you mentioned.

Bastard was the first MANGA that i read. And i can't stand most of modern mangas. But modern HQ's are trash too. So yes, the decline is not "japanese only" exists everywhere in the world in different forms.

Western ARt decline : Marven Conan to New Marvel Heroes

iu

iu

Japanese decline.

maxresdefault_8bxu.jpg

BvYSzjx.png

Anyone believe that Marvel New Heroes level of BS could exist 20+ years ago?

For those who doesn't know here is

Machocruz

Arcane
There is a place for realistic designs, and there is a place for over the top designs

Yes, exactly. And if we took 90% of the over the top designs today and fired them into the heart of the sun we would finally establish this sensible balance.
And we'd be left with that 10% that wasn't very OTT in the first place because they are just real world armor with a bit more flair, like ceremonial armor worn as battle armor, or combining armor styles from across various cultures. This is how top designers think, they are always referencing the real world no matter how "grand" the setting.

Anonona

Learned
Louis_Cypher, thanks a LOT for you answer. I will re watch record of lodoss war and check some games that you mentioned.

Bastard was the first MANGA that i read. And i can't stand most of modern mangas. But modern HQ's are trash too. So yes, the decline is not "japanese only" exists everywhere in the world in different forms.

Japanese decline.

maxresdefault_8bxu.jpg

BvYSzjx.png

Look mom! I did it again! I cherry picked examples to make my point! Here, I'll do the same!

Shonen protagonist Now vs Then

Dr-Stone-Shonen-Jump-Plus.jpg

e0fdda3fa78dd13548b74e1c2f7634c3.jpg
And we'd be left with that 10% that wasn't very OTT in the first place because they are just real world armor with a bit more flair, like ceremonial armor worn as battle armor, or combining armor styles from across various cultures. This is how top designers think, they are always referencing the real world no matter how "grand" the setting.

This statement is meaningless. Every design ever is based in real life, even the most outrageous one have some basis on reality. You literally cannot create something from nothing. Top designers just know more about making recognizable, pleasing designs that tell us about the characters or places' story.

Machocruz

Arcane
This statement is meaningless. Every design ever is based in real life, even the most outrageous one have some basis on reality. You literally cannot create something from nothing. Top designers just know more about making recognizable, pleasing designs that tell us about the characters or places' story.

I'm not talking about general visual language but specifically how something designed based on its real world counterpart. The most outrageous armors I've seen in games have no basis in the reality of the kind of armor produced and worn in the real world. They can put one foot long cones and blades all over because they've seen cones and blades, but they haven't seen that in real world attire. That's a far cry from a designer taking real world armor and tweaking the visor or pauldrons a bit.

Last edited:

Anonona

Learned
I'm not talking about general visual language but specifically how something specific is designed based on its real world counterpart. The most outrageous armors I've seen in games have no basis in the reality of the kind of armor produced and worn in the real world. They can put one foot long cones and blades all over because they've seen cones and blades, but they haven't seen that in real world attire. That's a far cry from a designer taking real world armor and tweaking the visor or pauldrons a bit.

While I see your point, I still think it is more about knowing where to shown restrain and where to go over the top in my opinion. I still think you can do interesting designs while adding "crazy" things like blades and spikes, as long as they serve a real purpose on the design, instead of being added without care like some of the designs posted before.

Tigranes

Arcane
I'm not talking about general visual language but specifically how something specific is designed based on its real world counterpart. The most outrageous armors I've seen in games have no basis in the reality of the kind of armor produced and worn in the real world. They can put one foot long cones and blades all over because they've seen cones and blades, but they haven't seen that in real world attire. That's a far cry from a designer taking real world armor and tweaking the visor or pauldrons a bit.

While I see your point, I still think it is more about knowing where to shown restrain and where to go over the top in my opinion. I still think you can do interesting designs while adding "crazy" things like blades and spikes, as long as they serve a real purpose on the design, instead of being added without care like some of the designs posted before.

I'd love to see examples.

When speaking in generalities, sure of course you can do anything in a better and worse way, but that doesn't mean a lot for anything. The general idea is that there's way too much OTT stuff and the 'default' towards it has done a lot more harm than good.

It's also notable that for all the OTT, we actually get more generic conformity in the design. It would be one thing if we abandoned down to earth designs in favour of truly crazy and weird stuff, but no, everyone looks exactly the same in their 800 ton pauldrons.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
In the effort to create better stories they decided to go for better characterization (FF4) so now we get whatever cookie cutter archetype they want us to play as.

Anonona

Learned
I'd love to see examples.

When speaking in generalities, sure of course you can do anything in a better and worse way, but that doesn't mean a lot for anything. The general idea is that there's way too much OTT stuff and the 'default' towards it has done a lot more harm than good.

It's also notable that for all the OTT, we actually get more generic conformity in the design. It would be one thing if we abandoned down to earth designs in favour of truly crazy and weird stuff, but no, everyone looks exactly the same in their 800 ton pauldrons.

Of course, opinions of if they are good designs or not can vary, but I can think of some.

I'll say, for example, Ork from Warhammer 40k

e8266e53d41b0af660afe1001a6541e9.jpg

Their designs are over the top, full of unnecesary things, spikes, mouths, paintings. But their designs are there to evoke a feeling of them being crazy culture obsessed with fighting, making think works by the power of "Wagh!"

From JRPGs, just compare the old art of Langrisser with the new one. While the new is more subdue, it is generic and forgettable, while the old one was charming and pleasing while still being quite a lot more exaggerated.

qDQ6E1y.png

U9dBka1.png

Even things like Planetscape Torment had very weird designs, but they serve a function when creating the aesthetics and setting of the game.

torment-characters.jpg

all.jpg

I think you can find a decent amount of examples of strange and crazy designs being good. But as everything, the majority sucks, and when there is too much of something, it is easier to see. As you yourself have pointed out, nowadays everyone and their mothers go for over designing characters as a substitute for good designs.

Edit: Added more examples

Thorn Set from Dark Souls, both lore reasons to be like it is and game play reasons.

medium.jpg

Ivy from Soul Calibur, one of the few sexy designs that actually has lore justification to be like it is, all while trasmiting the "dominatrix witch" theme very effectively.

latest

Many Monster Hunter's armors, designed to both to fit the over the top nature of the game (hunter using giant swords to kill giant monsters), and to represent from witch monsters they were made, using their horns, claws, scales, etc.

diablos_armor_set_mhw_small.png

dd52505ffc6d122a2be2f3b2c3ea75dbfa1b8a0ar1-800-1280v2_hq.jpg

Last edited:

Machocruz

Arcane
Like I don't think FF dragoon armor is too much, even if it does have the blades all over thing going. It's a specialty armor, and most armor in FF, depending on the game, is not that ornate. If everything is over the top, than it's just visual noise and nothing is special. I've always believed that for fantasy to hit on deeper level, the most fantastical elements have to be treated like a strong spice. Like all the regular warriors wearing the Dark Souls armor but the demigod boss character looks like a Five Star Stories mech. If everything is Cthulu monster, than the Cthulu monster appearing isn't shocking.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom