Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why has the perfect game not been produced?

Self-Ejected

ZodoZ

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
After like what 30 years why has the perfect game not been produced or even approached (crpg - wise)
The technology is there. Hardware is up to the task. Where is the bottleneck?

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Loose Cannon. It was meant to be GTA before GTA 3D was a thing. Second prize goes to Road to Moscow, an operations-level grand strategy game on Operation Barbarossa. Too much scope for its day.

Self-Ejected

ZodoZ

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
But seriously now, ZodoZ what is YOUR perfect game, what are the elements. Please enlighten us, and has there been a game that comes close to this perfection?
Yeah. Well my personal perfect game does not exist. Every game I purchase I hope will be but sadly much of the same.
There is incline, decline and everything in between.
People spend their life chasing the ideal but still...
I don't even have what approaches a concept of a perfect game.

Gregz

Arcane
After like what 30 years why has the perfect game not been produced or even approached (crpg - wise)

Every game has hundreds of deliberate design decisions that need to be made.

Some people love grinding xp from random encounters, other people hate it.
Some people love walls of exposition text, other people hate it.
Some people love crafting, other people hate it.

You can see that statistically speaking, it's impossible to satisfy many groups of people without pissing off many others. The chances that any game is designed exactly as you would have it be are impossibly low.

In fact, what ends up saving many games are mods. If you love a game, but features x y and z are intolerable to you, there's possibly someone out there like you who has modded around those features. In fact, I'm playing a game right now (Lords of Xulima) that I would have ragequit if it wasn't for a mod.

Last edited:

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Has there ever been a perfect novel? A perfect movie? A perfect song?

Perfection is not achievable in the subjective. One can only hope to ever achieve the greatest of what has come before you.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
The audience is lacking or absent.

A perfect game can only be perfect for the right audience; but what target do you shoot for? This is Bethesda's flaw; they shoot for more than one audience with their games, and you cannot hit the center of multiple targets with one shot... and so they make mediocre crap that is just tolerable enough by all, but not utterly superb to any. :(

Arrow_to_the_knee.gif

It is impossible to have the best FPS and RPG for instance, as the concepts are mutually exclusive, and self canceling. If you add enough of either, to be —exceptional— at it, then you dilute and diminish the other aspects; making them inferior examples.

Last edited:

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Because humanity isn't a big hivemind.

I mean, God Hand in my opinion is a perfect game, but people who never really grappled with this game, will of course complain, that it's an ugly looking game with stiff controls.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom