Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Why I doubt VaultDweller's next game, and ZA/UM is likely finished

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I hear people talking about when so and so was in his prime, he made this and that game, but then he "sold out", "declined", "aged", "became a SJW", etc. The idea is that so and so stopped making good games, and people can't make heads or tails of this. I read a lot of explanations, and it always makes me think of that picture where blindfolded guys are feeling an elephant with a jew face, and call it wildly different things.

When the truth is, broad strokes here, 90 percent of it is mental. At some point in a guy's career, he's just done it enough. He was hungry and had a big dream, but eventually he gets fed and that dream has come true, so how do you get up and do it again? Marvin Hagler, legendary boxer, put it this way: "It's rough to get out of bed to do roadwork at 5 am when you've been sleeping in silk pajamas".

So the question is: how do you do it? And mentally, you largely don't. As a semi-professional athlete, I draw a lot of my experiences from the gym. At the gym, they say a fighter can grow old overnight. Once they lose that hunger, they stop training as hard, they start eating junk, don't show to practice on time, they leave practice early, etc. But you don't see them compete every day, and only see them once or twice a year in the octagon, so question becomes - what did they do in the last 6 months?

With game devs, you see the fruits of their labor every 2 years for some of the top guys, 5 years for the average guy. So you really don't see a guy "decline" overnight.

And so what it comes down to: what did he do in the last 3 years? Did he get up every morning at seven, only the project on his mind or did he have wife and kids to think about? Did he work till 8, then went home, had a meal and then researched till eleven, or did he leave office at 6 and left work at work? Did he put his miles in regardless of whether it was raining outside? That's what he did when he was hungry. Did he do that in the last 3 years? Is he still playing video games for research and pleasure? Does he still play tabletop? Is he still exploring ways to get better all the time? Does he still hang in there?

So when I see VD saying he hasn't played this or that game when it's been MONTHS since it was released, it does make me reflect back on all these things.
When I see George Ziets say he hasn't played Disco Elysium "yet", it does remind me of all these things again.
Another great example of this is Avellone who notoriously doesn't play games at all. And I don't even have to mention Tim Cain who didn't know what a speedrun was until a month ago.

It's just grades of "doneness". Tim Cain is well done. Ziets and MCA are medium well. VD is probably medium to medium rare. ZA/UM are fried chicken bones due to their latest success that they can never match again.

What I'm offering to you is that none of them are blue rare.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
I've read this wall of text and can't agree with anything. Also your gym coolstories are irrelevant AND it was explained to you before in details (iirc).

Best regards, amateur kickboxer

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
ZA/UM has a hunger... a hunger for communism. And you well know that hunger can never be sated.

Those guys are cadre. Maybe they’ll burn out eventually, but I figure they’ve got at least one or two more projects before the magic starts to slip (or they give in to bourgeois decadence and sell out). Disco was only a fraction of the game they were planning to make. Hopefully they’ll be able to make the larger game happen now that Disco’s a hit.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Also, cheap clickbait title and no exploration of topic at all. Colony Ship will be bad? Why? Because Vince is old? I would read that thing, but all I see is some generic shit about Russian athletes (which are thankfully banned now).

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
So because VD didn't play the latest games, Colony Ship will be bad?

And what important these "latest gaems" could offer to influence the man who made AoD?

when I see VD saying he hasn't played this or that game when it's been MONTHS since it was released

You won't believe how much 1st class games I didn't play for YEARS after their release because, you know, no time.

Trashos

Arcane
When I see George Ziets say he hasn't played Disco Elysium "yet", it does remind me of all these things again.

Here on the Codex, Zeits said he enjoyed Kingmaker, and has also commented on TOW. So there is that.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
It's the matter of guidance.
Maybe Cain, Boyarsky, Feargus, Sawyer don't have the passion to make somethng new, but they certainly can carry the torch and legacy to younger generation of developers.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Didn't you already make a thread like this before?
I'm being confronted with the reality of people being unable to produce work after their first success on a regular basis. Patric Rothfuss? Can't even finish his trilogy, last book was published 9 years ago. Lev Grossman was a mediocre writer, until his sudden success and now he can't advance on his current book despite himself, and only releases mediocre and very short comic books on his Magicians world. George Martin, well you know the story there.

And it pisses me off. Because I'm in the same boat as these guys to an extent. I got rich and now I can't produce work. My CPU is trying to solve this problem in the background all the time. But there is no way out.

Shadenuat

Arcane
VD doesn't need Disco, because he has a different perspective how RPG writing should be, and it is actually closer to how pnp plays and is more advanced (choice placed not in flavours of roleplaying, but at character creation and critical points of the narrative).

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
VD doesn't need Disco, because he has a different perspective how RPG writing should be
Collegiate wrestling, greco-roman and free-style all have slightly different rules and goals - can you grab your opponent below the waist or not? Do you get away from the bottom position or do you avoid being turned? Many such things. But at the same time, they share many similarities and sure as Sam Hill, we watch all wrestling competitions, we know all the guys and we analyze them all. This is simply being professional, same as showing to practice on time with your gear. Nothing more to it than that.

Last edited:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
So when I see VD saying he hasn't played this or that game when it's been MONTHS since it was released, it does make me reflect back on all these things.
MONTHS? Oh my... I guess I'd better see a doctor or something.

I was busy taking it easy with Fallen Order and Sekiro. As for personal aspirations, AoD wasn't a dream come true but a first, flawed step toward that dream. Maybe after making 3 or 4 full-scale RPGs I'd feel old and tired and done, but right now all we care about is making hardcore RPGs.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
^ This is probably the most important piece of information out there regarding Colony Ship since forever. Glad to hear it.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
As you probably know, Ivan, our animator, the guy we worked with for 14 years, has passed away after being ill for months. It's a hard thing to deal with, so I didn't post any updates for a few months (it just didn't seem important). The work itself didn't stop, if anything we had to work harder because we had to find people to handle wearables and animations in the middle of the project, taking over after someone, fixing things a person meant to do later, etc.

Anyway, I will post an update in a few days and show what we've been working on. Having said that, you're right to doubt the game (or any other game). Just because we do our very fucking best doesn't mean the game will meet your expectations.

Trashos

Arcane
Any other self-help book wisdom you wanna drop on us, buddy? Conceive, believe, achieve?

As long as you are trying to find your bearings again, make sure that you do not lose your money. Even if it means that you put it somewhere where you cannot immediately use it.

Tigranes

Arcane
There's a point to be made about how creators can try and recapture the magic. In any case, most games / ccreative projects are shit 90% of the time, and that ratio doesn't suddenly become 100% after you do one great thing (which is what everybody expects). No, you're still working against the grain to push back that 90% of shit.

But the OP is running high speed down a weirdly specific hypothesis fueled by very partial snippets of info. I actually agree about MCA / Cain because they just seem like they haven't properly played a game in a decade, but playing video games right after they're released is a weird marker to use here. And it's barking up a weird tree for VD, who wasn't exactly playing every major release on Day 1 during AOD's development either. Just seems like a 'had a thought in the shower about how he hasn't updated in a while'. What was that about blind men and the elephant again?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom