Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why is Dragon's Dogma a top 101 rpg?

Deadass

Savant
got bored of it after 19 hours

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
What are you complaining about exactly?

I think I made it pretty clear in the post the problem of climbing enemies.
They aren't big enough to make the act of traversal challenging, fun or meaningful.
It's a relatively safe position, it's cost is easily solved by pausing the game to consume a potion and there's no choices other than where you want to attack.
It's overall a half-assed way to have warrior builds being able to attack weakspots.

I'm going to need a citation on this. I don't recall any sort of level scaling.

I did exagerate a bit in that part.
But still the enemies do get replaced with stronger versions of themselves as the main quest goes on (goblins with hobgoblins then grimgoblins, harpies with snow harpies, wolves with direwolves, etc). I mean you could say that they are different enemies since they have different models, but let's be honest they are still the same enemies, with the same behaviours and tactics but now only with a stat boost.

Last edited:

Grimlorn

Arcane
They aren't big enough to make the act of traversal challenging, fun or meaningful.
It's a relatively safe position, it's cost is easily solved by pausing the game to consume a potion and there's no choices other than where you want to attack.
It's overall a half-assed way to have warrior builds being able to attack weakspots.
You're just complaining for the sake of complaining and it doesn't even make sense. Climbing onto the giant enemies to attack vital points is a great mechanic. Why are arguing for less mechanics exactly? The stamina consumption issue is present throughout the game. You could argue that running out of it when using abilities in the middle of battle and being able to eat something to restore it is bad design. You could make the same argument for using potions in a game to restore health. Why only focus on the climbing aspect of stamina consumption? Enemies can grab you or throw you off as well. You're just nitpicking.

I did exagerate a bit in that part.
But still the enemies do get replaced with stronger versions of themselves as the main quest goes on (goblins with hobgoblins, harpies with snow harpies, wolves with direwolves, etc). I mean you could say that they are different enemies since they have different models, but let's be honest they are still the same enemies, with the same behaviours and tactics but now only with a stat boost.
That's not level scaling though and people, including me, have criticized the lack of enemy variety in the base game. The expansion area somewhat fixes this by providing a lot more challenging enemies and more variety. But you're still providing misinformation for people that may not know about the game or might be interested in it. People see level scaling and boss fights that take an hour and are going to be turned off by it.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
What are you complaining about exactly?

That's a funny statement considering that the Warrior class absolutely sucks at climbing and you generally shouldn't do it as a Warrior... Unless pausing every few seconds to consume a stamina pot is your idea of fun...

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
You're just complaining for the sake of complaining and it doesn't even make sense.

I don't think there's a way to put in more simple terms than that, so let me try a different approach.
Take Shadow of the Colossus for an example (it's the easiest comparasion in this particular situation).
In that game climbing enemies was a big part of the experience, but the challenge of those moments was figuring out how you're going to climb rather than the act itself like in DD. And even this latter part was way more involved in SoC since your stamina didn't recover while gripping a surface there was a risk/reward of either making a dash for it or hanging on, in DD this king of decison making is gone.
DD lacks these aspects because the enemies aren't big enough to support that kind of challenge, and since you can just pause the action and regain as much stamina/health as you want with itens there's also no challenge and risk to holding on.
The mechanic exists so melee characters can attack those weakpoints, but it's simply half-assed in execution and tedious after a couple of figths.
It doesn't enchance or supplement anything other than get you in a safe position and swinging around, and it's gameplay much much less involved than figthing normally on the ground. But if don't partake in it you're massilvely gimping yourself as the benefits for attacking the weakpoints are just too good.
So in the end what it amounts to is a gimmick.

he expansion area somewhat fixes this by providing a lot more challenging enemies and more variety.

Ah yes, big skeletons and enemy reskins with an HP boost. Great...

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Aha. Shadow of the Colossus had bigger bosses, therefore DD sucks. Got it.

Remind me, what else did SoC have, other then that boss climbing?

Sentinel

Arcane
Imagine unironically comparing SotC (a puzzle game with a single mechanic (and they still manage to fuck it up)) to DD. At least compare Monster Hunter mounting to DD or something, since both are action games.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Imagine unironically comparing SotC (a puzzle game with a single mechanic (and they still manage to fuck it up)) to DD.

Imagine missing the entire fucking point of a simple explanation and making inane conclusions from it.
Also SotC is an Action-Adventure title. :M

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Grimlorn

Arcane
Congratulations!
Your reading comprehension is worse than a 5 year old.

:excellent:
No we get your point. It's just retarded and inconsistent since the whole stamina mechanic exists outside of just climbing, it also encompasses running and using abilities and they gave players an easy way to restore it along with health. A lot of games have done this and had instant potion regeneration. If you want to argue that you shouldn't be able to pause and restore stamina or health or if you can it should restore slowly then that's fine. Has nothing to do with the climbing mechanic which is fun. it's not half-assed. You may say the stamina system or restoration system is half assed. Not the the ability to climb mobs and hit weak points because that's really stupid.

Sentinel

Arcane
Imagine unironically comparing SotC (a puzzle game with a single mechanic (and they still manage to fuck it up)) to DD.

Imagine missing the entire fucking point of a simple explanation and making inane conclusions from it.
Also SotC is an Action-Adventure title. :M
Your point is void the moment you make such a ridiculous comparison. Anything that follows is equally ridiculous. Implying that SotC's methodical climbing would in any way fit DD's faster combat is stupid.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
No we get your point.

No you clearly don't, the rest of this post of yours confirms it.
The problem is not the stamina system, I never even implied that. I said that being able to pause the game to recover health or stamina is one thing that really hurts climbing as a combat mechanic.
And you know what, I am not going to repeat myself anymore. My post is there, read it as many times as you want to.

the climbing mechanic which is fun.

For you.
I got bored of it after the Griffin quest, and sick of it's repetion by the time I got to BBI.

Your point is void the moment you make such a ridiculous comparison. Anything that follows is equally ridiculous. Implying that SotC's methodical climbing would in any way fit DD's faster combat is stupid.

Any of your points on action gameplay have been void the moment you claimed Sekiro has the one the best action combat systems ever made.
Oh and games in general considering you're a RDR2 fanboy.

Sentinel

Arcane
Any of your points on action gameplay have been void the moment you claimed Sekiro has the one the best action combat systems ever made.
Oh and games in general considering you're a RDR2 fanboy.
I'm happy to see you decide to completely change the topic, conceding that you're a moron.
But I don't think I ever said Sekiro has one of the best action combat systems ever made? I'd be happy if you could find me that quote.
And I don't think I'm a RDR2 fanboy, considering I've made a fairly lengthy post criticizing the game in the thread.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
The only moron here is you that couldn't even understand the point of a simple example and also can't even remember is own opinions.

Yep. Sekiro and Nioh have the best third person combat ever conceived. Sekiro's in particular feels so fucking good it's like a drug when you're in a sword dance with a boss and enter that rhythm.

And you are most certantely a fanboy considering you were the only poster in the RDR2 thread, that I remember, that didn't think the contrast between the extremely restricted missions and the sand box freedom outside of them was a glaring design issue.

Sentinel

Arcane
The only moron here is you that could even understand the point of a simple example and can't even remember is own opinions.

Yep. Sekiro and Nioh have the best third person combat ever conceived. Sekiro's in particular feels so fucking good it's like a drug when you're in a sword dance with a boss and enter that rhythm.

And you are most certantely a fanboy considering you were the only poster in the RDR2 thread, that I remember, that didn't think the contrast between the extremely restricted missions and the sand box freedom outside of them was a glaring design issue.
Notice the "third person" there? Sekiro and Nioh are both the best in their genre, for different reasons. I still hold that opinion. No, I don't include DMC/Bayo/NG in the same genre of DS/Sekiro/Nioh/LotF/Surge/etcetc.
I'm a fanboy because I disagree with an inconsistent opinion that thinks an aspect of rockstar games is bad in rdr2 but when it's present in the user's favorite rockstar game it's suddenly a non issue? ok lol.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom