Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Why isn't Expeditions: Viking more popular here?

Discussion in 'Expeditions' started by Safav Hamon, Dec 1, 2018.

?

Am I gay?

1. Yes

81.1%
  2. No

18.9%
  1. Kit Walker Totally Not Captain Shrek

Kit Walker

Are you satisfied with the current performance?

^ Top  
  2. Morality Games Arcane Patron

Morality Games
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Fair enough, but the problem there is that when everyone who asserts interest in a historical RPG are really just interested in a specific obscure setting, it's impossible to make a game with broad enough appeal to make it even in a full indie context.

You might as well say, "I don't want a historical RPG."

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Safav Hamon Savant The Real Fanboy

Safav Hamon
    The combat is so much deeper than in Conquistadors. You have 9 weapon types with 3 special abilities each, 12 offensive abilities, 21 support abilities, and 29 passive combat perks.

Conquistadors had less than half of that. Also because Vikings doesn't use a class system, you have more freedom to customize your builds.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    ^ Top  
  4. Darth Canoli Learned

Darth Canoli
    I mostly agree.

Still, i like the game and the settings.

Loading time/memory leaks issues killed it for me (it was alright until i hit the capital city), their biggest mistake was that clumsy engine, if it was optimized (or went 2D) with some marketing, it'd have been a hit.

Of course, there is a lot to improve if you want to make it a masterpiece but it's a good enough TB cRPG if you're not afraid of loading sessions or have a recent gaming PC.

^ Top  
  5. Ivan Arcane

Ivan
    too many crates

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. thesheeep Arcane

thesheeep
    I mostly wasn't interested because in contrast to Conquistador it didn't run on linux. And I did not love Conquistador that much that it would be one of the titles I'd switch to Windows for.
    Though reportedly it runs fine via Steam Play now, so I bought it a few days ago and will give it a go once I'm done with Battletech.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Safav Hamon Savant The Real Fanboy

Safav Hamon
    Does the next Expeditions have a larger budget?

^ Top  
  8. Morality Games Arcane Patron

Morality Games
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    The franchise weirdly got bought from Logic Artists by a publisher (which did *not* buy Logic Artists in the deal) who also contracted Logic Artists to make the third game.

It's basically unimaginable it doesn't have a bigger budget.

Also explains the enforced Roman theme. Rome is one of the marketing approved historical settings that can be used in games.

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Rahdulan Arcane Patron

Rahdulan
    I can't help but wonder what a different course this could've taken had devs reversed the order and started with, for example, Viking. Conquistador must've had limited appeal in comparison with that, let alone Rome.

^ Top  
  10. deama Savant

deama
    Show Spoiler

damn this aged well :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

^ Top  
  11. Multi-headed Cow Learned

Multi-headed Cow
    You're fucking kidding me. Why the hell did I even buy this game then?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. V_K Arcane

V_K
    Wait, what? Where are you getting that?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. ortucis Prophet

ortucis
    Same here.

Vikings or anything with Chinese setting. Boring as shit. I avoid them like plague.

• Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Pretty Erudite Patron

Pretty
    Atrocious loading times coupled with terble rest mechanics and small locations.
    It's several times worse than the most atrocious examples of unity isometric rpgs. It's Pathfinder: Kingmaker 1.0 initial loading time, but you have to endure it twice every time you want to rest.

The game is breddy good otherwise.

^ Top  
  15. Jimmious Arcane Patron

Jimmious
    I believe we are mixing two different issues here...

a) Why the game is not thoroughly discussed in the Codex
    Because it used to be in a subforum of its own, somewhere way down the list of subforums. You'd go there only if you were already interested in it

b) Why the game did not succeed commercially/became known
    The release was pretty buggy and that created an initial bad rep.
    Also it came out in a period of a slight Viking overdose with Banner Saga, a couple of RTS games etc. It doesn't help if your niche-y game is "one more in this setting".
    Finally, it indeed didn't seel its features well. It basically was "advertised" as Expeditions: Conquistadors BUT WITH VIKINGS.
    The game itself is pretty good at the moment afaik. Although I didn't really go back to it after the release, it is in my plans for the near future

^ Top  
  16. Ibn Sina Novice

Ibn Sina
    I remember playing it for a while before I got bored. It was a good game. A fine RPG but does not stand out to be remembered in the long run. The problem is that it lacked variety. The weapon variations and the Armour variations where minimal. Even if they were going for a historical settings, there should have been more weapon types. There where only two types of enemies I remember. Humans and wild wolves. Thats it.

I think if they had made it a pseudo historical setting with a spice of mythology and low fantasy it would have certainly increased the variety in the game.

^ Top  
  17. Darth Canoli Learned

Darth Canoli
    At some point, after murdering father and sons from a family, you have multiple options to deal with the women, one option is to murder them as well, i'm not sure but letting your men raping them first might be included.

I disagree, i'm not a Chinese settings fan and i don't recall enjoying a single game with Chinese settings (not that i played many) but according to Chinese history, there is quite a lot to cover and if a game developer would make a game with Chinese settings for westerners, it has the potential to be pretty good.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    ^ Top  
  18. ortucis Prophet

ortucis
    Yeah but I, personally, don't find Chinese culture or history interesting. At all.

Everytime I see a Western developer putting anything "Chinese" in their game, architecture or whatever, I just skip that game. It puts me to sleep and I just find it funny how Westerners are trying to always trying to throw this in somewhere in their works.. well these days, it's more about profit and they HAVE to add something Chinese. Like awful Chinese actors showing up in random movies for no reason. Or those dramatic shots of a disaster movie taking place in California, suddenly doing a cut to China for Chinese reaction of events. So fucking stupid.

• Racist Racist x 2
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Urthor Arbiter Patron

Urthor
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Didn't this game come ~top 10 in the GOTY thread???

It was great but nobody ever knocked it, it's just that unlike Obsidian there wasn't a 400 page thread of people raging about Josh Sawyer, people just quietly played it and enjoyed it.

• Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. HoboForEternity Arcane Patron

HoboForEternity
    Because most of codex are pretentious cunts blinded by nostalgia who actually have no taste aside from "muh classics" and lack the open minds to scout actual amazing games

• Agree Agree x 1
    • NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself x 1
    • (autism) (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Irxy Arcane

Irxy
    Project: Eternity
    Historical settings are boring. They can be fun when you do them like certain tv series do - with lot's of SEX & GORE & DRAMA & ACTION.
    This game has none of it. And while I personally enjoyed both expeditions and will likely buy the next one, the lack of major interest is understandable.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Skdursh Educated

Skdursh
    It's a really good game but at a first glance comes across as shovelware. I was on the fence about this game and conquistadors until I decided to try an "extended free demo" of the game and realized it wasn't complete shit, so I bought it, but on the surface it still doesn't give a great first impression from the Steam screenshots and trailer.

• :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Avonaeon Logic Artists Developer

Avonaeon
    Appreciate you buying after trying :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Skdursh Educated

Skdursh
    Lol, no problem. I'm glad you guys got a deal with THQ to make more, unless they booted all of you and put their own team on it or something, but I'm hoping that's not the case.

^ Top  
  25. BlackAdderBG Arcane Patron

BlackAdderBG
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    To formulaic. Vikings and Brits are not interesting, just like with Civil War and nobody that interested in it outside US. Also I disagree with Avonaeon talking about "non-fantasy setting", the game felt like it was a fantasy one, or more like having that Hollywood feel with cliche characters and situations. Map and how exploration of it worked in the first one was way more interesting and gave you that feel of unknown. The romans in the ruins part was just retarded, sorry, it threw the whole premise of realism out for me. I liked the game, just wasn't anything special. It would have been cooler to focus more on the management side and make it more strategy/tactical not RPG-ish.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)