Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Why Underrail is incline

Discussion in 'Underrail' started by Vlajdermen, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Vlajdermen Savant

Vlajdermen
    I've been playing Underrail since the end of last summer. It was the first game recommended to me by the Dex, though what finally sold me on it was that it was made in Serbia. I haven't finished it yet (I'm 40-50 hours in) but it's a great game so far, and there's some reasons for that that you don't see many people bring up that probably would've sold me on the game sooner. I'm here to point them out.

To get the small reasons out of the way first:
    • It runs perfectly even on an old ass PC like mine. It doesn't overheat it either; even though it's a relatively new game, it's as easy to run as Arcanum.
    • It's a pure gameplayfag game. The story never forces itself down your throat, and while that means the writing is bland, it knows how to get to the point and it's devoid of all autism. I never got the feeling that it was written by fat neckbeards (like that Morinth business in ME2).
    Now, the biggest reason I think Underrail is such hot shit is because of its similarities to Super Metroid. I don't know if that was the intended comparison, but the subtle electronic music, gloomy look, and maze-like world all had Super Metroid written all over it. As a result, Underrail also makes you want to snoop around every corner like a dog looking for truffles, and has the same type of relaxing atmosphere. You could also compare it to Dark Souls.

And thank Perun, there's no battle music.

If there's anything else to point out, it's that the combat has its shit together. It's just the right ratio of strategy, character building and luck. I always felt like hot shit after beating a tough group of enemies. It's also not above cracking some jokes. There's never too much of them and they're generally funny. One that stood out to me was a drunk at Core City named Guzomir (a local equivalent to Cornholio).

TL;DR just play Underrail if you haven't. It's quality shit.

• Brofist x 14
    • incline x 8
    • Agree x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. normie Scholar Patron Zionist Agent

normie
    I will, but I've been pushing off playing it since the expansion was announced, then thinking it would be soon

I can't give in now

• Despair x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Yosharian Cipher

Yosharian
    That's a pretty random reference for a thread about Underrail

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Trashos Arcane

Trashos
    Brofisted the OP, but I don't really agree that the writing is bland. UR has very good story and characters. NPC characterization is masterfully done, sometimes within just a couple of lines of dialogue. It also features some (rare but) really nerdy discussions on tailoring, biology, batteries etc, which is rare to see and I welcome it. I agree that the amount of writing is just right. But bland? No.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. Agame Liturgist Patron

Agame
    Agreed, it IS bland, but it gets the job done and doesnt get in the way of the game, unlike a certain other Fallout inspired game...

Show Spoiler
    Yes I do mean: ATOM "Its totally literary bro, you just need a higher IQ" RPG...

Thats a neat reference, now that you mention it, it really does have that feel with the tunnel system aesthetic.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Think big! Smoking Dicks

Think big!
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 6
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Trashos Arcane

Trashos
    I mean OK, some people call even Kafka's writings bland, because they are not full of adjectives and parallelisms, and they are not out to punch the reader emotionally. If you want to call that bland, be my guest. I call it "Thank goodness!"

Now, don't get me wrong, I can appreciate writers at the other end of the spectrum too. Honore de Balzac is awesome, and within the realm of RPGs Avellone is pretty talented as well. The problem here is that a lot of writers think they can do this style, while they can't.

TLDR: To me UR reads like someone/some people poured their heart and soul in the writing of this game. It is just not the heart and soul of Jerry the Punk. Fortunately.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Agame Liturgist Patron

Agame
    Trashos I agree, "simple" writing can be very powerful, many bad/hack writers unfortunately equate good writing with the "purple prose" phenomena. Leading to abominations like Pillars of Eternity.

And that is wonderful, but it does not mean they are a great writer. The writing for UR is functional, and I am happy with that, it fits the game perfectly. Now if you are trying to say UR writing is on par with Kafka I will just refer you to that jolly black fellow above...

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Trashos Arcane

Trashos
    No, of course it is not on par with Kafka. I think the reason why I used that analogy is clear.

I do believe that UR's writing shows great skill in NPC characterization, though.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  10. Twiglard Savant

Twiglard
    They could've done another pass over Junkyard's initial quests. The early game gives an impression of shitty writing. Once it opens up, it's as you said. YMMV.

It's PhrygianDominant being awesome and a fucking polymath. Even minutiae of his stuff on medicine is accurate (see logs on the morgue terminal). He lists an obscure off-label pill for insomnia. Disclaimer: I have insomnia.

^ Top  
  11. chucktooth manbare Literate

chucktooth manbare
    I've said it before, I'll say it again: this is the smartest game I've ever played, and that includes the writing/dialogue.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 2
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Stormcrowfleet Cipher

Stormcrowfleet
    I am the very unpopular opinion of not liking this game. I appreciate what it does, how it does it, and it's well made as far as a retro-rpg goes. But I don't have fun. Everything feel like a slug to me and I can't enjoy it: neither gameplay, nor story.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Lord Commissar Alexer Educated

Lord Commissar Alexer
    Is the Addon finally finished?

• Despair Despair x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. aeroaeko Learned

aeroaeko
    Some random stranger on the internet bought it for me because I joked about being too poor. I have never so much as installed it and unfriended / blocked him on steam. I still feel bad about it.

• WTF am I reading x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • :( x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Absolutely Haram x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Tweed Learned

Tweed
    Is the expansion coming out this year?

• Despair x 3
    • Yes x 1
    • No x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. chucktooth manbare Literate

chucktooth manbare
    That's how I feel about the vast majority of games I try to play, but I'm the exact opposite with underrail; it's hard to put down. I can spend weeks at a time on it.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. luj1 You're all shills

luj1
    Midlife crisis

• When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Edija Savant Patron

Edija
    It is probably the best RPG made in a decade, but Deep Caverns is just so poorly designed and conceived, it really shits on the whole experience. As much as I like the game, and as much as I'm waiting for Expeditions to hit to start a new playthrough, I wish Styg would redesign the whole area and give it some direction. Now it is just a massive time sink with a lot of backtracking.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Bro, do you even lift? Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Beggar Savant

Beggar
    In my first playthrough I was addicted to it. Yet I got tired of it pretty fast. Few re-runs and I don't wanna launch it anymore. You can spend lots of time fucking with it, mechanics are great. But it doesn't have any soul. I would rate Pathfinder and Divine Divinity higher

• WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 2
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. just Educated

just
    it brings out my autism

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • (autism) (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)