Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why Underrail is incline

Vlajdermen

Arcane
I've been playing Underrail since the end of last summer. It was the first game recommended to me by the Dex, though what finally sold me on it was that it was made in Serbia. I haven't finished it yet (I'm 40-50 hours in) but it's a great game so far, and there's some reasons for that that you don't see many people bring up that probably would've sold me on the game sooner. I'm here to point them out.

To get the small reasons out of the way first:
  • It runs perfectly even on an old ass PC like mine. It doesn't overheat it either; even though it's a relatively new game, it's as easy to run as Arcanum.
  • It's a pure gameplayfag game. The story never forces itself down your throat, and while that means the writing is bland, it knows how to get to the point and it's devoid of all autism. I never got the feeling that it was written by fat neckbeards (like that Morinth business in ME2).
Now, the biggest reason I think Underrail is such hot shit is because of its similarities to Super Metroid. I don't know if that was the intended comparison, but the subtle electronic music, gloomy look, and maze-like world all had Super Metroid written all over it. As a result, Underrail also makes you want to snoop around every corner like a dog looking for truffles, and has the same type of relaxing atmosphere. You could also compare it to Dark Souls.

And thank Perun, there's no battle music.

If there's anything else to point out, it's that the combat has its shit together. It's just the right ratio of strategy, character building and luck. I always felt like hot shit after beating a tough group of enemies. It's also not above cracking some jokes. There's never too much of them and they're generally funny. One that stood out to me was a drunk at Core City named Guzomir (a local equivalent to Cornholio).

TL;DR just play Underrail if you haven't. It's quality shit.

Trashos

Arcane
Brofisted the OP, but I don't really agree that the writing is bland. UR has very good story and characters. NPC characterization is masterfully done, sometimes within just a couple of lines of dialogue. It also features some (rare but) really nerdy discussions on tailoring, biology, batteries etc, which is rare to see and I welcome it. I agree that the amount of writing is just right. But bland? No.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
while that means the writing is bland, it knows how to get to the point and it's devoid of all autism. I never got the feeling that it was written by fat neckbeards (like that Morinth business in ME2).

Agreed, it IS bland, but it gets the job done and doesnt get in the way of the game, unlike a certain other Fallout inspired game...

Yes I do mean: ATOM "Its totally literary bro, you just need a higher IQ" RPG...
Super Metroid.

Thats a neat reference, now that you mention it, it really does have that feel with the tunnel system aesthetic.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
I've been playing Underrail since the end of last summer. It was the first game recommended to me by the Dex, though what finally sold me on it was that it was made in Serbia.
giphy.gif

Trashos

Arcane
I mean OK, some people call even Kafka's writings bland, because they are not full of adjectives and parallelisms, and they are not out to punch the reader emotionally. If you want to call that bland, be my guest. I call it "Thank goodness!"

Now, don't get me wrong, I can appreciate writers at the other end of the spectrum too. Honore de Balzac is awesome, and within the realm of RPGs Avellone is pretty talented as well. The problem here is that a lot of writers think they can do this style, while they can't.

TLDR: To me UR reads like someone/some people poured their heart and soul in the writing of this game. It is just not the heart and soul of Jerry the Punk. Fortunately.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Trashos I agree, "simple" writing can be very powerful, many bad/hack writers unfortunately equate good writing with the "purple prose" phenomena. Leading to abominations like Pillars of Eternity.

someone/some people poured their heart and soul in the writing of this game

And that is wonderful, but it does not mean they are a great writer. The writing for UR is functional, and I am happy with that, it fits the game perfectly. Now if you are trying to say UR writing is on par with Kafka I will just refer you to that jolly black fellow above...

Trashos

Arcane
And that is wonderful, but it does not mean they are a great writer. The writing for UR is functional, and I am happy with that, it fits the game perfectly. Now if you are trying to say UR writing is on par with Kafka I will just refer you to that jolly black fellow above...

No, of course it is not on par with Kafka. I think the reason why I used that analogy is clear.

I do believe that UR's writing shows great skill in NPC characterization, though.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I don't really agree that the writing is bland. UR has very good story and characters. NPC characterization is masterfully done, sometimes within just a couple of lines of dialogue.

They could've done another pass over Junkyard's initial quests. The early game gives an impression of shitty writing. Once it opens up, it's as you said. YMMV.

It also features some (rare but) really nerdy discussions on tailoring, biology, batteries etc, which is rare to see and I welcome it.

It's PhrygianDominant being awesome and a fucking polymath. Even minutiae of his stuff on medicine is accurate (see logs on the morgue terminal). He lists an obscure off-label pill for insomnia. Disclaimer: I have insomnia.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
I am the very unpopular opinion of not liking this game. I appreciate what it does, how it does it, and it's well made as far as a retro-rpg goes. But I don't have fun. Everything feel like a slug to me and I can't enjoy it: neither gameplay, nor story.

aeroaeko

Learned
Some random stranger on the internet bought it for me because I joked about being too poor. I have never so much as installed it and unfriended / blocked him on steam. I still feel bad about it.

I am the very unpopular opinion of not liking this game. I appreciate what it does, how it does it, and it's well made as far as a retro-rpg goes. But I don't have fun. Everything feel like a slug to me and I can't enjoy it: neither gameplay, nor story.

That's how I feel about the vast majority of games I try to play, but I'm the exact opposite with underrail; it's hard to put down. I can spend weeks at a time on it.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

Midlife crisis

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It is probably the best RPG made in a decade, but Deep Caverns is just so poorly designed and conceived, it really shits on the whole experience. As much as I like the game, and as much as I'm waiting for Expeditions to hit to start a new playthrough, I wish Styg would redesign the whole area and give it some direction. Now it is just a massive time sink with a lot of backtracking.

Last edited:

Beggar

Cipher
In my first playthrough I was addicted to it. Yet I got tired of it pretty fast. Few re-runs and I don't wanna launch it anymore. You can spend lots of time fucking with it, mechanics are great. But it doesn't have any soul. I would rate Pathfinder and Divine Divinity higher

just

Liturgist
it brings out my autism

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom