Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Incline Why VR can't(won't) win.

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Sheep, Mar 25, 2020 at 12:14 PM.

1. Sheep Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Sheep
    VR is the dumbest idea there ever was in gaming and hereby in this very thread I will share my issues with the concept and why it will ultimately fail and remain curiosity in the future. For that I will consider 2 reasons that have implications on each other in complete isolation, as to make it easier on VR.

I. The adaptability to different games/genres.

In theory you can use VR to do your daily work on excel spreadsheet, but obviously it's not something anyone would actually want to do, which however brings a question - what games will translate well into the new eh... screen system? Obvious first candidate are all sorts of first person shooters, however even early adaptations of "CoD-like" multiplayer shooter have shown that it's too fast and elements like quick respawns etc. make it at times nauseating to large part of the test audience(here I'm only using my memory of seeing an article about it back when OR was still a prototype that wasn't bought by Facebook yet). With the more recent attempts, especially Flop Life: xXxAnusxXx you can see that even idea of letting the player to move fluidly with use of analogue stick is something they'd rather have you to choose, as the default movement mode is "teleporting". Now I suspect it's not THAT bad, but the movement in general is bound to be slower and less fluid than you'd actually want from videogames.

That's just FPP game. The amount of issues the most obvious genre brought VR devs already shows you that we're in for a wild ride. Overall for FPS you can predict they're gonna get slower, more static and more of a "exploration-storygame" than actual shooters, meaning the dreaded influx of STORYFAGGOTRY into yet another genre, rotting it even more than consolitis did.

A place where VR will in my opinion succeed completely are simulators - flight, train, submarine, you name it. I don't think there's much to say here besides it.

With non-FPP games the problem again is that you can do it... but why would you? There's DOTA2 VR, I guess everyone prefers that to normal DOTA oh wait. It won't make even TPP game more "immersive"(what a silly idea it is that it would), obviously strategy games of all kinds are outside of the considerations.

II. The mass appeal

Just because you can make something work doesn't mean it will be bought. Let's say you'll make that CoD:Battle Royale:VR Edition work. It's mass appeal product adapted to new technology. For a mass consumer however, this comes at the steeper price(of at the very least the headset alone) while potentially being nothing burger. Are the VR companies capable of convincing the mass consumer that theirs is the product they should COOOMSOOOM now? Well let's think about it - it's potentially an improvement to gameplay experience that differs only partially from the base product. Meaning that even perfect adaptation of CoD:Battle Royale into VR will be essentially the same game... on 2 monitors strapped to your head. $400 for that one. Oh you're console gamer - I guess you're gonna have to play it with degraded graphics. Oh, you're a PC gamer - well if you don't want to get downgraded graphics better upgrade now(add $400 on top of headset).

This will unleash a vicious circle where nobody will finance a game that actually takes the most out of the little VR has to offer because the more half-assed attempts sold badly and the customer base is smaller, meaning slow death of the systems outside of simulation circles.

Therefore I conclude that VR must be destroyed its creators buried alive in mass graves, which later should be ploughed and covered in salt, as no life shall ever come out of their rotten bodies, rotting with the same vice their brains did as they pushed the VR meme.

• Agree x 4
    • Friendly x 3
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • Participation Award x 1
    • How DARE you!?? x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Sukhāvatī a.k.a. ManjuShri Patron

Sukhāvatī
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Bigg Boss Prophet

Bigg Boss
    When I was a kid this was VR.

[​IMG]

You kids and your complaints.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Old Old x 2
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    Inb4 Dexter mega shilling and butthurt.

Just like in real life, bro. It's all about that immersion.

• Yes Yes x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    Serpent in the Staglands Wasteland 2
    My top 10 suggestions, in no particular order:

1. CzechVR 251: Angry Missus (Kiki Minaj)
    2. CzechVR 096: Bouncing Huge Tits (Katarina Harlova)
    3. NaughtyAmericaVR: Gamer Gasm (April O'Neil)
    4. VRCosplayX: Queen of the Damned (Canela Skin)
    5. MilfVR: Banged my Stepmom (Bridgette B)
    6: VRCosplayX: The Road to El Dorado (Gia Milana)
    7: CzechVR: Asian Private (Polly Pons/Poopea)
    8: VRBangers: Cheerleader Diaries (Luna Star)
    9: VirtualTaboo: How I Met my Stepmother (Heather Vahn)
    10: MOODYZVR: MDVR-026 (Hitomi Tanaka)

And remember to sub to DarkDreams patreon for waifus.

• Funny x 4
    • Informative x 3
    • Brofist x 1
    • nice x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Mark.L.Joy Savant

Mark.L.Joy
    VR will always have place in niche market for sims cheaper than full setups, other games there besides puzzles and gimmicky will most likely always suck yes but mass appeal may come if they make it simpler to setup most people play shitty phone games ffs.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • sheeple sheeple x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. DJOGamer PT Arcane

DJOGamer PT
    VR will not replace traditional controls, but greater popularity and cheaper tech it will become more normal. Some genres like adventure, simulators, racing, puzzles and slower paced horror games will probably became dominated by VR thought.

Wong game:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. taxalot Gone forever. Patron

taxalot
    Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    VR won't win because most of us aren't alone in the house. VR won't win because families already won.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. tritosine2k Liturgist

tritosine2k
    https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/07/doom-co-creator-john-romero-skeptical-of-virtual-reality-fad/
    Called by Romero.

At least we'd get some new controllers out of it but nooooo, puny grippers with tingle effect are the moronism epitome.

^ Top  
  10. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    Serpent in the Staglands Wasteland 2
    Well if anyone's an expert on failure, it's Romero.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Sjukob Magister

Sjukob
    Why are you so mean ? :negative:

• gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Falksi Arcane

Falksi
    Remember playing that Nightmare game in Meadowhall's arcade. Loved it at first, blew me away, but the novelty soon wore off.

Breathe in the 90's............

^ Top  
  13. Red Panda Basically god Patron

Red Panda
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. RoBoBOBR Augur Patron

RoBoBOBR
    Because waiving your hands around is way more tiring than using mouse/gamepad.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Bro, do you even lift? Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    VR can have its selective uses in commerce, healthcare and tourism.... but why on Earth are they peddling this shit more than anything for gaming?

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  16. Dexter Arcane

Dexter
    Ah, the fated Cope Thread:
    https://www.roadtovr.com/steam-survey-vr-headset-growth-january-2020/
    [​IMG]

https://www.roadtovr.com/100-vr-games-exceeded-1-million-revenue/
    [​IMG]

This would be a lot less funny if most high-end VR HMD's weren't sold out since last November and new stock of tens and hundreds of thousands didn't sell out in a few minutes and make Steam buckle like their Seasonal Sales. :lol:

https://www.roadtovr.com/rumor-valve-index-stock-return/

But I thought Streaming was the inevitable future? It seems consumers have a choice in what they support with their money after all.

Unfortunately it's PSVR Excl000sive:

That wasn't VR, that was a Monochrome 3D Viewer.

Imagine being stuck at home for weeks during a Quarantine without even one VR Headset. :lol:

"Radio/Television/Walkman/The Internet/Video games/MP3 Players/Smartphones/etc. won't win because families"
    Like OK grandpa, eat your porridge.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020 at 8:25 PM
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • meh x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    VR could be a massive, massive success but it will never "replace" anything. It will be its own thing. There are many genres or styles you can't do in VR, and many people don't want to wear headgear during their relaxation time. The two can co-exist, like singleplayer and multiplayer.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Grauken Prussian automaton Patron

Grauken
    He has to look into the mirror every day

• Funny Funny x 1
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Sheep Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Sheep
    3 or 4 years on the market and barely 2 million users? Are you trying to prove VR flopped or what?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Doktor Best Arcane

Doktor Best
    Thats only SteamVR. Oculus has its own platform as does PSVR of course. Zuckerbergs estimations were far too optimistic of course but calling it a dead platform is pretty wrong also.

^ Top  
  21. Dexter Arcane

Dexter
    Another retard that doesn't understand growing exponential trends on Muh Codex? I gotta say I'm not very surprised anymore.

Also those are Active Steam users taking the Hardware Survey every month, there were already 4 million PC Headsets sold Early 2019 before the Index and Rift S were even on the market, it's probably somewhere around 6+ million by now: https://uploadvr.com/nvidia-ceo-four-million-vr/ with more coming: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1271440/Next_Gen_HP_VR_Headset/

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Grauken Prussian automaton Patron

Grauken
    Ah yes, the fruits of exponential business growth, every moment now the VR singularity will happen

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. DJOGamer PT Arcane

DJOGamer PT
    Imagine thinking there's currentely any worthwhile VR games and that VR will replace traditional control schemes. :lol:

^ Top  
  24. Dexter Arcane

Dexter
    Are you denying there's an exponential growth about doubling the number of VR users about every year? Do you think Half Life: Alyx will help or stop that trend in the coming months given the general popularity and Hype surrounding it (and the fact that most VR HMDs have been sold out due to it since last November and they're producing them as fast as they can), being the highest rated PC game this year so far and the millions of viewers watching Streams and Let's Plays?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi7KGA_i2r8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1SwlsZMUWE

Other than that I'm not sure what your argument is? It just seems like thinly disguised :butthurt:?

^ Top  
  25. Grauken Prussian automaton Patron

Grauken
    I'm making fun of you for using exponential when no business grows exponential forever but rather follows at best an S curve and you don't know the saturation point for VR business, which makes your whole yipping amusing when you really have no clue about the real size of your target market

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)