Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Will PoE be shit?

Will PoE be shit?

• Total voters

Shannow

Waster of Time
  1. It will be a great game.

2. It will be a good game.

3. It'll be ok.

Assuming 'It will be the finest party-based fantasy stealth RPG' is "great, good or ok" in your book. Otherwise I'm sure you'll still find something fitting.

But If you want to start a poll with "Will PE be the worst motorcycle mobile racing game in history" feel free to do so ;)
:troll:

Shannow

Waster of Time
Does "It could have been good, but J.E. Sawyer happened" means the combat is shit?
It means whatever it means to you personally.
To me it was many issues, from the idea to balance all classes around combat to many other decisions concerning classes and progression. But I haven't playe beta so I don't know how bad combat is ;)

buzz

Arcane
The real meaning behind the options in the poll:

dfkjvb.png

Last edited:

knockupwood

Novice
High density of diverse magic spells + items left the door open for a lot of creative solutions to be discovered. Isn't that the strong point of BG2 along with good encounter design ?
Well, that and Irenicus' awesome voice acting...

But as I understand it, Josh ain't too keen on ye olde BG2 spells - too may hard blocks and save or dies for his tastes. Even the blandest of the bland - the fireball is made blander in his view e.g. no friendly fire. If the game ends up full of different colored fireballs and rays and nothing else people will finally see that the much bashed AD&D wasn't so obsolete after all.
What the hell is a hard block?

Lord Andre

Arcane
High density of diverse magic spells + items left the door open for a lot of creative solutions to be discovered. Isn't that the strong point of BG2 along with good encounter design ?

But as I understand it, Josh ain't too keen on ye olde BG2 spells - too may hard blocks and save or dies for his tastes. Even the blandest of the bland - the fireball is made blander in his view e.g. no friendly fire. If the game ends up full of different colored fireballs and rays and nothing else people will finally see that the much bashed AD&D wasn't so obsolete after all.

an ability/spell that makes you immune to a hostile effect e.g. protection from magical weapons

the opposite would be a soft counter e.g. + 10 armor, 30% resistance to fire etc.

there has been a lot of discussion if this kind of rock/papers/scissors (hard counters) design model is good or bad. I think it's good, Sawyer thinks it's bad. I think it's good because a hard counter may or may not be useful depending on the situation while a soft counter will always be inferior to straight up damage dealing unless the soft counter can be applied for free (pre-buff) in which case the premise of a choice is negated.

Alex

Arcane

cinderblock01.jpg

Deleted member 11480

Well first we have to establish what's an RPG, then we can talk about PoE

Telengard

Arcane
No no no. First we must define the method by which we will decide what is an RPG, then we can classify what makes a good RPG, and only THEN can we decide if PoE fits the definition of a good RPG.

Glaurung

Liberal's alt
Shitposter
I think it will be better than Wasteland 2, but not as good as the classical nineties RPGs we all love.

I'm just hoping PoE doesn't do the "guess which skills are actually useful and which sound awesome on paper but have little to no gameplay implementation" thing at character creation, which oldschool RPGs were infamous for - namely more than half of the skill options provided by the game being almost completely useless. If I had to choose, I'd actually prefer a Dragon Age Inquisition-style of castrated skill tree, provided each skill was properly and comprehensively implemented in-game.

What is a definition, really, though?
But first we must ask: what is a question?

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm just hoping PoE doesn't do the "guess which skills are actually useful and which sound awesome on paper but have little to no gameplay implementation" thing at character creation, which oldschool RPGs were infamous for - namely more than half of the skill options provided by the game being almost completely useless. If I had to choose, I'd actually prefer a Dragon Age Inquisition-style of castrated skill tree, provided each skill was properly and comprehensively implemented in-game.

There's not a chance of this ever happening with Josh at the helm. There are five supplementary skills, and while some may end up more beneficial than others, none of them will be outright bad because they all provide some sort of systematic combat bonus.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom