Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Will PoE be shit?

Will PoE be shit?

• Total voters

Athelas

Arcane
Will I ever stop reading PoE as Path of Exile?
You could pronounce it as 'poo'...

...which may or may not bespeak the quality of the game.

Rake

Arcane
Sounds just like a game I will enjoy. :kingcomrade:
Me too, but then it would be better for them to go full Torment and structure the game aroung it's narrative. PoE will be combat heavy, BG2-like experience so the bland combat will hurt it. BG2 was a great game because of it's combat and magic system. PoE will be subpar in both accounts

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
:lol: And for 5 seconds or so you keep asking yourself "but... Path of Exile is already out, is thit a necroed thread or something?", and then, "ooooooooooooohhhh"

Every fucking time
Almost as bad as when blackguards 2 comes out.

Lhynn

Arcane
Me too, but then it would be better for them to go full Torment and structure the game aroung it's narrative. PoE will be combat heavy, BG2-like experience so the bland combat will hurt it. BG2 was a great game because of it's combat and magic system. PoE will be subpar in both accounts
The only problem i got with that is that PoE will be subpar in both accounts because of conscious decisions that lead it down that road. Its rather sad actually.

Rake

Arcane
The only problem i got with that is that PoE will be subpar in both accounts because of conscious decisions that lead it down that road. Its rather sad actually.
You are the only person on earth prefering Forgotten Realms to PoE setting, and so far everything i read makes it as if people like the setting and the writing, so i don't see why the narrative should be a problem.

Lhynn

Arcane
You are the only person on earth prefering Forgotten Realms to PoE setting, and so far everything i read makes it as if people like the setting and the writing, so i don't see why the narrative should be a problem.
I dont prefer the setting, have only played it in games, never bothered to DM it in my table, but it has far better plot hooks and more imaginative scenarios. PoE setting so far is pretty fucking uninteresting.
Wasnt talking about that tho, was talking about the combat.

Rake

Arcane
I dont prefer the setting, have only played it in games, never bothered to DM it in my table, but it has far better plot hooks and more imaginative scenarios. PoE setting so far is pretty fucking uninteresting.
Wasnt talking about that tho, was talking about the combat.
Sorry, my mistake. Somehow by both accounts i thought both narrative and combat.
Agree that both combat and magic will be subpar by design. That's not even about staying true to the IE formula, it's more that i disagree with Sawyer in key points about what makes fun gameplay.
Not that IE games were perfect in that, it's more that the only IE game i consider to have truly great combat is BG2, for precicly the reasons Sawyer is removing.
Same with itemisation/magic, where instead of following the BG/PS:T superior model, he chose the boring IWD one(in both accounts).

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
Sorry, my mistake. Somehow by both accounts i thought both narrative and combat.
Agree that both combat and magic will be subpar by design, and that's on Sawyer
The saddest part is that you cant really separate magic from combat in PoE.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Is POE *another* Obsidian game, meaning, good writing and everything else broken?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
dumbfuck.gif

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Well, as long as it's not frustrating and uber annoying like f.e. in DA:I I don't really mind.
If there's an interesting story, good atmosphere, and most importantly: meaningful C&C, I'll be satisfied.
So @those who have played the demo [Edit] beta [/Edit]: will I be?

Last edited:

Shevek

Arcane
@joni

The beta and all other info seems to suggest the game will have plenty of all of that.

Unwanted

DollarSign

Unwanted
Just tried the beta, it feels like a faithful recreation of the Baldur's Gate experience. A few things I found wierd while playing a Wizard with max INT:

Every spell level has four slots.
You can only have one of each spell memorized - no triple fireballs.
Party configuration is not functional atm, some layouts plainly don't work, others cause characters to bump into each other repeatedly.

There's a plethora of character creation options, race, subrace, culture, background, home nation. Not sure if most of these will have any reflection on the actual game beyond race (if that). It's good that selecting a culture actually changes your character's clothes.
Writing style feels a bit overly generically pretty, every other term goes something like Winding of the Winding Wind, location names in particular lack uniqueness - is it hard to come up with a few fictional names instead of Meadow Folk/Savannah Folk/Ocean Folk.

Also, what kind of racial name is "godlike"? :rpgcodex: Moar liek mutants amirite?

coffeetable

Savant
BG2 was a great game because of it's combat and magic system. PoE will be subpar in both accounts
bg2 was a great game despite its combat and magic systems

bg2 was a great game because of its scope. in particular, its combat and magic rocked because of the range of abilities and equipment available. the systems themselves were garbage

Shevek

Arcane
coffeetable

I dunno about you, but I find it weird to come to the Codex of all places and find people claiming that BG2 was great because of its combat. Its like we are suffering from post decline PTSD.

Athelas

Arcane
Well, it's certainly not considered great for the writing (though apparently people think highly of the writing for some reason).

Baldur's Gate 2 has good combat. You can have good combat even with a bad character system.

Shevek

Arcane
Good combat? Ya, kinda. Great though? BG2 was a game that did many things well. But to say it was "great because of its combat" is a bit silly.

Athelas

Arcane
Well, I should have said 'good to great'. You can be the judge of it for yourself.

Shevek

Arcane
Still not "great BECAUSE OF its combat."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom