Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Will Wright's SPORE

keeks

Novice
Some guy took pictures at Wright's presentation. The game doesn't look bad at all.

gromit

Arcane
This seems like the dream game he'd always wanted to make, and his fistful of The Sims money is letting him do that. I'm thankful that he's chosen to share his dream with us.

Saran

Scholar
Christ, it looks like this game might actually deliver.

Lets just hope that we dont get another "Fable", though, unlike Mr M, Will Wright has delivered, like them or loath them, the sim games have always done what they promised, whether its laying down roads and waterpipes, or wiping your sims dirty arse, they have all done exactly what they said on the box.

Fez

Erudite
Sim Ant was my favorite. I managed to get a stable ecosystem in Sim Life/Earth a few times too.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
spore_carebear.jpg

Awwwwwwwwwww.

Fez

Erudite
CARE BEARS! :shock:

It's hard to believe that you'll really get the variety of creatures implied. I can't help but suspect it will be like IC or Sim Life with lots of mix and match, but still familiar, creatures or they'll have certain body plans and just minor variations after that. But damn, if he pulls it off as promised it will be awesome and maybe even a game we'll still be talking about in ten or more years.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Have you messed around with Sims 2, Fez? The Body Shop portion of that game lets you do all sorts of whacked stuff and you can pretty much emulate ANYONE in real life. I've seen everything from Clinton to Jennifer Lopez and they looked spot on. If that's what he's using for the creature builder, I think there will be plenty of variety to spare.

Fez

Erudite
I've played around with the character/face builder, it was pretty impressive, but I found it boring and eventually and I couldn't be bothered to try to emulate a celebrity. It was somewhat unwieldy to use.

That character builder is vastly different from what he is claiming though. Making small cosmetic and superficial changes to a single (human) species is different from this godlike life creating engine. Everything from single-celled creatures to mammals and then intelligent beings and cities and spaceships? The scope is fantastic. Will it really be so varied? Can they really make a solid game with all those features and not have the illusion broken after playing it for a while? Will it be endlessly playable or repetitive once you notice the same things appearing time and again? Will the choices for the player turn out to be the choice to follow the optimum path or else play badly and suffer for it? We'll only know when it comes out. All too often I've played OMG REVOLUTIONARY (!) games like B&W, only to see through it's poor sham. It's such a huge promise and so far ahead of everything else that has been done or promised it will take a hands-on experience to believe it all, but bloody hell, I sure as hell want him to pull it off. I've dreamed of a game like this since playing the original Civ.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Well, it's Will Wright we're talking about here. He's got a decent track record for delivering on his promises, unlike that Molyneux fuck who has yet to do so. I remember watching a video for B&W a loooooong time ago where Pete was showing off the camera and how you'd be able to go all the way out to entire world view and then zoom in close enough to see a worm in an apple. Yeah, sure thing there Pete. Way to deliver.

Fez

Erudite
I listened to that guy's podcast thing and his awe and enthusiasim throughout it all has rubbed off on me. It sounds fantastic. I listened to the full hour and didn't even get annoyed when he said "it looked beautiful!" for the nth time.

If you have not yet had a listen, go and get the download, it's worth it for the descriptions. It takes a while to get into it and they guy's obvious excitement makes him stumble a bit, but it does give you a good feel for how it went.

Astromarine

Erudite
the thing about having each other's civilizations living somewhere in the galaxy for us to conquer is REALLY intriguing me. It really looks like there's no end to the possiblities. Did you read that about the game procedurally figuring out how to animate the creatures, no matter how many legs and what size they are?

Fez

Erudite
Yeah, and the part where the game will work out itself how to blend animations together, so creatures can eat and drag a body and walk at the same time. It seems to have some kind of real physics, as things will slide down hills if left on the slope. When a creature is eating it can tear of pieces from the corpse and swallow them bit by bit.

PennyAnte

Liturgist
The team must really be made up of crack mathematicians to do this kind of programming.

But on another note, all the business about the team encountering each other's civilizations and so forth in space seems to imply that an Internet connection might be required at some point to fully play. That might anger some players who buy it off a shelf (think people who were annoyed to have to install Steam to play Half Life 2 even though they bought the game in a box, not via Steam).

I want the game to procedurally seed my galaxy with other civs, and give me the option of downloading other civs people post in any number of places online after building them.

I especially don't want galaxy mode to be fulfilling only if I pay per month to play and hook up to an EA server. It better use an expansion business model, not an MMO model.

almondblight

Arcane
Could be like EVO, which would rock. I do wonder what would happen if you're a rat and get invaded by advanced aliens though. Shall wait and see.

Fez

Erudite
PennyAnte said:
I want the game to procedurally seed my galaxy with other civs, and give me the option of downloading other civs people post in any number of places online after building them.

That's already in.

littleboy

Liturgist
I would hope that the past evolutionary steps in your ladder would stay present in the game, so that you could see the small odd creature that walked out of the sea when you are an advanced sim.

I also wonder i the flora ( like the trees) would be procedrualy evolved to be different each game, that would be nice. Or if you could evolve into flora, that would be even better, if not i smell a mod.

Fez

Erudite
If it isn't already in, I would suspect it wouldn't take a huge leap to implement it, considering how good the tools are already.

gromit

Arcane
The tricky part with that was that each facet of Planet was an individual creature. It was one big symbiotic party, and something that complicated might take some serious rewrites.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
PennyAnte said:
The team must really be made up of crack mathematicians to do this kind of programming.

Crack Mathematicians:
1st crack-head: "How much you got?"
2nd crack-head: "I got one rock. Plus a capsule."
1st crack-head: "Just count the rock man"
2nd crack-head: "Okay, I got one rock. What you got?"
1st crack-head: "I got one. If only we had stiffed that junkie for more"
2nd crack-head: "Yeah"
1st crack-head: "Well, one and one makes two. We got two rocks"
2nd crack-head: "Cool. Two. Sure?"
1st crack-head: "Yep, lets go smoke some"
2nd crack-head: "Kay"
1st crack-head: "How many grams you think that shit is?"

:roll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom